Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
SHE'S ALIVE!!! And no exhaust leak when revving it. Very Happy

Link

Cheers...here's to a nice little whine. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Indeed, sounds very clean!

I love the sound of the charger!!! This is sooo good!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Due to the California central valley heat (and smoke), unfortunately the Ghia is grounded. Have some side projects to do while I wait for cooler weather. In the midst of building my own hardline straightener. The fuel line I bought is one big coil, need to straighten it out so I can run it through the car for EFI. Using this video as reference...

Link

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Been watching Hot VWs for almost a year now... The Aufgeladen Ghia made it into the magazine!! It was last year's Feed the Bug 10 event in Madera, CA. Was parked right next to a beautiful 1957 Ragtop Oval, which won Best of Show. My Ghia won Best in Class. It was a fun show, unfortunately this year has been cancelled of course.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Thanks guys! Due to the California central valley heat (and smoke), unfortunately the Ghia is grounded. Have some side projects to do while I wait for cooler weather. In the midst of building my own hardline straightener. The fuel line I bought is one big coil, need to straighten it out so I can run it through the car for EFI. Using this video as reference...

Link

I built a 5 wheel tubing straightener and it works great, yours should be even faster. Price of tube goes way down buying coils Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Umm... hard line is not that difficult to straighten or bend by hand. If you just want it straight, put the end on the floor, set a weight on it & unroll the coil.

Besides, not only is the path through the tunnel not straight, once installed, the line will never be seen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Umm... hard line is not that difficult to straighten or bend by hand. If you just want it straight, put the end on the floor, set a weight on it & unroll the coil.

Besides, not only is the path through the tunnel not straight, once installed, the line will never be seen.

Umm... Wrong, Boomer.

The cool Street racer kids will tell you that the hardline must be ABSOLUTELY straight so that flow is not restricted. You old guys don't know crap. Next thing you'll tell us is that VW sheetmetal repairs can be made with oil barrel metal... Wink

bnc
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Finished my hardline straightener attachment for my vice. It works great! Now to get started on my fuel lines.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Well, with the layer of smoke over the California Central Valley... The temperature was cool enough to take the Ghia out for a spin yesterday. WOOWEE!!! Does this little 1500 get up and go! I have never driven a classic VW with more than 40hp... This feels closer to 80. So fun to drive. Had an issue where the idler pulley came loose but was riding on the alternator pulley. Had enough tension to get me home. Talked to Mick at Joeblow, he said to torque it to 50ft/lbs. Was only hand tightened as much as I could. I may be adjusting the suspension, needs more stability than the air ride can give. Might have to remove air ride all together. Wink With Accuair going out of business, this setup could raise a pretty penny. Will try to post a video on the Ghia cruising around town.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Got some odds and ends done. Straightened the fuel lines. Need to get the Ghia on some jack stands so get get to work running them... Just having to much fun driving her. Very Happy

Link

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Bought the DCOE 40 style ITB... Will bolt right on to the manifold, stacks and air cleaner will bolt on too.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

i wonder if the manifold could be flipped so the fuel rail is on the bottom. not sure if that would affect fuel flow. it would probably allow the deck lid to close with out the need for spacers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
i wonder if the manifold could be flipped so the fuel rail is on the bottom. not sure if that would affect fuel flow. it would probably allow the deck lid to close with out the need for spacers.

The fuel rail doesn't care if it's located top or bottom...

bnc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Realistically, a modern throttle body from a civic or Jetta bolted directly to the blower eliminate clearance issues. Injectors could be added to the manifold, just above the cylinder head. This would also eliminate fuel separation and pooling.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Realistically, a modern throttle body from a civic or Jetta bolted directly to the blower eliminate clearance issues. Injectors could be added to the manifold, just above the cylinder head. This would also eliminate fuel separation and pooling.

I plan on using what I have for now, and having fuel cooling the supercharger is a plus. Its been running GREAT as is... Why not simply replace a good working carburetor with an ITB? And with all the added sensors and ability to self tune... Why not?? If I find that this setup is not working as I would like, I will then go a different route.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Found a picture in the gallery of how I plan to route the fuel lines. This member is using 3/8" feed, with a 1/4" return... (BTW, the jack stand/dolly combo looks dangerous, I don't recommend that at all)

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Wasted 3hrs of my life making an adapter for my CB Performance TPS sensor, just to find out it wasn't a CCW operating switch. Ugh... Not to self, check functionality of switches before making custom adapters.

The shaft is an 8mm "D" shape, which is different than the Weber DCOE shaft. Probably need to go to the local FLAP store and test what they have in stock.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Did a bunch of research, and found a YouTube video of a BMW TPS replacement... Looks as though a BMW E36M43 TPS will work. Ordered. This one has the "D" shape so hopefully its a sure fit.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Got the TPS issue sorted. Bought a BMW sensor. Just needed a bracket to work properly.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Running my fuel lines today. I chose to go underneath the passenger side. I ran air ride sensor wires on the driver's side.

I drilled through the brake line bracket running both feed and return lines.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 46

Jump to: