Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wire connector for the coil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

I have a new Distributor with the flame thrower 3 in it. I now have the recommended coil. But it did not come with the blade connectors.

I have searched and searched, but can't find this 3 blade style. Any ideas where I could find a couple? Does this type connector have a particular name?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

Ace Hardware has them in the in those small trays in the hardware asle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Ace Hardware has them in the in those small trays in the hardware asle.

I will be by there later today.... But I sure can't find them on their site. 744 things but not that.

just like other bus parts, the 1st thing that pops up is some damn UK site. They show a 2 blade version, but it is not the right size and it is out of stock.

This is what an old boss used to call a "dime holding up a dollar." in this case 50 cents holding up $10,000. Rolling Eyes

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/7/category/2
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

I have singles, you can stack them to make 3.

If you want I can mail you 3, just PM me your address.

I have to flatten them so they fit in a letter envelop, but you can easily bend them back.

Something like this might help.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I have singles, you can stack them to make 3.

If you want I can mail you 3, just PM me your address.

I have to flatten them so they fit in a letter envelop, but you can easily bend them back.

Something like this might help.

I did find those. Gonna keep that option in my back pocket.

Thanks tho.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

take them off the old coil
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Sometimes you are a big help.... sometimes not. Do you really think I would not do that? How 'bout you send me an old coil with them on it.

This bus has not been registered since the early 90's. It has been in a field being picked over... then it was a forced purchase when a PO bought another bus. Then he picked over it and sold it to a bunch of 15 YO kids that could not get the wheels off, so after they stripped everything but the wheels, they sold it to me.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

Use two different kinds of terminals on your electronic module so you cant hook them up backwards on the coil. A spade on the #15 side of the coil and a eye on the other side or at least tape the wires with the colors that VW uses.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Use two different kinds of terminals on your electronic module so you cant hook them up backwards on the coil. A space on the #15 side of the coil and a eye on the other side or at least tape the wires with the colors that VW uses.

Good one. Thanks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wire connector for the coil Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Sometimes you are a big help.... sometimes not. Do you really think I would not do that? How 'bout you send me an old coil with them on it.

This bus has not been registered since the early 90's. It has been in a field being picked over... then it was a forced purchase when a PO bought another bus. Then he picked over it and sold it to a bunch of 15 YO kids that could not get the wheels off, so after they stripped everything but the wheels, they sold it to me.

I'd get a hold of Ken Madsen at TheBusco to see if he has an old coil that is no good he can take them off. Otherwise you may have to use a double and a single, put ring terminals on each wire and stack them, use Glenn's singles, or buy a used coil with one on it. You could also contact the OP on this thread and see if he wants to sell just the connectors - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742857&highlight=used+coils

SK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: