Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection hose clamps
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

Those crimp clamps sure are nice... I used a bunch of those, too. Then regretted it in several places. In a jam, (roadside repair, etc.) you will have to have a nice pair of dikes to cut them if you need to change something like a fuel filter, or remove an injector.

Then, you will need to have another clamp to replace the one you just cut. Hopefully, when you cut it, you didn't nick the hose. The proper tool for those clamps is a nice investment, too.

They are tougher than you think, and you will need to be able to have the leverage and strength of your hand in an awkward position. If you choose to keep using them, at least make one half of the arrangement with a removable clamp.

You will not be able to tighten the crimped clamps as the hose ages and the connection gets loose the way you might need to with a screwed clamp.

And finally...

I am mystified why you cannot find the fuel injection hose clamps. When I got my Gates hose from O'Reilly's, I got a box of the nice FI clamps.

If you are concerned about the large serrated hose clamps cutting into hose, wrap a trimmed, short piece of aluminum sheet from a beer can around the hose under the serrated clamp. It is thin and soft enough not to impede the strength of the clamp, but also good enough to prevent the clamp from gouging the hose. You can tighten the shit out of it with a 1/4" drive socket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

Yeah. I could see a roadside repair being a pain. I'd definitely prefer to have the proper FI style clamps for this larger 20mm OD non-FI hose, but they don't carry it at any auto parts store I've been to. I've got a bag full of regular FI clamps for the 7mm FI hose. Those are easy to find.

These do come off if you wedge a screw driver under the clip, but would still be tricky to do on your back under the bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

Normally it takes a screwdriver to remove a screw on clamp. When you have a crimped clamp used the screwdriver sideways thru the crimped area and wiggle it side to side. The crimp will open up allowing one to remove the clamp. When done just re-crimp the connection. Most of these crimp style clamps will work multiple times.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

Thanks for posting a picture of scewdrivers, Steve! Laughing

I argue the prefered tool for hose clamps is either a nutdriver or 1/4 inch drive ratchet socket, but that really is not the point. If you are using screwdrivers on hoseclamps, get ready for it to slip out when you do the final torque. If the clamp is not designed for socket head tools, it is probably old. Enjoy using old hose clamps with worn threads! You might get lucky and it stays put.

Anyway, I see the clamps you are referrring to are not what I used; The clamps I use are solid piece, and thicker steel. They get crimped on either side having two ears and are custom for the hose size, not like those pictured where it has some adjustment. The clamp style in this last picture I have seen on CV joint boots, and other locations.

But I don't agree that even those in the above picture should be re-used... ever. That crush crimp is not designed for re-use. You could do it if you had to, but expect it to be not as strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Thanks for posting a picture of scewdrivers, Steve! Laughing

I argue the prefered tool for hose clamps is either a nutdriver or 1/4 inch drive ratchet socket, but that really is not the point.

Anyway, I see the clamps you are referrring to are not what I used; The clamps I use are solid piece, and thicker steel. They get crimped on either side having two ears and are custom for the hose size, not like those pictured where it has some adjustment. The clamp style in this last picture I have seen on CV joint boots, and other locations.

But I don't agree that even those in the above picture should be re-used... ever. That crush crimp is not designed for re-use. You could do it if you had to, but expect it to be not as strong.

been reusing that style for 40 years when new ones are not available. Never had one fail. Same for the heater bellows. one can slide them over a socket and open them back up. Don't like the American style hose clamps as the openings for the teeth cut into the hose if they are overtightened. Also use the spring steel ones when I can find ones that fit the hose.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

The 18-20mm fuel hose clamps seem to be widely available in Europe. In the UK they refer to them as "Petrol Pipe Clips". May order a few of these to have on hand for my next fuel filter change.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/18-20mm-Zinc-Plated-Mini-Clips/dp/B00X1FEKR0

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
The 18-20mm fuel hose clamps seem to be widely available in Europe. In the UK they refer to them as "Petrol Pipe Clips". May order a few of these to have on hand for my next fuel filter change.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/18-20mm-Zinc-Plated-Mini-Clips/dp/B00X1FEKR0

This work for you???

ABA clamps

http://www.normaamericasds.com/brand/aba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

Picked up some of those 18-20mm FI style clamps from the UK. They fit great and are nickel plated. I've got some extras if anyone wants a pair. I'll send them anywhere in the US if you pay postage. PM me if interested.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

I originally posted the quoted area today in type 3 thread on Oetiker clamps. Needs to be here too for FI buses.

SGKent wrote:
There are several threads here on the Oetiker clamps. I wanted to order some more this morning but my brain was farting understanding them. I answered my own questions before finishing this post, and thought I would share the conclusions in case someone else has the same brain fart.

A 5/16 ID Gates Barricade hose is 9/16 OD. That is an ID of 8mm+/- and an OD of 14.287 MM. The Oetiker clamps I have read 15.5 on them so I am guessing those are 15.5 mm. There is also a 14.5 listed. These are the stainless high pressure clamps that don't come apart. I was wondering why 15.5 is the better size than 14.5 then I realized the hose is larger by a small amount when it slides over the barb it is being fitted to. Also the 15.5 lists that it is for an uncrimped inner diameter of 14.4 mm, and that it crimps down to 12 mm. OETIKER # 15400036 Manufacturer's Published Crimping Range: 12.8mm to 14.8mm

https://www.belmetric.com/stainless-clamps-c-15_142_1238/chp155-high-pressure-p-972.html

ABA 13 and Oetiker 15.5. Both have rolled edges. If there are wires under the clamp that the screw might interfere with, like the 1-2 fuel injectors, use the Oetiker clamp to minimize the risk of a short.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

I used both on my build. I used removable ones that would allow for the whole assembly of something to be removed and oetiker on anything that wouldn’t need to be removed.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection hose clamps Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I used both on my build. I used removable ones that would allow for the whole assembly of something to be removed and oetiker on anything that wouldn’t need to be removed.

That is pretty much what I will do. Probably the injectors will get 8 Oetiker clamps while the hoses that connect to the fuel pump, rails, CSV, and the FPR will get the screw ones. I think I only have 12 of the Oetiker ones right now. The ones on the injectors right now are screw style and they rub on the new alternator harness. That has to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: