Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Just thought i'd post some pics of my 1961 Oldspeed inspired beetle Smile

It's a one previous lady owner car from Sweden, it was parked in 1976 after the second engine was damaged! It's nearly all original paint and the interior is all original. My wife and I purchased the car in march 2019 after a light re-commision and ran it stock until November when I went through the entire car over the winter and added the Old Speed influenced parts. (All original parts have been stored carefully so the car can be returned back stock easily.)

The front end has been mildly lowered with CSP adjusters, anti roll bar fitted, Porsche 356 replica wheels with 155/15 Vredestein sprint classic tyres all round, homemade 20mm 'Carrera' spacers on the rear, Koni Classic shocks all round and a camber compensator fitted.

The engine is a low hours 34/40hp 122 industrial unit to which i've installed a Theo Decker dual carb kit with Solex 34PCI carbs and a rebuilt Bosch 019 distributor. I rebuilt the fuel pump and rotated the top part slightly in order to run the fuel lines a bit neater. The carbs have really added some power to the engine Very Happy For those interested, i'm running a 23mm Venturi with 115 main jets and 190 Air jets.

The interior is mostly stock apart from the 1966 Smiths clocks, an overhead storage net and hidden USB charger points.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Nice car. Cool
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

tasty indeed!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

What a nice beetle Cool

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

It's all about the little details.

-1 for the distributor badge not facing the back. Please reindex the driveshaft.

+1 for the tire valve supports Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's all about the little details.

-1 for the distributor badge not facing the back. Please reindex the driveshaft.

+1 for the tire valve supports Wink

The distributor has been something myself and my friends have wondered about, I did think it was a bit different. I’m not aware how you reindex the driveshaft?

Cheers
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

The driveshaft has 11 teeth, so you have to remove the distributor and fuel pump. Then use a puller or something else to lift it up and rotate it CCW 3 teeth. Then reinstalled the pump and distributor and reset the ignition timing.

Here's what it looks like.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Heey.
The steering wheel is in the wrong side for you. That´s no good. Best sell it to me Rolling Eyes Wink
Looks like it has survived well.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

What a beautiful and clean car. I bet it is a lot of fun to drive.
vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Trying to figure out what is safety wired on the fuel pump. Is the head of the hose clamp drilled for it? Just can't quite tell in that pic.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

vwchad wrote:
Trying to figure out what is safety wired on the fuel pump. Is the head of the hose clamp drilled for it? Just can't quite tell in that pic.

It looks like the safety wire on the pump is used to hold the gas line in place so that it won't slide off with vibration of the engine and start a fire
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

What a cool car! I love old speed beetles

If you want to upgrade its performance on the future, a big bore kit, 1300 dual port heads, ratio rockers and a good exhaust are the way to go. With that setup should move pretty well.

Very good suspension setup, I have almost the same configuration and it is a blast to drive. A camber compensator will help handling even more. Do you have stock frony sway bar or the thick one?

You can do a lot of mods for increase its performance, but the best thing you can do with it is enjoy the ride Wink

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Thanks everyone Smile

I understand Glenn, that has gone on to my snagging list!

Yes the lock wire is just belt and braces for the fuel line, it just wraps around the inside of the hose clamp bolt. I also removed and glued the fuel line insert back in place on the fuel pump itself.

It's a blast to drive, I think it handles really well. Power wise, the carbs have made a noticeable improvement over the stock configuration, i've got a few idea's and plans for it in the future but the I won't be changing the heads, the carbs were hard enough to find in the first place Very Happy Very Happy
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

If I remember well, there is a kit from TDE which used 34 PCI carbs and dual port manifolds. Maybe you can find a set of those manifolds, but ain't gonna be easy

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
i've got a few idea's and plans for it in the future but the I won't be changing the heads, the carbs were hard enough to find in the first place Very Happy Very Happy

first off, beautiful car I'm jealous!!

I see no reason why you would need to abandon the single port heads. A big bore (and maybe even stroked) engine with a mild cam and hand-worked heads would be a huge improvement and still use those carbs/manifolds. I don't know any head porters on your side of the pond, but there a couple guys here stateside that can work wonders with otherwise 'stock' heads. The biggest gains are about 1/2" under the seat and the valve seat itself. Wink
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

I recently added a pair of original Swedish headlight grills, I had been running some repro mesh grills whilst I was looking for a pair of these. I also picked up a NOS 6V VDO 6k tachometer. I've got a few plans/thoughts for the engine which i'm working on and will keep me tinkering through the winter!

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

that tach is gorgeous Applause

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Beautiful car and very nicely executed Steve Smile
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

Thanks everyone Smile

This is my new exhaust set-up on the ‘61. I picked up an ‘old new’ Leistritz exhaust and a new set of Cartune taper tips. I trimmed down the taper tips and then painted everything with a VHT ceramic coating header paint. Taking inspiration from early Porsche race cars, I’m pretty happy with how it’s turned out.

SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Oldspeed inspired Beetle. Reply with quote

I've always liked the look of an early 'Big Nut' generator pulley nut, as the nut is part of a different pulley set up to mine I asked my friend to help make me one. i took some measurements and we worked out the sizing, my friend then handmade one on his lathe and mill. It is sized at 36mm also so original tools could be used.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: