Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s this for? Emergency light on dash
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: What’s this for? Emergency light on dash Reply with quote

Hi,

Since I bought my bus I noticed this light, it does not work but I would like to know what is this for? I heard that it was exclusive for ‘65 buses and that it was an optional accessory from the dealer. Does any one of you have information of this emergency light?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

‘63-‘65, if I recall correctly. Flashes when the four-ways/hazards/emergency flashers are switched on. Is the wiring correctly set up, bulb could be burnt out, etc.

What is that switch on the far left for?

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

Oddly, the 4-way flasher light is not described in the '65 manual. I have two '65s so of course I have those. The closest we get is a small airbrushed light above a "13" in the owner's manual- just to show it's on there, but the 13 refers you to the wiper pull switch beneath it. It is also not shown in the '64 owners manuals- nor is it described in diagrams. In '66 of course they went to a lighted (flashing) integrated pull switch. Thus, I've always assumed it to be a '65 only item. But, it was across the board as a safety feature. Not dealer installed and certainly no rarer than any '65 out there. You can verify buy removing it from the dash and you'll find a punched/painted hole. I once won a bet by identifying a '65 dash in a swap meet because of this limited feature. It may have been "progressively refined" during the '64 model year- after press time of the manuals. There, that's everything I know. About anything.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
‘63-‘65, if I recall correctly. Flashes when the four-ways/hazards/emergency flashers are switched on. Is the wiring correctly set up, bulb could be burnt out, etc.

Correct.

It's not an accessory or add-on - it's stock.

General info:
The switch under it is the wiper switch - the emergency light switch is the pull knob to the right of the headlight switch.

62DoKaGuy wrote:

I'm interested too - That is not stock.
It sort of looks like a lighter but... Not.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Correct.

General info:
The switch under it is the wiper switch - the emergency light switch is the pull knob to the right of the headlight switch.

62DoKaGuy wrote:

I'm interested too - That is not stock.
It sort of looks like a lighter but... Not.

Thanks Everett,

Yes, apparently it is a lighter, the post I took the picture from explained what it was, in my case, my dash have the same hole but not the lighter, that's a shame. Any ideas how to make functional this light?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Correct.

General info:

It is an accessory. German spec buses don't have them. It is part of the US specs package. It's accessory that all US sold 65 buses have.
And for some reason the info is not in the wiring diagram.

To get it to work, first pull the switch to make the emergency flashers work. Do they?
If the flashers work, then use a test light to the wire that plugs to the bulb in that light to see if there is power to the bulb as the flashers flash.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

I don't think of that as an "accessory" since it's stock for all N. American Buses but it would be nice to find it shown in some VW diagram. I'm sure VW did a supplement at some point.

Anyways OP, this post may or may not help you if you want to check out the wiring is connected correctly, it lists someone's '63 and the wiring colors and connections for at least '63 and '64:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662422
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

A diligent member made this accurate '65 diagram. It should be added to the wiring drop down as it is exactly correct in all manner except it doesn't show the wiper "park" wires that were '65.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1854022.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1854846.jpg
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Emergency light on dash Reply with quote

It looks he made that for his '63 1500cc Bus?

Full entries:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1854022
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1854846

Nice find, it should apply and shows the emergency light on the dash in there too

Edit: I added those to the wiring section - I see this was discussed in his thread about his Bus but never really formally finalized or requested.

Last edited by EverettB on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't think of that as an "accessory" since it's stock for all N. American Buses

Fair enough. Like steering locks are standard on euro 63-67s, so are they an accessory? Maybe to think of it as a US spec thing, like overriders on the bumpers.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I don't think of that as an "accessory" since it's stock for all N. American Buses

Fair enough. Like steering locks are standard on euro 63-67s, so are they an accessory? Maybe to think of it as a US spec thing, like overriders on the bumpers.

Perhaps "option" might be a better description?, part of a group of things included as standard when a bus is M coded for US or Canadian delivery.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Emergency light on dash Reply with quote

My Germany delivered '65 has the warning light and flasher circuit like the new link.
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Emergency light on dash Reply with quote

To add a bit confusion:

In Germany a second indicator is mandatory when a trailer hitch is installed. It will only flash when a trailer is connected and indicates that all bulbs on the trailer are working correctly. The indicator flashes when switched to right/left and emergency...
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Like steering locks are standard on euro 63-67s

Where did you get that idea?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:

You got me there because I do think of that particular thing as an accessory.

I like spec better. US Spec, Euro spec.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Perhaps "option" might be a better description?, part of a group of things included as standard when a bus is M coded for US or Canadian delivery.
exactly.

Its just semantics, but:
Option or spec is how something is built at the factory.
Accessory is something extra that is attached to the car at any point after it is delivered.

The same item can be an option or an accessory depending on when it is put on the car. A steering lock is a great example of that.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
Clara wrote:
Like steering locks are standard on euro 63-67s

Where did you get that idea?

From any euro 63-67 bus I've looked at.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s this for? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:
exactly.

Its just semantics, but:
Option or spec is how something is built at the factory.
Accessory is something extra that is attached to the car at any point after it is delivered.

The same item can be an option or an accessory depending on when it is put on the car. A steering lock is a great example of that.

Greg's M201 66 SC is euro spec, no port code. It did not have flashers when new, but did come with steering lock, euro lights, euro bumpers, etc. just normal 66 SC sold in Germany, only special thing was the M201.

Flashers were added at some point in the past. I was told by the PO that it was required for them to be added when the truck was brought to the US, to bring it in line with US rules.
The parts used were later than the 66 truck.
So you are saying you would describe it as having accessory flashers? optional flashers? It looks to me like it was done by a VW dealer, as they used VW parts. FWIR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: