Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 PCV Valve Failure
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Explain a little better about what is going on. What pressure plate are we speaking of please?

I am not sure what this part is called but it adjusts how far back the throttle can stop

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood wrote:

NOW…lock the TVS plate…and rotate the throttle plate full open and then back to closed position.

This is what the factory manual forgets to do: Now…while holding the throttle plate closed…re-test with the VOM and recheck the position of the wiper arm contact and forked switch.

I misunderstood this part of the testing process to mean that after opening and reclosing the throttle it should fall back to having full continuity and should be where I set it. What happens instead is that I set the TVS with the "on" pole and just at the edge of the #20 contact strip so I believe this is correct although it hasn't really made much change to the way the car drives.

I did read on another TVS thread about deoxIT cleaner and that seems to have done a more thorough job of cleaning so I may order that and try again.

On the plugs, the longer plugs were in there for the first year and a half and the car ran great. I don't believe they are causing any issue, I checked compression a few months ago and each cylinder was 110psi.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

Lets see if I can clarify this a bit. Actually its really clear in the thread I have...but its a lot of reading so people can get confused.

1. When the switch is properly adjusted......and the throttle is fully closed.....the little contact button on the wiper arm should be maybe a few thousandths of an inch from making contact with the first enrichment contact strip on the circuit board.
You want it to be very close.....because as you start opening the throttle you want as little delay as possible before the wiper arm contacts one of the strips.....so there is no delay between you adding air to the engine...and the ECU adding fuel to go with it.

2. Along with the above condition.....the forked contact switch should be in contact with the rearward pole....the "OFF" pole....of the switch.

SO TO SUM UP:.....when you are at idle with the the throttle fully closed.....you want the circuit board position adjusted so that the contact on the wiper arm is poised within a few thousandths of an inch of making contact with the enrichment strip.....AND....you want the forked inertia switch...in the OFF position.

3. When its ideally adjusted.......the wiper arm contact should make contact with the first mark on the enrichment strip.....SIMULTANEOUSLY ....as the forked switch makes contact with the forward "ON" pole. In reality...having the wiper arm making contact maybe 1/3 to 1/2 degree of rotation before the forked switch makes contact with the "ON" pole....is more reliable.

4. The object of opening and closing the throttle to see where the adjustment REALLY naturally falls.....is to get the built in slack on the shaft and forked contact...to interact with the standard spring pressure of the throttle plate return spring.

While some slack is built into the plastic D-shaped part that attaches to the throttle shaft....some is not....and teh factory slack through the years varies little....which is why you need to readjust the TVS to correctly set it up....and why just using a general factory adjustment and locking the pate down does not work all the time.

5. The only way the TVS makes significant difference in driving....is when its either not working at all...or is seriously out of adjustment. It is a significant part of off the line fuel enrichment.

BUT...through the eons...I have seen more than a few cars with a non-functioning TVS....whose system had been tweaked enough to run....evenly....but with really poor power. So the owner would tweak with the non-functioning switch (usually a wire was broken)....and think that since no matter what they did it made no difference.....that the witch does very little when it is functioning.

No...trust me.....if you unplug the TVS...it will run REALLY ugly.

6. Lastly.....that throttle dashpot/stop.

Do you have an automatic transmission? If memory serves that piece of equipment is for the automatic. Type 4 cars with D-jet have an overly complex combined spring and vacuum unit that does the same thing.

Its function is NOT to be a throttle stop. It should NEVER prop teh throttle open at all. Not one bit.

Its function i to delay the throttle from snapping all the way closed instantly when you come off the gas with foot on the brake coming up to say a stop sign. As you are dropping speed....it takes a moment for rpm to drop far enough that the torque converter fully uncouples enough to unload the engine.

So....it DELAYS full throttle closure for a moment. It slows it down .

From my experience...its a good component...but with age s teh spring weakens.....its almost useless...so....it gets adjusted a little tighter to function properly again...but then props the throttle open and screws with the TVS adjustment. In order to make it work right you then need a stronger throttle return spring....which then screws with your pedal feel. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 PCV Valve Failure Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
Thanks for the quick clear feedback!

Just to be clear the PO swapped my injectors so they are no longer needles but have three holes. These have worked well for quite a while so I do not suspect them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I trust the pressure gauge is accurate. It is brand new and when I made changes it reacted as it should.

My MPS Part number has a Bosch number and a VW number:
311 906 051 E

Checking resistance at 2k I get the below readings if this should be a different multiplier I can give those as well:

Outside 93 ohms
Inside 343 ohms

My TVS actually has 5 wires running to it it is part number 311 906 111 E. I am not sure about the pressure switch or WOT so if you need more details about these please let me know and I can do a little research.

I am good with cutting the cover off just say the word Smile

I want to point out one thing . You see in this photo the oil bath has both of the ports plugged the ones with the red dot. Those are the ports that connect to both heads via a built in metal short tube . This is how the PCV works and since on this car has the long reach spark plugs it probably does not have there ports and it sure does not have the hoses. So of course the PCV is not working proper , it has no path. If one has the Haynes manual for type 3 it shows the path. The hoses on the oil bath allow clean air into the case. The PCV draws air through the case though the push rod tubes , that's simplified version. Point is the way this one is set up the PCV does nothing to vent the case . Rennlist explains how the PCV works and the Haynes show the routing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: