Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few things that don't look right
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

Good morning, vanagon peeps.

I receny bought a 1980 Air-cooled vanagon. I bought it not running but it great shape overall. After changing the plugs and replacing a few things, she runs okay more or less. I've just run idle in the garage and around the neighborhood a few times. At idle she runs fine but backfires every so often..

Here on the forum I've seent that it could be a vacuum leak or a myriad of other things.

While looking around I've noticed some things that don't look right.

1. A hole forward of the distributor cap. I can feel air coming out so maybe that could be an issue.

2. Colored wires that look like telephone wire coming from ignition coil. This may not be related but it may need to be corrected.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

Welcome , this is going to be the first of many question you will have,before you problem solve yourself. That being said, lets move on , first and for most, FUEL lines,vaccum hoses and the likes, looks like , someone used decent clamps, try to reuse them, as for the hole in the tin shield? haven't owned airc in a long while, maybe someone can chime in.
The low volt wires? aftermarket something or other is my bet.

After a good cleaning /replacement of ,said hoses, then fiqure your tune up idle issues, it's kind of cart before horse mentality , good luck ,it's a big adventure (one,off the road) when you own a westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

That hole should be plugged. It is currently leaking out your coolant (air). There should also be a grommet around the larger oil pressure switch hole to the right. The telephone wire is not stock. Trace it to find out what it is.
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

?waldo?

Thanks for the reply.
Any chance you have a pictures of that grommett plug?
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

I just picked up an '81 air cooled, tried to take grommet pics for you and discovered I am missing the same ones you are! Smile Any chance you have an aftermarket tach installed in your van, and the mystery coil wires are for the tach signal?

And gotta second the motion to replace fuel lines instantly and run a Blazecut if you can - I have this new van because my last one went up in flames, these vans burn like Dresden when they get going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

I like that two strands of the phone wire were used. Wouldn't want to skimp and half ass it with just one!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

It appears you do not have the California version fuel injection so looking at Bentley wiring diagrams with that in mind....

The Federal fuel injection shows only one wire from coil 1 (goes to ECU). So, that bundled red wire to coil 1 connection may also not be stock. I'd be curious of that wire, trace it.

And I agree. That new telephone wire at coil 1 connection is likely for a tach or future tach install. Can't imagine what else would need a 1 connection.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
I like that two strands of the phone wire were used. Wouldn't want to skimp and half ass it with just one!

Agreed. i'm guessing you're being a bit facetious regarding the wire, but the PO: needed an insulated conductor; had a spool of phone wire (if he's like my dad, that spool of phone wire was rescued from a tear-down); used the phone wire to meet the needs of the project and doubled up on the conductors to increase capacity, e.g. two 24 awg wires carry the load of a 21 awg wire, two 22 awg wires = about a 17 awg wire.It may not look right but it works.

OP, does your van have an aftermarket tach? My guess is that's what those wires lead to.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

My van does have an aftermarket tach, so that must be the answer to why the telephone wire was used. One of the previous owners was an "industrious" person who didn't half ass anything.

If anyone has pics, a link, or options about the grommet around the oil pressure switch and the plug for that other hole, I'd appreciate it. I've searched gowesty, parts place, vanagain, and haven't found anything yet.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the previous owners was an "industrious" person who didn't half ass anything.

Very Happy just full assed it!

Automotive grade phone wire Shocked Razz

Anyway, I'll bow out ha

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

coopertj1 wrote:
My van does have an aftermarket tach, so that must be the answer to why the telephone wire was used. One of the previous owners was an "industrious" person who didn't half ass anything.

If anyone has pics, a link, or options about the grommet around the oil pressure switch and the plug for that other hole, I'd appreciate it. I've searched gowesty, parts place, vanagain, and haven't found anything yet.

I find google images helpful for this kind of thing. A tape measure and some searching might get you want you need. Be mindful of temp ratings of grommet you choose.

The gallery here, especially in the Bay Window section, might show what the OE parts look like.

That solid copper wire may break off in time. Stranded copper wire is better for environments where vibration occurs.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

I'll just post this link for someone else who may have the same problem in the future...@leecat

Quote:

I just picked up an '81 air cooled, tried to take grommet pics for you and discovered I am missing the same ones you are! Smile Any chance you have an aftermarket tach installed in your van, and the mystery coil wires are for the tach signal?

This looks like it will do the trick.

https://www.busdepot.com/021119957
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

Quote:
Automotive grade phone wire Shocked Razz

Quote:
That solid copper wire may break off in time. Stranded copper wire is better for environments where vibration occurs.

100% true, it's not correct for the application and it's time to correct it but I appreciated the PO's gumption.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

But to get back to the original question about backfiring, neither the wire nor the hole would cause this.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

Does the tach work correctly?

To confirm, is there a red wire connecting to coil? If so, what does it connect to?

Looking at online tach wiring diagrams, it's possible the PO mistakenly connected the tach positive wire to coil 1 and not coil 15 (where OE black wires connect)

The distributor looks like the original points type but does this van have aftermarket electronic ignition?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

I'm 90% sure the small hole had a plastic part that snapped into the shroud and had slots to secure the spark plug wires. Not exactly necessary at this point, but a rubber plug would be a nice fix.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

You should post a pic of the entire engine bay so we can see what other seals might be missing. It's super important to have a tightly sealed engine bay in order for these engines to provide long service life. You also should see if the thermostat is functioning and the cable is intact.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Does the tach work correctly?

To confirm, is there a red wire connecting to coil? If so, what does it connect to?

Looking at online tach wiring diagrams, it's possible the PO mistakenly connected the tach positive wire to coil 1 and not coil 15 (where OE black wires connect)

The distributor looks like the original points type but does this van have aftermarket electronic ignition?

Neil.

The tach does work. When i first got it cranked, the van idled up and down, and i watched the tach do the same.

I do not know about an electric ignition. It doesn't seem to have any mods in that area. I'll post more pictures and make a video today.
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I'm 90% sure the small hole had a plastic part that snapped into the shroud and had slots to secure the spark plug wires. Not exactly necessary at this point, but a rubber plug would be a nice fix.

I found a rubber plug at Lowe's yesterday that did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.
coopertj1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: A few things that don't look right Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You should post a pic of the entire engine bay so we can see what other seals might be missing. It's super important to have a tightly sealed engine bay in order for these engines to provide long service life. You also should see if the thermostat is functioning and the cable is intact.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: