Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Looks similar to where Oddjob took a sniper shot at James Bond in "Goldfinger"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That was going through my mind as well. Beautiful scene

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Excellent photo, Alex!
Stelvio! Very Happy I've been fortunate to drive it 3 times, though in a modern car. Did you drive conservatively up the pass, or give the suspension a good workout in your Beetle?

I drove up not speeding, but quick enough to give the new Konis a workout... with some stops due to the incredible scenery. Beetles just love narrow curves. I was lucky because there was only little traffic. Normally, stelvio is overcrowded with bikers, cyclists, buses and mobile homes these days.
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

IamZardoz wrote:

Showed up for my first informal Dallas Air Cooler meetup this morning. Not much of a turnout today but nice to meet Rob and George. Im sure we will get more later. Made it home with no issues but gosh that rear main is leaking pretty good now. Engine comes out next week! Rob belongs to the 54, mine is the 74 in the pics.

I see Sonja in the 2nd pick. I'll try to make it next month.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Alex - beautiful pictures. Every one of them.
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Smile Hi everyone. I had a lot of running around town to do today, picking up tools and supplies for my planned distributor replacement today. So after all that was done I took my ‘74 Super to Charlottetown ‘s Victoria Park. Here are a couple of pics, looking out over Charlottetown Harbour from Victoria Park.

Although you cannot see the opening of the harbour to the Northumberland Strait, but it is about 500 meters wide and about 60 meters deep. This opens into a large bay that can accommodate 3 very large cruise ships. During normal years ( no Covid19) we have about 40 to 50 large cruise ships visit our little city. Most cruises start at either New York City, or Boston and cruise north first to St John, New Brunswick, then on to Halifax, Nova Scotia ( Home of the famous “Bluenose” Racing schooner, then Charlottetown PEI ( Home of Canadian Confederation where the founding fathers of this country met to plan independence from Great Britain ).Obviously a very historic little city. Next the ships usually travel up the St. Lawrence River to Quebec City. After this the final stop is Montreal. Jay Leno says it’s the most beautiful city in North America! Normally the cruise people fly home from here, and a new cruise begins going the opposite way, but usually it makes the same stops.

That was my bug driving for today,
Darren.

Seize the day...not the Engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Letting the vinyl soak up some heat before heading out for a good Irish breakfast. Cold here this morning.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Fall day here mid 70s overcast but good day for a drive. I used the bug for some running around. A trip to feed store for 2 stroke oil for leaf blower, another stop for a flu shot and shingles vaccine, another stop at Costco
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Wifey and I went on a 150-mile round trip cruise the October VW Cruisers VDubs in the Vineyards show in Culpepper, VA. Passed this beauty on the way there...not a great shot but it was a nice one.

About 50 cars total, not a huge turn out but a nice showing. By far the nicest cars were some early 60's Bugs. Think there's room for any more bling on this fella?

Love this cool '70.

Kind of disappointing, to see so many folks not social distancing *or* wearing masks in the VW crowd, especially given the news of the latest crew of infected deniers. I had my VW-themed mask on. Not taking any chances of bringing anything home to my in-law in his 90s or my wife.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram - Thanks for the pictures. I enjoy the variety of Beetle styles from bling to knarly. Looks like it was a perfect day.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

A crisp fall morning here 42 degrees low humidity perfect in my opinion for a drive in the time machine and a cup of coffee. I launched off early without a destination in mind heading east towards Arkansas then south towards Muskogee.

Had to get gas and put ethanol in which I usually don’t do.

So here we are up on the turnpike and look at the speed limit, it’s real and you better bring your A game and not drive too slow being a damn hazard.

I turned over 99k and will zero out before the end of the year. Very Happy
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Nice quiet fall day at the beach

volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took the 68 for a spin

Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

volkz - For me, there's nothing like driving a Beetle to the beach or to the ocean. Love the pictures.

I'm stuck fixing an ignition problem. Everyone please keep the pictures coming. It helps my withdrawal pains haha.
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
volkz - For me, there's nothing like driving a Beetle to the beach or to the ocean. Love the pictures.

I'm stuck fixing an ignition problem. Everyone please keep the pictures coming. It helps my withdrawal pains haha.

Fun fact, I usually cruise down to the beach on the hunt for other aircooled vws out and about. can usually spot a van or 2.
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I went to get cat food.

And then went back because I forgot quart ziplock bags.

Because it's my daily.

Threads like this kind of make me sad. I hope that more people treat their bugs like the car it is and not like grandma's china. (lol, grandma is dead, we sold her china a while back)

What I am just now realizing is that, BOTH TIMES when I said, "I do"

I meant it more to this bug than to either of those girls (sorry, sort of).

But, this car, I rely on, and it relies on me. Neither of us work without the other.

I find it pretty funny that Hitler helped me understand what it is like to depend on someone (it doesn't have a name, but it's not a thing, either).

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Gundark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Got Lyvia, my '69 Bug out of the garage today and drove her to Costco for some food. Since covid, she doesn't get out much -- she needed to be out on the road. She needs a tune up, but she behaved very well today. Smile
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Yesterday the weather was nice. I set out with no other goal than having a nice drive in the bug. I dusted her off, added a few gallons of gas and hit the road.

Within a few miles, I saw an orange 914 coming the other direction. I put my arm out and waved, but he didn't wave back. Confused

Later I saw a red eighties 911 coming up from behind. When he passed he gave a toot of the horn. I was pleasantly surprised after being snubbed earlier!

This is a nice tree-lined road where I can cruise 35-40 with a few turns. It rarely has traffic. Usually more bicycles than cars.

Then I twisted up into the mountains on the famous Angeles Crest Highway. The traffic was uncharacteristically light. Usually it's pretty packed with super-bikes and boy racers weaving around the tourists, but I got totally lucky and was able to cruise and enjoy the turns.

This 50-year-old Beetle still handles like a German car, and totally put a smile on my face.

By the time I put the car away, I had racked up 51 miles.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove out to Arizona via route 380 and US 60 last week. Cool

Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Nice picture mukluk. Some of the color from the horizon is coming off the hood.
The straight vanishing lines on the road also work well.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Thank you, I like that picture as well. I do wish my windshield wouldn't have had so many bug splats on it though, leaving fuzzy spots.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 106, 107, 108  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 108

Jump to: