Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

I could put this in the "what did you do for your Bay recently" thread because what I did was not get arrested and thrown in jail for beating the teenager who "Just looked away for a second" to a bloody pulp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I may get away with only needing the entire corner metal (bumper to drip rail) as he hit me in exactly the spot to not really fuck up any other panel more than can be reasonably fixed.

So - what vendor is currently favored for these panels?

Yes, I searched but the opinions seem to change fairly frequently, and the vendors quality seems to go up and down.......

FYI - he crunched my super expensive deep cycle agm batter too.
I see no frame damage, but something might crop up when things get started.

FUCK (sorry)
and thanks
Andrew

Last edited by andrewtf on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

just looked away to look at his phone...
that sucks. how sick did you feel when that happened?
its just stuff, and the important thing is everyone is ok.
good luck w the repairs.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

Ouch, that really sucks!

Like you said though, if there was a silver lining it's that beyond that corner it really doesn't look too bad.

Did he (or his parents) have insurance?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Ouch! Crying or Very sad

After all those years of being in the body shop, it hurts to see this happen.
And while it looks horrible, it appears the one panel will be the only one need replacing. Fingers crossed. Pray

Is it ever too late to catch the guy in an alley and have a "conversation" with him? Think

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM

Last edited by KentABQ on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

Damn, real sorry to see this. This almost happened to me a month ago but my bike rack saved the bus.
How about these?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2317534
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

^this got me thinking...how about getting what you need from a donor bus?
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

I am generally not a hostile guy - unless you really piss me off.
In this kind of situation I try to remember that no matter how pissed I am, the other guy is probably more sorry and shitting his pants. He was polite, very apologetic, and appropriately ashamed. And is insured.

It may be fun..... the pick up he was driving is owned by Autozone. I suspect he was delivering a part and was checking his phone gps to see if he needed to turn at the fairly major intersection we were crossing. He did get a ticket, but nothing about texting.

Insurance guys are in the mix now, so we'll see how it goes. I have no idea what they will say about replacement panels. The only good news is that I can take it to the shop that did the original body work. This is an insurance repair - so I am confident I will get me bus back faster than the 665 days it took initially. Fortunately, the shop listens to me about where to get panels.

I'll try to keep this loop circling and will report back at some point about the progress.

thanks everyone
Andrew
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

Bummer about that damage. Looks like that was repaired in the past. Hopefully no other problems show up.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

My favored solutions for the panel would be, in this order:

1. Original German rust-free perfect panel off a donor bus. It may take some work to clean it up, but that is part of the cost, and insurance has it covered.

2. One of those Brazilian panels. I suspect they are of lighter gauge that the OG, but am not sure.

3. KlassicFab, if they have it.

4. Alan Schofield, if they have it.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

Don't assume insurance has this covered. They may be thinking right now "Wow, I'm glad it's 40 years old - probably some beater. Give him his $100 and let's total it."

Andrew may have a fight coming.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Don't assume insurance has this covered. They may be thinking right now "Wow, I'm glad it's 40 years old - probably some beater. Give him his $100 and let's total it."

Andrew may have a fight coming.

This.

My Bus was parked for a decade following an even more minor accident because the owner was under-insured. Insurance said "this car is worthless, total it" even though it was a two owner Bus with under 60K miles. Because it was a 40 year old "Old Car".

Luckily, in my experience. If you document everything you've done to a vehicle, you can usually get insurance to realize the car is worth more than whatever their database tells them.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

Sucks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2317534

Call around to the Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, Acura, Tesla dealers and see who does their bodywork. You want the best. You do NOT want to use the body shop the Insurance company suggests. Your bus IS worth $30,000 +/- and there are people here who will attest to that. Do not let the Insurance company total it. Lots of us here have our buses insured on agreed value to $35,000 - $70,000 or more. It is near impossible to replace one today for less unless you do all the work.

Frankly I think when someone hits someone due to phone, shaving, makeup etc., they should have be given a choice of having their driving privileges suspended, or schlepping in the body shop doing menial tasks on all their time off until the car is fixed to your satisfaction. And if a car is totaled it is one year picking up trash on a trash gang. And if you are never satisfied then they can pay you the lost value of your car because all the insurance company will do is make it look close to the same.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

I did this repair on my 71. I could not find a “new” corner (maybe only available in Europe if I remember correctly) so I cut one off a donor. I just did beltline down though and also had to do the wheel well area. If you search my threads I did a pretty in depth thread on the replacement. Really wasn’t bad just took a lot of time.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

I have that corner ( OG is the best way to go ) for sale. PM for details

Thanks
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

I’ve got nothing constructive to add, but man, so sorry.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I could put this in the "what did you do for your Bay recently" thread because what I did was not get arrested and thrown in jail for beating the teenager who "Just looked away for a second" to a bloody pulp.

Were you able to get a good replacement panel?
Did you get satisfaction from the insurance company?
Did you get the satisfaction of beating the crap out of the kid who did it? Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

At least your a CUBS fan!
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

Ironic that you posted.... and when I opened my computer this morning, this was the top thread.

Ironic in that - this accident occured on September 30, 2020 and I dropped my bus off at the shop about 10 minutes ago on my way to work....January 15, 2021. They had to make the space and time for me.

It did take me hours and hours to dis-assmeble all the cabinetry, wiring, and everything else from that corner so the shop has access. And I'll have even more hours and hours putting all back together again when I get this back. Oh well...... I love my bus, and an excuse to spend some more bonding time is not all that bad I suppose.

The frame was tweeked a bit in the accident and the majority of the metal and other bits are coming from Heritage - accross the pond.

At least my bus can be warmer and cosier over the winter. We got our first real snowfall last night (very late for us), and with Big Emma home for an extended period, my bus Murphy lives outside.

I'll keep this process up to date from time to time as to the progress.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

Oh yea....
I almost forgot

Go Cubs!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another thread for the *best* replacement panels..was rear ended Reply with quote

I just dressed up a freshly painted bus this week, that had both rear corners replaced with the Klockerholm panels. The left side went together without a hitch, so even if you got the cheap panels you should be good for reassembly. (The right side required about an hour of grinder work and touch up paint to get the tail light housing to fit…)

Go Cubs! (I caught for Mike Montgomery in little league, so I'm a little biased…)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: