Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I appreciate it Steve. You are right in that this will probably be the best solution. I have most of the parts at this point and my dad put in an order for the aluminum.

I asked Ron this - but wanted to gather some opinions. I'm not sure where exactly to ask this.

But on this box design, is a vent really needed? I was planning on copying Ron's setup - which if I understand correctly his is vented through the fill neck. I had planned on doing this but was thinking about a rollover valve. Even with a rollover valve, the tank could potentially let gas back through the fill neck. The fill neck will be capped - so perhaps a roll over valve is not needed. I also doubt that cap is fully sealed - and would leak in the case of a rollover.

Thoughts?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--vented-diesel-fill--6586150?recordNum=14
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Quick question based on the last few posts and some unexpected pressure on a porta-potti that we experienced this summer due to elevation gain. Long story, but...

On the diesel heater plastic fuel tanks, do they need to be vented to compensate for temp/elevation pressure changes, or is this a non-issue? I'd hate to have diesel spewing and making a mess coming from sea level to the eastern Sierra at 9,000 feet.

Maybe fill the tank at elevation? Or burp it periodically as you ascend/descend? Any thoughts or real Vanagon world experience?

Cheers,

Adam
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

tikiman71 wrote:
Quick question based on the last few posts and some unexpected pressure on a porta-potti that we experienced this summer due to elevation gain. Long story, but...

On the diesel heater plastic fuel tanks, do they need to be vented to compensate for temp/elevation pressure changes, or is this a non-issue? I'd hate to have diesel spewing and making a mess coming from sea level to the eastern Sierra at 9,000 feet.

Maybe fill the tank at elevation? Or burp it periodically as you ascend/descend? Any thoughts or real Vanagon world experience?

Cheers,

Adam

Enjoy the laws of physics, fill it full and experience very little expansion or contraction of your liquid due to pressure changes. Beyond that, it probably depends on your specific setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I think all of these tanks have a little pinhole vent in the cap that should keep pressure build up to a minimum

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Diesel expands slightly when it heats up, not from ambient air pressure change. Usually when you go uphill, the temperature drops. In any case diesel is not going to ‘spew’. If it is full right up to the top it may dribble a few drops. Just leave a little space on top.
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Yes, I was more worried about the air in the tank expanding and contracting, and having an affect on the diesel level. Good point on leaving it full with little air. And the pics of the diesel tank caps do reveal a pinhole vent upon closer inspection, and should equalize pressure without spewage.

I'm not sure I'd want to keep my porta-potti waste tank full however. The air in the sealed waste tank built some significant pressure upon gaining elevation and temperature. Upon flushing, my wife and van received somewhat of a...golden shower. I promised her I'd never tell. Shhhhhhh.

Thank you for the diesel tank feedback. Back to the topic on hand...
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

What a scenario! Methane aka sewage gas does expand significantly with heat, so make sure that thing is vented.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

It has to vent, otherwise there'd be fuel starvation when in use!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

It's time for me to buy one of these Chinese Diesel Heaters. But, the companies that purport to sell these, ahem, "discounted" heaters seem to change on a weekly basis.

I want to buy one of these heaters, but I have no idea which of the many "brands" is the best, or at least is not fraught with problems. On Amazon, the 5-star ratings all seem to apply to a heater only 4 or 5 alleged buyers have purchased.

So . . . can anyone advise which recently purchased Chinese diesel heater unit they are happy with, its model number and the seller?

Many thanks in advance.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
It's time for me to buy one of these Chinese Diesel Heaters. But, the companies that purport to sell these, ahem, "discounted" heaters seem to change on a weekly basis.

I want to buy one of these heaters, but I have no idea which of the many "brands" is the best, or at least is not fraught with problems. On Amazon, the 5-star ratings all seem to apply to a heater only 4 or 5 alleged buyers have purchased.

So . . . can anyone advise which recently purchased Chinese diesel heater unit they are happy with, its model number and the seller?

Many thanks in advance.

I did not buy one recently, so can't help there, but please ensure the one you buy is compatible with the Afterburner controller, which is almost an essential add-on for Vanagon owners.

You can investigate compatibility issues on the Afterburner Facebook group which is a tightly moderated and sensible group.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:

Many thanks in advance.

This is the one I bought, Happybuy 3KW. It works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Parking-Mufflers-T...mcd_asin_0

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Howesight wrote:

Many thanks in advance.

That's a 5kW body - don't you find it provides too much heat?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

too much heat... camp where it's colder sucker..
we're hitting the frosty nights here in the North east now..

they are thermostatically controlled.. and it's not too hard to have the key fob hang near you when sleeping.. too hot wakes you up.. click it off. probably have to goto the bathroom about then anyways... well us older folk do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Howesight wrote:

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks, Joetiger. That is the kind of info I was looking for.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
joetiger wrote:
Howesight wrote:

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks, Joetiger. That is the kind of info I was looking for.

Glad to help. I figured if it gave me trouble, I wasn't out too much cash. I didn't have to tinker with it at all but I did have to prime the fuel line to get it to fire initially.

I prefer to run Klean-heat kerosene alternative in it. It doesn't taste good (primed the fuel line Smile) but it works well.

The heater kept the van at 58 degrees during an unexpected overnight on an 11 degree night last winter and it was great for work-from-van on cold days last February and March. It fired up every morning.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Air-Diesel-Heater-2KW...4039515233

I'd say this is a safe bet. 2k plus the rotary dial controller (I'm pretty sure this one is afterburner compatible). US seller
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

that 2kw is the smaller chassis.

and has the proper snap triangular plug for the thermostat controller.
you can switch between the dial and the digital+remote controller

beaware there are new ones out this year that have a threaded round plug for the controllers I do not know if those are/will be compatible with the afterburner
it looks like they're mostly the 4kw units.

we're running a 5-8kw unit with dial knob in 2 of our VWs and I just picked up a all-in-one unit to use as a outside tent heater.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenlakesgary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

" I just picked up a all-in-one unit to use as a outside tent heater."
Dan,
I would be curious to see some pictures of this set up when you complete it!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

gary, if your Cicero location is in NY. I'm right here in town.
I'll have pics. but have to have some with the VW in them to upload..
haven't fired it up yet, making a few weather tight updates to the box.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
beaware there are new ones out this year that have a threaded round plug for the controllers

The heater having a triangular plug for the controller is no guarantee that Afterburner will work; there have been units showing up the last few months with the triangular plug and incompatible boards/controllers. Some of them even have controllers that look very much like the "standard" compatible LCD. It's frustrating.

Be great if Ray Jones would come out with a replacement CDH mobo which would solve the problem once and for all but he's buried just with Afterburner building and sales.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 64

Jump to: