Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
Fair-cooled wrote:
Thanks Maddel ! This is great, I’m sure this photo added to the other information is going to finally allow me to finally access my battery and surrounding area. I’ll be trying this out tomorrow ( can’t today...other commitments ) and reporting back, with photos...

Two more things crossed my mind...

It may help to remove the kick panels and inspect the area below the bench (at least at the drivers side).
With the kick panels removed you can also access the bar/rail which holds the leading edge of the bench.
Try to carefully pull that bar forward and the bench up at the same time. A helper comes in handy here.

Not sure if your seats have the original covers/upholstery.
Custom upholstery is often thicker than the original. Thus the rear seat bench's fit may be much tighter.

I have also considered removing the left ( opposite side from he battery ) lower
kick panel. I will be trying this during my next beetle work...soon !
My seats WHERE recovered with heavy ( thick ) cloth by the PO. So a few factors seem to be at play here. I admit I will be very surprised ( and p*ssed off ! ) if all of the help given ( and I am greatful for all this help ) doesn’t result in me removing this sear cushion in fairly short order.

Thank you again Maddel.
Darren.

Seize the day...not the Engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Have you looked up your owners manual in the archive section at the top?
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes yes...FIRST THING I DID.I used to like Haynes Manuals more than I find
I am lately. But rests assured calvinater, the first thing I ALWAYS DO IS READ MY MANUAL.

Have a nice day Popcorn

I drink milk. Much healthier than coca-cola. But since I don’t wear branded clothes I have a Nike shirt you can have if you like.

Darren.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

What is a battery box that would fit a 1970.....
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
What is a battery box that would fit a 1970.....

Unless someone can answer you Frodge, you may have to maker your own measurements. I wish you luck Frodge,
Maybe a 12 Volt battery holder from a camper and Camper/trailer supplier
Frodge ?

Good luck,
Darren.

Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Try pulling the release on the seat back, lifting the top of it forward a little. This should take some pressure off the “Squab”. Then push in and up on the seat bottom. Hopefully, the PO didn’t glue the ting down, or something.

Tim

BINGO TIM ! Where is that freakin no good PO?!! :snipersmile:

The dumb twit DID glue the seat cushion down ! So, here comes another expense. I hope it isn’t too much 💵 to have a new bottom piece sewn on, but it looks like it is going to happen...and because winter comes early in these parts, it will need to be done soon, so I can either remove the battery, or put it on a battery tender.

Thanks for helping me find this frustrating problem all !
Darren.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: