Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I can't drive 55
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

Open wide!

Seriously though, this setup is so trick. The load placement is ideal, the van rocks along the interstate at 70-75 mph without breaking a sweat, and I have really great ventilation at the same time. Laughing

I've logged around 5k miles with this setup and it puts a smile on my face everytime.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

That must make a lot of wind noise. But cool anyway. It looks like you fly as well. John
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

Yep. My Bose A20 ANR headsets make the drive quite pleasant, but with no ear protection it is loud at highway speeds as you noted.

I fly one of my airplanes with the door off as well so I'm not averse to it. Very Happy
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

Are you using the stock tang to hold the door open? In Florida headphones are illegal when operating a vehicle.

Your setup looks like an accident on the way to Happen.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Are you using the stock tang to hold the door open? In Florida headphones are illegal when operating a vehicle.

Your setup looks like an accident on the way to Happen.

Yes, but I shove some foam in the roller to keep the door from rattling.

Half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against. Wink
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

This cage tote almost fit. Leisurely drive home on back roads lacked drama.

The slider did not fully close and had to be bungeed and we seldom hit 55 on that drive.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

I don’t dare to where my noise canceling headset driving down the road. Although it was tempting when I drove my Miata home from Seattle to Massachusetts with my than ten year old. But that might have been his music? Mad
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

Haha! The music could have been a key factor there! Very Happy

After decades of wearing ANR headsets in airplanes, I can actually hear some ambient sounds better with them on in very noisy environments. Definitely the engine noise.

The latest generation of Airpods work pretty good too. Their transparency mode is great because it switches to ANR whenever a loud noise that could harm your ears is present, but otherwise actually amplify the ambient sound as if you had nothing in your ears at all.

Foam earplugs work great too. I've used various ear protection over the years since the van is so loud cruising at 4500-5000 rpm (even with all the cabin doors closed).
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

I have a 2020 Monkey and haul it in my van. I cobbled a ramp out of scrap wood and it hooks into the rock slider. I made it wide so I can get at least one foot on the ramp when rolling it in also the bike can roll in/out at slightly different angles.

I noticed that your bike is parked right up against the rear seat. I'm thinking you might get a few more inches (and close the slider) by finding the super basic rear seat. It comes in two parts, upper & lower and each section is mounted with only 2 bolts. If I need more floor space, I unbolt the bottom section and take it out. It only weighs about 25 pounds compared to the awkward z-bed which weighs a ton.

Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

campism wrote:
This cage tote almost fit. Leisurely drive home on back roads lacked drama.

The slider did not fully close and had to be bungeed and we seldom hit 55 on that drive.

Wow! That's using every square inch of room in there. Impressive!!!
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
I have a 2020 Monkey and haul it in my van. I cobbled a ramp out of scrap wood and it hooks into the rock slider. I made it wide so I can get at least one foot on the ramp when rolling it in also the bike can roll in/out at slightly different angles.

I noticed that your bike is parked right up against the rear seat. I'm thinking you might get a few more inches (and close the slider) by finding the super basic rear seat. It comes in two parts, upper & lower and each section is mounted with only 2 bolts. If I need more floor space, I unbolt the bottom section and take it out. It only weighs about 25 pounds compared to the awkward z-bed which weighs a ton.

Very nice! I might try that someday. Your van looks very cavernous with that bench removed. Very useful I'm sure.

BTW, I love the new Monkey. I want one badly!

My Aprilia RS250's fit all the way inside with the sliding door closed. It's very cozy. I'll keep my eye out for one of those benches. Thanks!
Jennybenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

Build a block to hold the front fork sans wheel - two pinch bolts and a big bolt- they are easy to remove. And your zrx isn’t that heavy.

Has to be easier than rolling with the door open.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

Jennybenny wrote:
Build a block to hold the front fork sans wheel - two pinch bolts and a big bolt- they are easy to remove. And your zrx isn’t that heavy.

Has to be easier than rolling with the door open.

That's definitely doable and not a bad idea. Could be really stable and add a lot of security too.

This ZRX was 561 lbs when I bought it, it's lost 110 lbs since then so it's even lighter. That's including gas so there's another 30 lbs or so. Empty tank it's probably around 420 lbs now. Titanium is wonderful stuff.

Last edited by Aryana on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

It's been nearly 25 years, but I seem to recall that I transported my R80/7 and Puch 250 in our old '88 GL, but I think I had to remove the front wheel on the BMW. The EV is a much easier bike hauler since you can remove the rear seat entirely and have full cargo length for your two wheeled needs.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

I had a blue R80 and miss it a lot. Does the front engine layout of the EV create a bunch more usable space in the main cabin area for shenanigans like this?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I can't drive 55 Reply with quote

Since the entire rear area is flat and the back seat slides fore/aft/out, it creates a large platform for hauling stuff. The ability to slide stuff in from the rear hatch makes this especially useful.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: