Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trail Master by MAAS HD review
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Great review!
Looks like the Trailmaster uses thicker wire for the springs and probably has a higher spring rate. Which would make sense why youre not bouncing as much. Glad you found a good match for your vehicle weight.

fwiw, it would help others if you give the weight of your vehicle.

As far as the front axle hitting the spring perch, Fox shocks do that too, IF you use GW +2 springs.. but its better to use the +0 in front, since the Fox spring perch is threaded and can be raised... no shim required.

Youre running really tall at over 20", seems the Trailmaster wont let you get down to your previous 19.5, nor even 20". Just flagging that issue for others already worrying about the next purchase of 930CVs and axle$

Kudos also for listing droop distance, that extra 1" droop is definitely going to add to the CV angle.

fwiw, the highest angle I have measured with Fox shocks at full droop is 19degrees on the front axle shaft. I would be interested in knowing the angle your front axle achieves.

This speaks to CV choices, as stock maxes out at 18degrees, while 930's go up to 28degrees.

What tends to fail on the high lift vans is the boot, which once damaged lets dirt and water in to destroy the CV.. keep an eye on your boots.

I remember Reading another post on the Porsche CV subject, and believe the 944 CV's were a great compromise. About the same max angles as the 911 CV, but With the same diameter as the Stock syncro CV? So you wouldnt have to replace all the flanges like you would With the 911 CV's. Or am I missing something?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
(Wife saw the visa bill Evil or Very Mad ).

You let her see the bill? You fool! Always eat the receipts & bill stubs, so the wife doesn't know how much you spend. Laughing
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 944 joints.
They have been used for many miles without issue on a lifted Syncro.

My stock of the actually joints are easily 10-15 years old and were purchased from Porsche.
The quality vs today's available joints is night and day, my opinion.
The older ones are heavier, tighter and have a much better finish on all machined areas.

Not trying to rain on the parade, 944s are worth using, still, as they are better than the stock Vanagon CVs I have seen in the last three years.

Quality grease and plenty of it on a regular basis will keep them in service for a long time.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

I remember Reading another post on the Porsche CV subject, and believe the 944 CV's were a great compromise. About the same max angles as the 911 CV, but With the same diameter as the Stock syncro CV? So you wouldnt have to replace all the flanges like you would With the 911 CV's. Or am I missing something?

correct
no flange swaps required
I run 944's in back, stock front axles
my rear ride height is 21", front 20"
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Hit up another camping weekend with Full Gear for camping and riding... Every time we take it out with the Trailmaster setup my wife and I at some point look at each other and say... Wow, what a difference. Rail crossings, dirt roads, driveways, side winds.... it really handles the loads nicely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Update: Hit up another camping weekend with Full Gear for camping and riding... Every time we take it out with the Trailmaster setup my wife and I at some point look at each other and say... Wow, what a difference. Rail crossings, dirt roads, driveways, side winds.... it really handles the loads nicely.

After reading this report (again, many times...) and your last post, I guess it will be a good choice for our van too.

I still have a question about it to be able to compare with what I have currently.
Our Syncro tintop came with GW+2 and OME shocks with the same problem as yours but I did modify them and added about 2" of travel on all 4 shocks so even on bump stops the suspension isn't "topping out". Rear is ok but the front seems to be pumping too much to my taste (shocks and springs wise I think)

If you had that modification done to your old setup in the past (longer shocks), how would you compare to what you have now with a regular load on your van?

Again, thanks for the report and even more for the follow up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NEVER go back to my original setup with GW+2 springs.... Ever.

We just got back from a camp trip up in the Trinity nat forest and the Suspension was the highlight of the trip. Fully loaded to the max...again... Climbing and descending 3500' small mountain roads I could carry Much more speed safely than the last time I went the same route. I must state again, that I really really load my van and this is when the system shines. I've been running Nokian Ntyres for a while now and even though they are load rated, the sidewalls are not reinforced.. Even with the squish provided by them, the stability in winds, corners and grades is fantastic.

BTW.. my little home grown 2.2 WBX net 18.7mpg over the trip.

To give you an idea of weight (it's like a cartoon)

Syncro westy
850lbs of people and dog
Heavy plate bumpers front and rear
Plate retracting side step
60's Westy circus tent and poles in the luggage rack
Thule box on the roof with Sleeping bags, skateboards, scooters and fishing gear
Full water tank
Full fridge and all cabinets
Full size house battery
Full Propane tank
Propex
Spare axle and other parts
Porta potty
Subwoofer
Folding jump seat
100lb hitch rack
200lb moto
5Gal full gas can
Honda 2000watt generator
Window AC unit
600lb trailer
5gal of drinking water
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you made it clear.

This is a lot of weight, I don't think I'll ever load our van like that.

I'll look into these but might opt for the light version of the package as our van usually weight about 4600lbs but we are planning to add a hightop in the future.

Your fuel average seems pretty good with that load.

Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Master by MAAS HD review Reply with quote

Has Trail Master disappeared?

I don't see them for sale anywhere...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Master by MAAS HD review Reply with quote

The kits are still available overseas.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trail Master by MAAS HD review Reply with quote

Hi
May I ask on long term experience?

My rear is really sagging (about 17¨ on a syncro - about 1¨ less than stock)
If my bus is at 2225kg with full tank and 50l of water I think that HD will be right approach. Or am I mistaken?
rontv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trail Master by MAAS HD review Reply with quote

Hi guys

i have the same question. HD or regular
I have 16" syncro high top. no Westy, just a simple kitchen unit, fridge
But i have a rack on the tow bar at the rear. With all our stuff ont (spare, hiluft, 20ltr fuel, some camping stuff) its adds up to 120kg

advice is wlecomed

Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: