Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas tank filler sleeve,,...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

I have the gas tank filler neck located on the driver side of the hood. The filler neck sticks out quite a bit, but for the time being I would like to put a rubber sleeve to cover the hole, Just don't know where I might get it. Something similar to this perhaps?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my buggy, hope you can see the hole...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

Do an internet search for "gas filler grommet" and take your pick. I see many listed with inner and outer diameters. Measure what you have and see what fits.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

I'll have to take better measurements. Future improvements is to cut the neck down and add a filler door..I really don't like the neck sticking out so far.Thanks for info...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

In that location if you shorten neck it will slosh out gas like mad.... Probably best thing to do is put filler near top of tank....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

Dale M. Really?... But I've seen them in that location on many other buggy's. I need to know for sure before I start cutting thing up....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

Ya, that's kind of butt ugly on such a nice clean Buggy!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Dale M. Really?... But I've seen them in that location on many other buggy's. I need to know for sure before I start cutting thing up....

Just as soon as you pull out fuel nozzle, because top if tank is higher than top of filler, if not pretty damn close....

The old tape measure will tell....

Dael

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

Mmmm food for thought.. Thanks...
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

What Dale said, he knows. It's a lot of work to relocate a filler but you will be much happier. Just went through this myself. And mine ain't pretty!

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

gtrplyr, OK, when you cover that hole would you mind taking pics sand posting of how your doing it?. Its a mighty big hole to fix after its all said and done...This is all new to me.. Thanks...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

No doubt Dale seems the go to guy for all this information. Very much appreciated for sure..
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

With the hood off, just look at the tank and the angle it is mounted and you will understand why you can't shorten that filler when in the lower location.

I would sand and paint the filler neck and the gas cap, find a nice rubber grommet, and enjoy the car as is.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Powaypete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

When you move the filler neck to the top (very highly recommended), fill in the old hole. If you can't match the paint color, it's a candidate for a racing stripe (it will make you go faster too). Very Happy

We're all here because we're not all there.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Like I said for the time being, I will use the rubber sleeve, and make it pretty until then. I ordered a sleeve for a 67 bus, witch I understand will work in the situation..
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
In that location if you shorten neck it will slosh out gas like mad.... Probably best thing to do is put filler near top of tank....

Dale

Doesn't the '61-'67 tank have a sealed gas cap and a separate vent line? If so, run the vent line up so it goes above and behind the tank, then back down the right side, and finally exiting below and forward of the tank on the right. That makes it roll over resistant and should keep the gas from making it out when braking and turning.

That is a very traditional location for the gas filler, using the stock gas tank. I would suggest a fitting grommet and perhaps a little paint and polish detail for it. Run it with pride.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
No doubt Dale seems the go to guy for all this information. Very much appreciated for sure..

Thanks for the kudos, but I'm just another fish in the barrel trying to get something that has good appearance... I struggled for weeks on how to do the fuel filler thing....

It was around 2000 when the concept of high tank fillers and fuel doors came into concept, guess I was just with some of the first to accept concept.... Have not seem better concept since...

Dale

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

Well I finally got the filler neck grommet for my tank. Kinda like the one I have pictured here at the top. Except its a lot more flat. Its from a 67 bus. It will cover the hole in the hood. It has a groove in the middle, and it is tight slipping it in around that . Does anyone have any tips as to how to slip that grommet in that hole. I was thinking perhaps some w-d40 and maybe a small screw driver and ride it along somehow. Thought I'd ask here first. Don't want to end up scratching up the hood try... Any ideas? Thanks ahead...

It looks exactly like this one, with the groove in the middle.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Well I finally got the filler neck grommet for my tank. Kinda like the one I have pictured here at the top. Except its a lot more flat. Its from a 67 bus. It will cover the hole in the hood. It has a groove in the middle, and it is tight slipping it in around that . Does anyone have any tips as to how to slip that grommet in that hole. I was thinking perhaps some w-d40 and maybe a small screw driver and ride it along somehow. Thought I'd ask here first. Don't want to end up scratching up the hood try... Any ideas? Thanks ahead...

It looks exactly like this one, with the groove in the middle.

I use a paint stir stick sanded a little so it does not dig into the rubber.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

I'll try that, but its pretty tight...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler sleeve,,... Reply with quote

EVfun.thanks for the venting advise, I just might do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: