Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

If you are considering a Webasto or espar, why not consider trying out a chinese diesel heater? They share similar mounting plate. For trail period, you could carry a kerosene in luggage rack or outside vehicle. Once you get to camp, take 1 minute to hook up fuel line to gas tank and sit outside vehicle.

Get a 2k unit. If you want more heat then buy a 4k unit. Like the heater but not the extra fuel - get a webasto or espar.

Heaters will test your aux battery system out.

Here's a link for $120 kit that I believe is afterburner compatible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Air-Diesel-Heater-2KW...4039515233
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

One issue I've had with my Propex is that it's hard to have them serviced. Mine lasted about five years, then stopped working on the thermostat. The tech at VC was helpful, but it looks like I have to pull the whole thing and send it to them for servicing. It's been in there nine years.

Seems like any off-brand would be impossible to service. Maybe buy a few of them and consider them expendables?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

the CDH are quite serviceable compared to the propex.
the components are available ala-cart or buy a whole 2nd unit for ~$99. for all the spares. each piece is plug & play accessible unless you bury it.

my propex was already serviced once in it's life and now it has a slight issue with the controller. it works fine mostly but then it'll sit there and not tick on, I'll touch/wiggle it and it'll fire up.. so something is getting loose inside there.

I have a ALl-in-one CDH we used this weekend to heat our screen house dining tent while at the lake.. worked a charm, used little fuel and little from the spare/aux battery.. though I'd have rather brought our propane tank top 360* heater that doesn't work when there's a picnic table inside. and the CDH was more thermostatically controlled.

I bought the all-in-one unit to also try as a exterior heater for my back up camper.. set it on the ground outside and duct the heat up to a cardboard insert in the side window. operates via a remote control. on/off up-down temps..
so that's an option too, like Dave who installed an all-in-one to remove in the warm months..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

also let me add that in our experiences so far we prefer the 5KW units. set to always run on the lowest setting vs the smaller 2kw units that come on/off thermostatically. these draw more amps on the start/shut down cycles.. also they do fume more on the start/shut down cycles.
the slow constant low heat is nice.. there's no ebb&flow of heat/cool cycles and the overall electricity use appears to be low as the fans are stepped efficient units. not speed controlled by a resistor.

I did buy some 'pine scent' for the fuel but didn't get a chance to try if it makes startup/shut downs less diesely. was $4 for ~20gals treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

For those of you with the gas heaters, do they work at altitudes of 11,000 feet? I live at 7000 feet and travel up to 10500-11000 frequently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
For those of you with the gas heaters, do they work at altitudes of 11,000 feet? I live at 7000 feet and travel up to 10500-11000 frequently.

The Espar has an altitude kit. I love at 6k and use frequently at 10k+

The webasto altitudes only up to 7k

No ideas about the Chinese ones though likely the afterburner has some kind of adjustment

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm really intrigued with that Wallas unit. It's unclear from pics or their literature, but does it have the capability to run two "burners" at varying rates?

Yes it has two burners. One has a diesel flame directly below it so it's the hot burner, while the one next to it is indirectly heated, but still gets hot. For reference it takes about 5 min to boil a large pot of water on the large one on high heat while the small one would only simmer.

The control panel on my set up in on the right of the cabinet front. It has a knob that varies the heat input.
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm really intrigued with that Wallas unit. It's unclear from pics or their literature, but does it have the capability to run two "burners" at varying rates?

I'm intrigued with the dog not going after the steaks Wink

That happened after I took that picture and all hell broke loose!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Viva.Sabata wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Yes it has two burners. One has a diesel flame directly below it so it's the hot burner, while the one next to it is indirectly heated, but still gets hot. For reference it takes about 5 min to boil a large pot of water on the large one on high heat while the small one would only simmer.

The control panel on my set up in on the right of the cabinet front. It has a knob that varies the heat input.

How much are those units?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

so much 'hand wringing' about these
cheap Chinese heaters.

From my experience=

- The low price = buy two, and any problems you have a spare.

- if you buy the 'kits' and self install, ask yourself,
how do I de-install this quagmire of parts for service/repair?

- Installing under the floor. These are NOT weather proof.
Look under your car- it's a corrosive rusty mess. A splash shield is pointless.

An All-In-One Unit was ideal for my Westy.
- The entire unit can be removed in less than 2 minutes for repair, maintenance.
- Fast, easy to remove when not needed in Summer, for more cargo space.
- In 3 years, better technology will be available= No permanent install.
- I don't have time to 'engineer' an enclosure. It's done. and Cheap.

I encourage anyone to explore these CDH.
For ridiculous money, they blow away the megabuck Euro units.

Quite Simply, Forced Air Heat is wonderful in a Westy for Fall & Winter Camping!

INSTALL PICS= REMOVED OEM HEATER, FITS PERFECT!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Do most of you using CDH use the 2 or 5 kw version? Worried that the 2 will not be warm enough in -20c but the 5 too hot in 0c.
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

depends on your level of comfort heat.
depends on if you have the top up in such weather.
if so is it just up for storage? or are you also sleeping up there.

we do not find the 5kw too much for 0*c that's 32*f.
we ran ours this past weekend in 2 rigs was ~45*f overnight.. the 5kw unit will go down to a very nice slow low constant heat.. and ramp up if needed.

personally I'd only go with a 2kw unit for a smaller car/space requirement. like a beetle.

edit, they also come with a key fob remote control, so you can hang it by your head in the bunk and adjust the temp/on-off w/o getting up.. so... what ever.. I'm usually awake a few times a night either for rolling over or the rest room.

you can be one of those heman deny'rs who puts on a hat, socks and mittens to sleep.. boil off some coffee in the am to warm it up and fog the windows..
hmm makes me think of using the heaters output to preheat the morning coffee water.

Last edited by danfromsyr on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:

How much are those units?

The internet says $2500...

Not really "no budget"

https://scanmarineusa.com/online-store/wallas-nordic-dt-diesel-stove-heater/

Single fuel would be really really cool for my TDI swap...
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
Do most of you using CDH use the 2 or 5 kw version? Worried that the 2 will not be warm enough in -20c but the 5 too hot in 0c.

We have installed the larger 5k unit. Winter camping in the Rockies often leads to sub-zero nights. Camping at -14°f at just over 10,000ft was very comfortable. Even the 5k unit was cycling. This is with window insulation and an insulation barrier at the back of the seats cutting the living space down.

Yes, if it is not at least below 45°f ambient temps, even ramped down on low, the 5k unit will produce too much heat. We just open a window if needed to regulate interior temps. We have never been cold since installing the CDH.

My installation is at the rear of the refrigerator cabinet. I have the inside cold air intake sucking from under the sink cabinet and the hot air vent coming out the cabinet door in front of the water storage tank. This has so far kept my LiFeP04 batteries and waterlines from freezing when it is really cold outside.

Go big if you winter camp. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Ill echo what Syncro jael has said About the 5kw unit. We have a 5kw and would not go less. Id rather have too much heat and regulate it with opening windows then shivering wishing we had gone bigger. They use pretty much the same power and heat juice. I have a hightop with insulation and we rarely need to sleep with it on overnight, unless below frezzing. But use it in morning to take the edge off. When my van was a poptop we slept with it on overnight all the time as the canvas lost a lot of the heat quickly. Everyones needs and vans are different. The 5kw is perfect for our setup. 2kw may be perfect for someone else who lives in a more temperate environment. We live and play in the mountains of MT year round. Its makes for a great warm base camp when skiing too Wink
Ill also echo what someone else said in regards to buying two. I bought three, one for the van, one for the garage and one for a spare. $330 all in. Three working units for less than half the price of anything comparable Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

If you install a 5k heater and decide it is too much - you can easily swap to a 2k heater and use the 5k heater for the garage or maybe a portable unit with an ARB add a room awning.

This is what I did. I'm still testing the 2k unit.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:

Insulate a van with the correct materials and 2K is plenty. Wink
Smaller running at higher cycle will burn cleaner and cause less coking. Larger is going to be on low setting too much a require yearly (or more) decoking and atomization screens.
For those naysayers. consider this: my 2003, mid-length highroof Sprinter heated extremely well in subzero temps with an Espar D2 - insulated properly with quality materials. But then it is an Espar... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

That's it? Well I guess that explains why people need a 5K....if that's the hottest air it produces it's not truly 5K no way, no how. For comparison, the Propex 2800 produces 330 degrees and tops out at a true 10,000 btu. (in Propex UK's tests it exceeded stated output) A 5K heater 'should' be 17,000 btu. It's not even close to that at 205-210 degree output. My Espar D2s put out close to 300 degrees and a true 7500 btu on top setting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

My 2k heater has body temperature of 418'F so I'm not sure if that is accurate. I haven't read temps on my output.

Also comparing a $1000 heater to a $100 heater.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide what heater to get, propex, CDH, or other? Reply with quote

I have both a propex 2800 and a CDH in my driveway
I'll see if I can find an oven thermometer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: