Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best jets for engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Best jets for engine Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I have a 1967cc engine with an 8:2:1 compression ratio with 63cc combustion chambers. I just bought a pair of 36 dellortos for it. Any recommendations for jetting? My mains are 80s. Any input is appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best jets for engine Reply with quote

I have always wanted to build one, I have been calling them 1968cc. It's a 74mm Stroke X 92 Bore Right? Yes that is a fair amount of displacement for the Dellorto 36's I take it we are talking dual carbs. What 80 doesn't sound like anything right maybe it's 1.80 for the air correction that would be normal.
They are usually and it will depend on the Venturi Size around 1.22 to 1.40 mm a 1967cc 68 probably needs maybe 32mm venturi's maybe even 34's. The Air correction jets will normally start with 1.80mm air jets. People do all kinds of things though to get the air fuel mix right for a given engine.
Start by identifying all your jets sizes and the sizes you have available and take a look at what size of Venturi's it has. Dellorto 36's came with 30mm venturi's. Is it a Bug or a Bus engine?
For Example this looks like a 1.25mm Main Jet:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best jets for engine Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply Sir. This is a thick wall 92. 74mm crank. Full flowed. The engine is going in my lifted 73 thing and at times my 58 double cab. I will take one carb apart tomorrow night and start writing down all my numbers. Where is a good source for a quality rebuild kit for these? Yes, they are duals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best jets for engine Reply with quote

120 mains and 58 idles. Couldn’t resist taking it apart partially. Beautiful inside!
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best jets for engine Reply with quote

I carry all size rebuild kits in stock (italian) for the Dell's and most every part that you might need for your carbs, your idle Jet size will most likely range between 55/60. Your air sould be 180, 9164.2 emulsion tubes, mains will depend on what size your venturies are, your carbs came factory with 30mm vents and 122 mains.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best jets for engine Reply with quote

I have found hard to find Dell parts on e-bay a Italy seller named alfa1750 has them may be the same guy as above. Also EuroCarb has them and here in the US I think ACN and CB Performance still have most of the Jets.
Yeah, in the Thing you could probably go with 34's especially if it's got a fair amount of cam and or Big Valve heads. But Low Rpm Torque will be better with the 32's. I am running 30's in my 74mm X 88mm Bus Type 1 Engine with Dell 36's. I probably would be better off with 28's but it's nice on the highway with the 30's.

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best jets for engine Reply with quote

32mm venturies are sufficient for 120 hp.
With that low CR I doubt the OP is in the neighbourhood of that.
Also, keeping them 32 will also make the jetting much more predictable.
0,58 idle sounds about right. Now we need to know actual venturi size. float height, cam, valve size and exhaust. Then we can get really close even on bench tuning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: