Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

Wow lots of catch cans (Amazon Search: "provent catch can").

Here's a video showing how a separator works. It says "in action". It's not, it's a computer-animation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvciHy2wD8
It makes sense though, just getting the oil out of the crankcase air reducing the oil into the intake tract.

$24 and up for shiny aluminum CNC speedwow type brands,
$56 for plastic ProVent
$147 for Moroso

One of them uses a SS scrubbie for the dripping element.
Seems like you'd want a physical block (also) like a filter.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Wow lots of catch cans (Amazon Search: "provent catch can").

Here's a video showing how a separator works. It says "in action". It's not, it's a computer-animation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvciHy2wD8
It makes sense though, just getting the oil out of the crankcase air reducing the oil into the intake tract.

$24 and up for shiny aluminum CNC speedwow type brands,
$56 for plastic ProVent
$147 for Moroso

One of them uses a SS scrubbie for the dripping element.
Seems like you'd want a physical block (also) like a filter.

The Provent uses a filter.. I remember paying much more for mine. I believe the little check valve was $50...
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
The Mann provent acts as a pcv and catch can. I have mine plumbed back to the case with a check valve. While separating oil from the air it also ensures negative pressure when possible. Nice bit of kit.

J

Indeed

And you can get the not huge one (the 100 series) online. Easier to package and still has the replaceable filter element.

Diesel filters online is a good spot to buy them, as I think one of the few north american sources for the 100 series cans.

Most of the cheeseball aluminum ebay stuff isn't worth bothering with.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

OK....well I ordered this $11 clear catch can to see what's passing by between the PCV valve and the intake manifold.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have to say I was surprised by how small it is.
My simple mind envisioned the size to be about a "palm & a half" as I didn't think anyone would even build one this small.
But anyway there "shouldn't" be a whole lotta oil on the vacuum side of the butterfly right?
If it's way too small I've wasted a whopping $11.00, and perhaps $2400 on the 2nd JDM lump.
But please understand, dear reader, that my cheapass mind goes "Cool.... eight barbed brass fittings in the toybox for $11.00."

If the little size seems "OK"..... there's something to be said for buying a 2nd unit to have a look the other leg
(the crankcase venting to the other side of the butterfly).

==== I drove the 2011 JDM lump yesterday=======

It seems to perform same as when I departed on my 6,000 miles trips, but no SNAP!

I'm so very happy you engine pros are listening in & offering advice.
I hope that my propensity to go off on my own horse a bit doesn't put you off.
Be assurred that what I do takes your advice in heavy consideration.
I hope it's at least interesting enough to keep you in the discussion, your assistance is appreciated by many forum members.
I'm talking to a couple other pros on the sidelines too.

I warmed up the engine, then went out for a highway run, up to to 5500RPM at times. Came home and checked compression. I did the compression test quick&dirty. Remove one plug at a time, start engine, blip throttle, like 500-1200rpm, trying to get about 10-20 hits. All cyls tested at 175-185 psi. Whew!
Does anyone know if these numbers have any validity?
Starters crank at ~200rpm.

But checking the header pipes with the IR temp, I get header-pipe temps (Subaru cyl #s)
    #1 290F
    #2 375°F
    #3 500°F

#4 290F

I'm lasering all the header pipes in "similar" locations, about 1 inch below the aluminum head.

I'm gonna remove & attempt to clean the injectors.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

That looks like it was made for an air compressor. Most catch cans are much much larger

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That looks like it was made for an air compressor. Most catch cans are much much larger

And is meant for compressed air service to function in the first place.

Not sure what the intent is there, why not just go with an automotive catch can and call it a day?

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

Ok air compressor, I should have seen that.
Cross-marketed to the rice-burner hot rod customer.

Haha most people know I rarely call it a day. Wink
I’ll call it a day when I’ve reached a level of understanding that satisfies me, or if it becomes un-interesting, or if my other needs pile up and I have to quit dickin’ around. I’m kinda like “retired”, this goes with the territory.

This simple $11 expenditure is supposed to let see with my own eyes, perhaps even realtime,
how much oil is going into the manifold on the vacuum side of the butterfly.
I can then move it to the other leg of the PCV system and compare the amount going to the other side of the butterfly. Or invest a 2nd $11.

I suspect at least some folks are interested as I am.
I’ll keep moving on this for the time being.... Wink

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

I guess my concern would be using a device that normally requires a bunch of pressure to collect suspended liquid, without a mesh or filter medium, to draw conclusions about the system performance you could achieve using the right part for the job.

Not critiquing the interest in deep diving, just the intended design of the experiment.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

I can’t go permanently mounting & plumbing unqualified components still in test phase.

Agreed VCG,,,,,I don’t like the sintered particle filter.
Liquid will soak it, and it will plug.
The filter needs to drain to remain open.
I might put a scrubbie in it.

=======. EDIT. ======

Ok here it is, more like an observation port than a catch can.
Probably won’t “observe” much after the oil darkens.

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I can’t go permanently mounting & plumbing unqualified components still in test phase.

I don’t like the sintered particle filter.
Liquid will soak it, and it will plug.
The filter needs to drain to remain open.
I might put a scrubbie in it.

=======. EDIT. ======

Ok here it is, more like an observation port than a catch can.
Probably won’t “observe” much after the oil darkens.

Ok.. I’m most likely missing something Subaru specific... this unit is plumbed from the crank to manifold vacuum? What regulates the positive and negative pressures? I’m really not trying to beat a dead horse but the provent acts as a cyclonic oil separator and a NCV (negative crankcase valve) ensuring a “slight” vacuum will be pulled on the crankcase at all possible times.

J
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

It also doesn’t seem that the hose fittings are large enough to effect a meaningful difference in case pressure.

J
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Ok.. I’m most likely missing something Subaru specific... this unit is plumbed from the crank to manifold vacuum?

Sodo wrote:
(wanna know) how much oil is going into the manifold on the vacuum side of the butterfly.
I can then move it to the other leg of the PCV system and compare the amount going to the other side of the butterfly.

I'll put it between the PCV valve and the manifold, (the vacuum side).
Then I'll move it to watch how much oil is going from the crankcase vent (Tee'd Crankcase + Rvalvecover + Lvalvecover hose) into the Airfilter side of the butterfly.

Observing crankcase ventilation/oil movement on both sides of the throttle plate.

The Subaru valve-cover vent hoses slip onto that barb with some engagement.
I wish it was about 2x size,, but it's see-thru and that's what I want for now.
I'da made a bigger unit from a jam jar if I'da knowed how small this was gonna be. Rolling Eyes

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

Good to hear that your new engine works - that compression is right where you want it.

The water separator on my bigger compressor is three or four times bigger than that device! But it does capture water, so it might do the same for your van.

I've made puke cans for race cars out of clear plastic water bottles: there's no pressure to deal with, so...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

I installed twin Radium Catch Cans. One for the PCV line and the other for the valve cover breathers.

In the winter they "catch" a lot of crud and water. In the summer they have been clean. At least nothing comes out of the drain tubes in the summer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: EJ25 death 81k (2007) JDM longblock replacement w/2011 Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Good to hear that your new engine works - that compression is right where you want it.

The water separator on my bigger compressor is three or four times bigger than that device!
But it does capture water, so it might do the same for your van.

I've made puke cans for race cars out of clear plastic water bottles: there's no pressure to deal with, so...

And certainly don't wanna spend the effort to clear a space for it, mount it etc.
Currently the need is to "know" if & how much & if any.

Syncro Jael that's interesting about the winter.vs.Summer.
Dang does that mean I have to use test units all winter?

==================

What a relief to drive it again.

Noting the difference in header-pipe temperatures, I took the (old) injectors out to clean them.
Today's task is scheming a method to clean & test them.

I did this to my injectors, then ran the car again and is seems exactly the same.
The forward two header pipes are still substantially hotter than the rearward two.
But the forward header pipes are 'collectors', the rearward pair are 'solo'.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: