Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Karmann Ghia fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Got a package from Australia today— Sunday!

Yessir, that’s gonna work just fine for me!
Thanks Kev and Jerry for the care you take!

Looks like a nice dash pad. Can I ask where you got it and how much it cost and what it cost to ship from Australia? Is it used, or new repro., or NOS? I searched through the thread trying to find more information about it, but failed. I have been putting up with an old shrunken urethane dash pad for a long time in my '64.

Yes, it’s very nice! It’s a reproduction— I suggest you contact the seller for more detail:

Jerry Heldt
The Karmann Ghia Company of Australia/ VW Motors
U3.7 Coolibah Way, Bibra lake,Western Australia 6163
Australia
Phone 61 8 94188895
Mobile 0438145674
e-mail: [email protected]
Website. www.karmannghia.com.au
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Xmas continues! I am jealous of my life.

Distributor and choke cable being delivered.

Is the hole with the reinforcement where the cable escapes the trunk?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gotta remember to put out milk and cookies!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Early grab handles were painted body color, with the handle part upholstered in the same vinyl as the seats.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Early grab handles were painted body color, with the handle part upholstered in the same vinyl as the seats.

Getting different well-informed opinions on this Brau. What else is new? Seems that black-on-black goes with dash pad.

Yeah, I know, don’t trust artwork... that is not where the opinion is coming from, just a piece of supporting evidence.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

If I recall correctly the choke exits the trunk through the lower dash, back into the passenger compartment, then exits the bulkhead below the trunk back into the pan head area. With your bulkhead mat removed you should see the hole somewhere right above the high beam switch.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Trylon wrote:

If I recall correctly the choke exits the trunk through the lower dash, back into the passenger compartment, then exits the bulkhead below the trunk back into the pan head area. With your bulkhead mat removed you should see the hole somewhere right above the high beam switch.

Thanks Pete!

So, removed black tape to find these holes.
Looks like the upper and lower would take the choke cable back into the cab and out below the trunk.

I imagine the middle hole is for the high beam footswitch wires.

To complete our holey conversation, what is the hole to the left of the steering column for? And, yes, I need to get a grommet for the ground wire on the right.

Finally, the larger hole and it’s smaller tap screw cousins are going to get filled in — they were added for the under dash light that will be no more.

What about the two small holes along the seam— fill or leave?

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

"It seems that it is possible that removal of the wrap would damage the roof paint and, given that it is unlikely that we would ever match the red, we would have to paint it black. So, I think its probably best to either paint it or leave it."

Don't you guys have a paint shop that could match the color and put it into Rattle Cans (spray cans) so you could touch up the under dash metal etc. I get this done all the time down-under.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
Trylon wrote:

"It seems that it is possible that removal of the wrap would damage the roof paint and, given that it is unlikely that we would ever match the red, we would have to paint it black. So, I think its probably best to either paint it or leave it."

Don't you guys have a paint shop that could match the color and put it into Rattle Cans (spray cans) so you could touch up the under dash metal etc. I get this done all the time down-under.

Yes, but they seem to like paint codes. It seems color matching is a dying art.
And who knows what paint is currently on it.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

As expected, Glenn’s distributor and Lisa’s choke cable came today.
And they seem better than I could ever imagine! How is it that I fell onto a car that seems to have the best support community?!

So what car did I not want to buy— i.e. which would have left me entirely on my own, learning how to forge metal and make my own devices?

Speaking of being left to my own devices.
So far my benign poking around in the wiring has given me a shaky fuel gauge, a horn that works when I ground the car, and non-working warning lights.

And that’s just from pulling one ground wire and a bunch of orphans. Sheez!

So, I have decided to pursue an advanced degree — in the wiring of our car! My first task is to map out what the heck is going on. Prepared a template to do just that:

If I can debug students computer architecture attempts, I can unravel this mess.

I hope.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Don't be too diligent with having "all" of those underdash holes welded up- you still need to find a location for your 4-way flasher, since the wiper and headlight switches are supposed to be to the right of the clock. You could use one of those larger holes for the flasher knob. Having it point down puts it out of direct view as a "modernity".

You could also make a small bracket for the knob/switch that fastens to the right bolt of the steering column clamp. That also puts it out of direct view of the dash face, but still readily accessible.

Say- you don't have the fresh air control tabs to the left of the steering column?! Did that mechanism with the two tabs, and the two rotating flaps for the fresh air outlets even come with the car?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Don't be too diligent with having "all" of those underdash holes welded up- you still need to find a location for your 4-way flasher, since the wiper and headlight switches are supposed to be to the right of the clock. You could use one of those larger holes for the flasher knob. Having it point down puts it out of direct view as a "modernity".

You could also make a small bracket for the knob/switch that fastens to the right bolt of the steering column clamp. That also puts it out of direct view of the dash face, but still readily accessible.

Say- you don't have the fresh air control tabs to the left of the steering column?! Did that mechanism with the two tabs, and the two rotating flaps for the fresh air outlets even come with the car?

Trying to bring the cab into the mid-20th century here— ignition, choke, wipers, headlights. To paraphrase The Treasure of the Sierra Madre:
“Flashers? Flashers?! We don’t need no stinkin’ flashers!”

Some part of the vent system came with, and others not. Was hoping to find tabs without blue dots. I’ll get to it all, Rome! When are you coming over to help?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

It looks like you at least still have the air tubes that bring heat up to the defrost vents. Does the car still have the fresh air mixers?
Our PO removed both the tubes and the fresh air mixers on my car. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

My bad on the handle, I was thinking early non covered dash cars.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
It looks like you at least still have the air tubes that bring heat up to the defrost vents. Does the car still have the fresh air mixers?
Our PO removed both the tubes and the fresh air mixers on my car. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

One tube, actually hooked up to the vent cable. Not sure what is happening when I move it though. Missing other tube, got a replacement but damned if I know how I am going to get it in there. There’s a cable for it as well but I don’t think it moves.

Fresh air? Fresh air?!... open a window.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
My bad on the handle, I was thinking early non covered dash cars.

Yes, Kev had fashioned the beige vinyl piece for us. He said he would send off a black one as a gift.

I’m telling you, this community!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

One tube, actually hooked up to the vent cable. Not sure what is happening when I move it though. Missing other tube, got a replacement but damned if I know how I am going to get it in there. There’s a cable for it as well but I don’t think it moves.

Fresh air? Fresh air?!... open a window.

Laughing Laughing Well, I know, it's not about the fresh air, I just want everything there as it was when it left Karmann. Yellow Ghia Smile

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Hello Trylon.
Here are some pics of what your grab handle should look like. This comes from a 1959.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
Hello Trylon.
Here are some pics of what your grab handle should look like. This comes from a 1959.

Nice! Thanks for the pictures!
Got the handle. Looks like I paint the thing all black. Kev is supplying a black vinyl wrap for the middle section.
First time I’ve seen that piece on the inside though. Not sure how to make that happen. I think the handle I got may be constructed differently...
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Not factory but decided to polish the grab handle before wrapping in materials. Gives you another option.....

Lousy pic

PS Your efforts look terrific Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Not factory but decided to polish the grab handle before wrapping in materials. Gives you another option.....

Lousy pic

PS Your efforts look terrific Cool

WOW! The things I might do if my heart wasn’t set on stock!
Thanks King.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Page 187 of 358

Jump to: