Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Have you driven it on some rugged, "off-road" surfaces? How does it go with its high ground clearance and the "crawler" RGB gearing?

Oh- I wrote that just before watching your video- good going with its field-crossing drive!

Mainly mud and hills On the property at the moment, The brakes were always a let down, but now is a better pedal and work better. Still considering to buy new wheel cylinders and be done with the original country buggy ones
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Couple of updated pics.. love havin it on property!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

This how crop circles are made. And quickly.

Awesome build.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
D-train wrote:
Couple of updated pics.. love havin it on property!

Link

This how crop circles are made. And quickly.

Awesome build.

The kids love doing them also! Haha
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

In The Rhubarb With Jennie

I love going off-road with these things

Don[/b]
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Nice day for it.

Link

Then I got bogged, got it out but can’t select any gears now after hammering it between 1st and reverse.. it’s stuck in a gear but nothing that will make it drive. So now it’s in the paddock with the cows. Dammit

rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

And twenty years from now some VW enthusiast will spot it, post a photo on Samba and say "field find. I wonder why it was left out there to rot?"
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
And twenty years from now some VW enthusiast will spot it, post a photo on Samba and say "field find. I wonder why it was left out there to rot?"

Haha. Probably will..
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Finally got dry enough and around to dragging it out. Watch the rear wheels locked, lucky I had help and sarcasm the whole morning otherwise it would of been a shit time. Macca suggested use steel as skid plates on the tar! Worked a great!!

Link

And motor out in 20 mins. Gearbox will be soon to pull the nose one off and check the selectors.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Sarcasm works every time.

Don
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Sarcasm works every time.

Don

When doesn’t it!??? Haha.

Got into the box removal today.

Such a pain In the ass with CB gear, but so far a good outcome.
The pic shows the 3 different levels they were sitting at, realigned them straight again, nose one on and made sure they selected gears again.

Then back in.

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

I’m impressed you were able to hammer on it hard enough to select reverse and third. Makes me wonder how the hockey stick was able to do that? For future reference, there are detention balls that prevent the 1-2 selector from engaging if reverse or the 3-4 selector is engaged, so if you get stuck in multiple gears I’m guessing 90% of the time it’s reverse and 3 or 4. 10% would be broken or loose shift forks. Actually locking the trans in reverse and 3 or 4 is what you have to do to tighten mainshaft and pinion nuts. Would be a good idea to double check these and also for side play in all the selector forks. If it happens again remember the 3-4 slider is somewhat accessible through the oil fill plug and you might be able to get it back to neutral position so that you could limp home in reverse?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
I’m impressed you were able to hammer on it hard enough to select reverse and third. Makes me wonder how the hockey stick was able to do that? For future reference, there are detention balls that prevent the 1-2 selector from engaging if reverse or the 3-4 selector is engaged, so if you get stuck in multiple gears I’m guessing 90% of the time it’s reverse and 3 or 4. 10% would be broken or loose shift forks. Actually locking the trans in reverse and 3 or 4 is what you have to do to tighten mainshaft and pinion nuts. Would be a good idea to double check these and also for side play in all the selector forks. If it happens again remember the 3-4 slider is somewhat accessible through the oil fill plug and you might be able to get it back to neutral position so that you could limp home in reverse?

I’ve had it happen before on another box so was pretty confident that this was the problem. I was hammering it between first and reverse trying to rock it out of the mud with a bit of traction so I was flogging the hell out of it. I’ve still got a check the clutch as well because it didn’t feel to crash hot. The Cb boxes are supposed to be a lsd also so I’ll hook it all back up an check they pop in an out of gear ok before installing the motor again. The point to this car was just make it run an keep running, it’s had some hiccups along the way but has basically not stopped with anything major since I built it which had been epic.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

After huffing and puffing for nearly 3 hours to get the motor back in, finally slipped in like it had never been out. Such a pain In the ass to get it back in tho for some reason.

And we had more rain, again. The paddocks were muddy and calling... so hoops were done as soon as it drove! Haha

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Here in Kanada we call that cutting donuts.

Don
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Here in Kanada we call that cutting donuts.

Don

Also called that here, but been aussie, slang comes into it so cuttin hoops is a common term.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Since day 1 of installing the country buggy gear, the brakes have been shit. -all re-sleeved, new lines, new shoes, cleaned and sorted.. front rhs has always grabbed with bad brake pedal pressure. Was taken back to the place that did it for a week, only to get “that’s the best we can get it” My reply was, “so if I brought this in for a registration check in an hour would it pass?” Only for them to say “no it wouldn’t.” Then I proceeded to say to them but you are happy for me to drive this away today. Then they tried to charge me another 800 for the work they didn’t do…

Yes it’s taken a while for me to get to it, but not only was the cylinder leaking, the shoes collapsed, the new bearings were also shot. So all new stuff was installed again.

It’s amazing what a difference it makes stopping in a straight line again. Ha ha
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Noticed a fair bit of throttle shaft play in the carb, so found a “good” housing for a donor. Rebuilt and installed.

Runs so much better again! And goes back to idle speed, isn’t variable depending on where it’s stuck anymore!

Link to a vid..

https://youtube.com/shorts/H9-3-OqQXzk?feature=share
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Wasn’t happy with how the rack looked on it, so had to modify to suit the style of the car.

Will hold a decent tyre size instead of in the front! Will still keep the original rim in the front as a “space saver”
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Nice rack!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Dammit Jimbo, I was gonna say that!

DON
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: