Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal repair panels
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Metal repair panels Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation(s) for where to get sheet metal for an '95 EVC? Specifically, I'm looking for A-pillars, and the windshield lip. I'm not positive that I have to replace them, just prepping for the possibility that the rust showing around the seal is probably just the beginning of where the rot appears. Having dealt with these things on my T2, it has been my experience that there is probably a lot more rust below the rubber seal.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal repair panels Reply with quote

I've never seen reproduction sheet metal for those parts. I'd look for a junkyard van and cut or have someone cut them for you.

The A pillars bubbling is a common T4/Eurovan issue and I haven't seen it require replacement of those areas. Just stripping, inhibiting, prepping, and repainting.

But if you decide to replace them find a junkyard van and get them to chop off the OEM steel.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal repair panels Reply with quote

ocelotpotpie wrote:
I've never seen reproduction sheet metal for those parts. I'd look for a junkyard van and cut or have someone cut them for you.

The A pillars bubbling is a common T4/Eurovan issue and I haven't seen it require replacement of those areas. Just stripping, inhibiting, prepping, and repainting.

But if you decide to replace them find a junkyard van and get them to chop off the OEM steel.

There's obviously been some work done prior to me owning her. The passenger's side has body filler that is peeling away from the pillar. There's rust under the filler. It is on a long list of things to do. I have traded some parts for a T2 with a buddy of mine that welds. Eventually, I'll remove the glass and see what lurks beneath. Consequently, I did find a website that had pillars for one side but not the other. As you said, I may have to find a donor, should the need arise.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal repair panels Reply with quote

In this same forum, someone just mentioned finding a yard in the Midwest that had 24 Eurovans being parted. Local yard here (Kings Auto Parts, Cedar Falls, IA) has 2 late ones. Very nice people to deal with.
I'd be surprised if your damage is so great that you need to replace large area.
but I guess, you just have to open it up and remove the bondo. Heat gun and puttty knife works good for that.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal repair panels Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
In this same forum, someone just mentioned finding a yard in the Midwest that had 24 Eurovans being parted. Local yard here (Kings Auto Parts, Cedar Falls, IA) has 2 late ones. Very nice people to deal with.
I'd be surprised if your damage is so great that you need to replace large area.
but I guess, you just have to open it up and remove the bondo. Heat gun and puttty knife works good for that.

Hi Alan!

Yes, I saw the post yesterday. Pretty cool to see that there are people still catering to our crowd. You'd be hard pressed to find anything like that down in this neck of the woods. T4 parts are more rare than hen's teeth.

Fortunately, I was able to locate both A-pillars. I actually went to my local dealership and asked if they had access to them. I deal with the same person nearly every time I go. He's extremely patient with me and takes the time to look things up for me. Anyhow, he found one, no problem. The other showed only one available, anywhere in VW's inventory. He called the shop the next day, and they confirmed they had it. Whether that is true or not, I couldn't say, but I will say that I was turned away everywhere I attempted to source them, so I'm inclined to believe him. I'm just glad to have them.

It is going to be a while before I dive into the project, but I will be sure to post results.
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal repair panels Reply with quote

I ordered an "A PILLAR" VW part # 701 809 206 through ECS tuning. It is the passenger A pillar but the INNER- not the outer skin that I needed. I went to 43 Auto Parts (the place with 24 vans) and the cut me the entire pillar, from the top to bottom for $150. Saves my body man hours of time and me money. Let me know what pillars you get because i would love to have the factory panel from the upper seam to down under the fender.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Metal repair panels Reply with quote

studioh wrote:
I ordered an "A PILLAR" VW part # 701 809 206 through ECS tuning. It is the passenger A pillar but the INNER- not the outer skin that I needed. I went to 43 Auto Parts (the place with 24 vans) and the cut me the entire pillar, from the top to bottom for $150. Saves my body man hours of time and me money. Let me know what pillars you get because i would love to have the factory panel from the upper seam to down under the fender.

I'm glad you wrote! I've been trying to figure out the hell, what I received was going to replace what is already there. Obviously it is very close in appearance, but not exactly the same. It now becomes abundantly clear that it is just the inner. Trouble is (I think) that is of less concern to me than the outer skin. That's where all the really nasty bubbling and rot are. I may have to call them up and see if there's a good donor with a couple of pillars yet to be cut out. I'm probably a good way away from doing that...some time down the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: