Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

Seeing the crazy prices of the Porsche 914's on the classified section, I'm reminded how about 8 years ago a 1972, all original, orange 914 popped on the local craigslist for $1,000 obo. It had been listed less than an hour before I saw it. The ad showed a perfect looking car, 40+ years old of course, with everything in its placed and nothing missing/aftermarket. The ad said rough floors and at that time, I didn't really like the looks so I didn't even bother to text the guy.

Another one that also kills me was a Devin. The craigslist ad showed a phenomenal time capsule that needed attention but it was all there too. Asking price was $4,500. I decided to sleep on it and the next day I decided to sleep on it again, went to check the ad three days later and it was gone.

Dumb...dumb...dumb...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Seeing the crazy prices of the Porsche 914's on the classified section, I'm reminded how about 8 years ago a 1972, all original, orange 914 popped on the local craigslist for $1,000 obo. It had been listed less than an hour before I saw it. The ad showed a perfect looking car, 40+ years old of course, with everything in its placed and nothing missing/aftermarket. The ad said rough floors and at that time, I didn't really like the looks so I didn't even bother to text the guy.

Another one that also kills me was a Devin. The craigslist ad showed a phenomenal time capsule that needed attention but it was all there too. Asking price was $4,500. I decided to sleep on it and the next day I decided to sleep on it again, went to check the ad three days later and it was gone.

Dumb...dumb...dumb...

Don't beat yourself up too hard on the 914. At a price that low, and admitting floor rust, it was probably ready to fold in half, as these cars have water/rust pockets that are very hard to find/fix/mitigate. It can be bad enough the doors won't open/close, even though externally the car looks fine.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/rustrepair.htm
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Frame-Repair-srch.html

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

The 1970 red Impala convertible my husband sold without telling me to buy a horse. Crying or Very sad sigh.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
joey1320 wrote:

Dumb...dumb...dumb...

Don't beat yourself up too hard on the 914. At a price that low, and admitting floor rust, it was probably ready to fold in half, as these cars have water/rust pockets that are very hard to find/fix/mitigate. It can be bad enough the doors won't open/close, even though externally the car looks fine.

The also lead to hair loss and small membership.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

Way back when I was shopping for my first Beetle my dad found an ad for a Porsche 912 for really cheap. No one wanted them because they were 4 cylinder, not 6. I said nah... I'd rather have a Beetle.

Nowadays a nice 912 is worth a heck of a lot more than a Beetle.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
The 1970 red Impala convertible my husband sold without telling me to buy a horse.
Does he still have the horse? Do you still have the husband? Think
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
The 1970 red Impala convertible my husband sold without telling me to buy a horse. Crying or Very sad sigh.

Great sig line , Margaret. An Impala for a Horse, aren’t horses slower?
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

AF, early 80's; newly married and just transferred to Edwards AFB. In the lemon lot I saw a 1971 GTO - my new wife would not allow purchase (touch over $8,000) - learned it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission (would have lost in divorce anyway).
1971 GTO Judge Convertible, black on black on black. All seventeen of them had 455's.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

A '65 GTO 389 6 pack 4 speed in red with a black interior, all original for $3200 back about mid 70's. I walked away from it (idiot!) some other guy talked him down to $1700, put down 1/2 payment, took the car and disappeared!

A '68 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed, all original in dark green with black factory decals in mint condition. $3000 would have taken it home.

A '71 Dodge Demon 340 auto, needed suspension work and a valve grind but was running.

I did buy a '65 Corvair Corsa two door, factory turbo, 4 speed, all the gauges in very restorable condition. Sold it due to financial hardship. Wish I had it back! I found out later that the only more collectable Corvair would have been the same car in a convertible.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

Not cars but trucks I owned years ago and worth bucks today...

'67 VW Bus
'64 Chevrolet panel 283 V8
'66 GMC Suburban V6 4x4
'77 Toyota FJ40
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Seeing the crazy prices of the Porsche 914's on the classified section, I'm reminded how about 8 years ago a 1972, all original, orange 914 popped on the local craigslist for $1,000 obo.
Dumb...dumb...dumb...

Now if it had been a 914/6 then yes "Dumb...dumb...dumb"!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

In 1970 Plymouth dealers couldn't give away the 1969 Superbird. Even with a 440 and automatic they are worth $$$$

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

My 71 ford maverick was a ton of fun, and if I had held onto it there would be so much potential. Comfy, light, surprisingly fun to drive with a 200 six and a C4 automatic transmission. All it needed was paint and front seat upholstery.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

So all you car day dreamers just stop for a minute and consider if you would have invested $5000 in the stock market 30-40 years ago what you would have today. Old cars are neat but very, very few have outpaced the stock market.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
So all you car day dreamers just stop for a minute and consider if you would have invested $5000 in the stock market 30-40 years ago what you would have today.

Microsoft
Facebook
Google
Apple

D'oh

But I made a boat load on Dell in the 90s Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

I refuse to participate in this conversation------it is too depressing. Crying or Very sad

(on the other hand, I did get to enjoy my '54 Austin Healey, '54 356 cabriolet, new '67 Cougar XR7, '68 Corvette, various Corvairs and Thunderbirds, and a mahogany Chris-Craft Very Happy )
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Emily's Owner wrote:
The 1970 red Impala convertible my husband sold without telling me to buy a horse.
Does he still have the horse? Do you still have the husband? Think

Horse ended up being a knothead, so of course we ended up selling him and taking a bath price-wise. Still have the husband...for now.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I refuse to participate in this conversation------it is too depressing. Crying or Very sad

(on the other hand, I did get to enjoy my '54 Austin Healey, '54 356 cabriolet, new '67 Cougar XR7, '68 Corvette, various Corvairs and Thunderbirds, and a mahogany Chris-Craft Very Happy )

You still have your health Very Happy

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
So all you car day dreamers just stop for a minute and consider if you would have invested $5000 in the stock market 30-40 years ago what you would have today. Old cars are neat but very, very few have outpaced the stock market.

Approximate I am sure but an online calculator using the Dow Jones says:
30 years is $50K
40 years is $165K

Realistically if you bought some dream car "cheap" 40 years ago, do you think you would still have it?
Probably not... Or at least let the thought that you probably wouldn't have it now anyway keep you sane.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: If I only knew then... Cars that got away due to stupidity. Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
iowegian wrote:

You still have your health Very Happy

This is true, Margaret-------and my brain still works reasonably well (at least as good as it ever did--------I think Confused )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: