Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaggieMay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Need to replace my doghouse fan, searches come up with some saying 36mm fan, and some saying 35mm.
113119031B part number Shows 35mm fan 1971 and later.
I’m finding all sorts of fans listed as 36mm as well as some 35mm both using this part number
Are there really two fans 1mm difference? Or is this just a discrepancy in measuring?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

You might be confussing the fan shroud with the fan. There is a 36 HP style aftermarket fan shroud. This is an aftermarket fan shroud that resembles the shape of a 36 horsepower VW fan shroud and uses the later 35mm wide fan and the later doghouse oil cooler.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

I think they kept getting wider over the years. The 36 horse fans were really narrow. The 40 horse fans then the 1300-1500-1600 sp fans were wider like 32mm and again the doghouse are like 37mm or something or maybe that's a aftermarket doghouse fan or something mine doesn't measure that wide but you want the one they call the 37mm fan for a doghouse dp engine.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

I'll add to the confusion. I thought I read there were two thicknesses of doghouse fans somewhere on the Samba. Do a lot more searching and find out what was said; it's here somewhere, or maybe in one of the Beetle forums. Decades ago, I fit a doghouse setup on my 40HP, but it was a used set so it all fit together. I later heard there were multiple configurations.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

You need the 37mm WIDE Version (also called DOG HOUSE FAN)

If it's close to 32mm or under you have an earlier style (not dog house)

You need to run the proper width fan with the dog house shroud for full cooling power.
hydro50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Where on a shroud would you measure to determine which one it is?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
You need the 37mm WIDE Version (also called DOG HOUSE FAN)

35mm
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

it would be nice if there was some wicked aftermarket performance version that sucked from both sides of the shroud!! I seem to remember one I bought new back 20 years ago was 37.6 wide ( by my digital calipers) but I werent real straight...I seem to remember it was a bugpoop fan, it almost looked hand formed on the raidi formed section...but it never came appart. the one oe dogystyle was skeery outa balance ( spun up off engine) I added some weights got it about half of what it was or better. you would thunk there wood bee somethen better out by now for a antique car....
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
it would be nice if there was some wicked aftermarket performance version that sucked from both sides of the shroud!!

Like the Porsche 4 Cam?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

yes glen, i knew you had the pics.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Doghouse cooling fan 35mm vs. 36mm is there such a thing? Reply with quote

If you measure in between the ~1mm thick side walls then you will get 35mm. If you measure the actual outside width of the fan it's more like 36.5 - 37mm. Hence everyone's confusion and vendors with different descriptions.

If its advertised as anywhere between 35mm-37mm then that is the late style wide fan ( all dog house cooler shrouds, 1971 and on )

If it's about 32 mm then you have an earlier fan ( before 1971, earlier style oil cooler and shroud )

If you use the skinny fan on a dog house shroud you wont move enough air or cool properly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: