Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

Finally got the new shoes installed. 18x8 ET47. 245/40/18 These are the Audi rims. I believe they were on several S-line cars from 09-13. The center bore is already 66.65mm on these, so they are "bolt on's," No modifications to the rims needed.

20mm hub centric spacers on front. I may have been able to squeak by with 17mm spacers, but finding them was near impossible. I may also swap out for adapters rather than bolt through spacers yet too. Just for piece of mind.

Nothing on the rear "yet." I'll prob. go with about 10mm of spacer on the rear.

Had to cut the ridge off the bearing caps to clear the hub centric ring on the spacers I used. Just used my trusty Dremel to cut and deburr.

Went with 45mm bolts and a 17mm head because the center covers will need them to be installed. The covers are a star design not a circle. Those should be delivered soon.

I tested full lock in both directions in a parking lot and drove on the hwy / town....no rubbing from turning, bumps etc.

The speedo is only about 2mph off at 70mph via GPS. The gearing feels ever so slightly taller, barely noticeable.

Only down side is there aren't any real A/T style tires in this tire size available. But may be if someone wants to go to a bigger tire. (not my intention.)

Oh...did I mention these rims/tires are a $100 Craigslist find? Laughing

Here is what I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-20mm-Wheel-Adapters-5x112-66-6mm-Bore-14x1-5-Stud-For-Audi/223411131776

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MED09UY

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5LN8WT

$31.99 for front spacers
$36.88 for longer bolts
$39.95 for rear adapters
$108.82 total for hardware

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense

Last edited by a2wolfsburggli on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:15 am; edited 5 times in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

Looks good Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

Well, looks good to me, visually. ON the tire size calc I dug up, the 245/40/18 tire is 25.7" diameter. So, other than wider, its not all that much taller than a stock tire.

Regarding the load issue, I'd go with ugly proper rim/wheel combo for safety for the sake of my kids. If it were just me, I'd go with awesome looks and as close to spec as I could find.

Overall, I like the project you've got there.

-bobby
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

...Regarding the load issue...

Overall, I like the project you've got there.

-bobby

Load issue?

Thanks!

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

Load issue?

Thanks!

Well, I assume you know that the rubber part on Vanagon wheels is supposed to be load rated something like 99(+) or C(+). Hard to find 18" tires that are C or D rated, isn't it? Maybe I am mistaken, and there are plenty?
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Well, I assume you know that the rubber part on Vanagon wheels is supposed to be load rated something like 99(+) or C(+). Hard to find 18" tires that are C or D rated, isn't it? Maybe I am mistaken, and there are plenty?

Load rating is anywhere from 97-109. My tires are 97R XL

I don't carry water in the tank, I just don't use it. I'm not loaded up with big heavy bumpers or roof racks of gear or awnings or showers or all manner of aftermarket gear.

I'm ok on load rating...thanks for your concern.

Last edited by a2wolfsburggli on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

Good to hear that you are on top of the homework part for the load rating. I can imagine myself going as low as 97, but I would probably keep looking for options and / or replace tires more often than my usual (personally, I use the tread wear bar) routine. Perhaps keep to a shorter than 7 year replacement as per suggestion by manufacturers? I also know folks out there that actually replace tires every year regardless of condition. Those are the ones I like to keep an eye out for at the local tire shops, for farm vehicles and hay racks, etc.

Just one more question. Did you look into the rim's rated capacity?

-bobby
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Just one more question. Did you look into the rim's rated capacity?

-bobby

Nope, it's an Audi rim that comes on S-line vehicles from the A4 to the Q7. If it's good enough for that, I'm pretty sure I'm ok.

Again....thanks for your concern.

a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

Center Caps arrived from fleabay. They fit on the front without modification.

The rears will fit too once I get a spacer and longer studs back there.

Went on a 400+ mile camping trip last weekend. Tires and Rims preformed flawlessly. Was even off road a bit in some soft sand to get to an abandoned logging camp. I have to say, its nice to have the added traction of the snow tires, since there aren't any real offroad tires available in this size.

a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 18x8 ET47 B8 Audi rims installed Reply with quote

Got the rears fitted with some spacers (adapters,) a little while ago. Wanted to update the thread. Looks more proper now and it's a bit more stable in crosswinds. Have about 600 miles on this full setup now.

20mm adapters. Nice thing with this solution is there isn't a need for longer rear studs. It all just bolts up. Takes a lot of the complication out of the upgrade.

Here is what I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-20mm-Wheel-Adapters-5x112-66-6mm-Bore-14x1-5-Stud-For-Audi/223411131776

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MED09UY

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5LN8WT

$31.99 for front spacers
$36.88 for longer bolts
$39.95 for rear adapters
$108.82 total.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: