Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

Probably a dead end, but that's a pretty good size oil feed line for the turbo. Looks like number 4AN. If the pressure relief valve stuck, quite a bit of oil and pressure could have been forced to the turbo, possibly bypassing the seal and being carried to the intake.

Factory oil supply tube has a pretty small ID. That's probably not what happened though.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Probably a dead end, but that's a pretty good size oil feed line for the turbo. Looks like number 4AN. If the pressure relief valve stuck, quite a bit of oil and pressure could have been forced to the turbo, possibly bypassing the seal and being carried to the intake.

Factory oil supply tube has a pretty small ID. That's probably not what happened though.

the two times ive had inline vw pressure relief valves stick, both have resulted in all of the oil being emptied within a matter of seconds at the oil filter seal. not in vans, and neither were diesels, but that seemed to be the first place they pour out of seal-wise.

based on the sounds though it seems like the engine has internal damage now, either way. Sad

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

I got too late of a start to the day today, but tomorrow I will reset the timing and dump the oil. Make sure I have 5 liters. I think, maybe, that the oil drain valve I put on didn't allow it to drain completely. It was either a 90° bend it the drain tube, or feeding the DT through the skid plate, above the level of the drain.
Tomorrow.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I got too late of a start to the day today, but tomorrow I will reset the timing and dump the oil. Make sure I have 5 liters. I think, maybe, that the oil drain valve I put on didn't allow it to drain completely. It was either a 90° bend it the drain tube, or feeding the DT through the skid plate, above the level of the drain.
Tomorrow.

What is your dipstick showing now, before the oil is dumped?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

Are you using a stock diesel oil pan? The VW Vanagon Bentley says for the early diesel engine models 3.5 liters without filter change, 4.0 liters with filter change. What oil fill specs have you found for Syncro with JX?

Mark

Team WorldTour wrote:
.....tomorrow I will reset the timing and dump the oil. Make sure I have 5 liters.....
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

Feel for you, Team Worldtour - hope it's not as serious as it looks. I dread this in my AHU, last fall took it for a test drive and suddenly the engine pitch changed while accelerating hard onto the highway and she laid down more smoke than a destroyer at Midway. I'm sure the people behind me thought James Bond was making a getaway in a VW Van.

Then she smoothed right out and not a hint of a problem since - scared me good tho.

Hoping you can solve things relatively easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Are you using a stock diesel oil pan? The VW Vanagon Bentley says for the early diesel engine models 3.5 liters without filter change, 4.0 liters with filter change. What oil fill specs have you found for Syncro with JX?

Mark

Team WorldTour wrote:
.....tomorrow I will reset the timing and dump the oil. Make sure I have 5 liters.....

Hi Mark, yes, I am using the stock JX pan, but on AAZ motor.
Five liters is the full line on my 72cm dipstick.
@leecat- I can only hope that I am that lucky.
@wildthings- my driveway is on a steep angle, so any attempt at an accurate reading is impossible.
Tomorrow. I swear!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

The AAZ block has a different dipstick hole and the factory JX dipstick doesn't match it.

When I do AAZ installations I add the desired quantity of oil and then mark the dipstick to match my desired oil min and max levels.

In my opinion 5 liters is too much for an AAZ with factory diesel van oil pan.

Mark

Team WorldTour wrote:
Hi Mark, yes, I am using the stock JX pan, but on AAZ motor.
Five liters is the full line on my 72cm dipstick.
@leecat- I can only hope that I am that lucky.
@wildthings- my driveway is on a steep angle, so any attempt at an accurate reading is impossible.
Tomorrow. I swear!
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

I can measure it when I suck it out. Siphoning cold oil downhill shouldn't be too difficult...
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

IIRC Syncro diesels require 5 liters 5.5 qt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

So, my day is already pretty full.
Lost my job, wife had hand surgery, and I am scheduled for a procedure next week. What that means is, I alone am responsible for the daily operations in the house.
Also, I've ordered a 12v suction pump. It will be here Sat/ Mon. I will measure the oil when it gets pumped out.
As it stands, the van is ass-down in the sloping driveway, so the oil fill tube is the lowest point. Maximum oil recovery. I will update here as I can....
Thank you all so far for the advice and encouragement.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

Man, when it rains it pours. One day a time. Health > work > van. It can sit a bit. Take care of yourself and family.

Best of luck.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

^^ great post, 4gears. I get myself all worked up about van issues and am really working on remembering it's just a thing, not going anywhere, and the rest of life- including self-care- is usually more important. I'm trying (not succeeding, trying) to only work on the van when it's what I want to do- in other words, when working on the van IS self-care.

Fingers crossed, TeamWolrldTour, and take care of yourself and your family first!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

The VW JX document sources I saw say 4.0 liters without filter, 4.5 liters with filter.
Has this changed since the early 90s?

Mark

westyventures wrote:

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The VW JX document sources I saw say 4.0 liters without filter, 4.5 liters with filter.
Has this changed since the early 90s?

Mark

westyventures wrote:

In 2WD configuration the bottom of the pan is level or tilted back, in Syncro it tilts forward. At 4 liters it will suck air under braking or turning. I used that as an oil level test on long drives - braking or hard turns the gauge would bob low which indicated a quart low.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
So, my day is already pretty full.
Lost my job, wife had hand surgery, and I am scheduled for a procedure next week. What that means is, I alone am responsible for the daily operations in the house.
Also, I've ordered a 12v suction pump. It will be here Sat/ Mon. I will measure the oil when it gets pumped out.
As it stands, the van is ass-down in the sloping driveway, so the oil fill tube is the lowest point. Maximum oil recovery. I will update here as I can....
Thank you all so far for the advice and encouragement.

I hear ya. I lost my airline job last month. I did find another job, and I start next week. I had to relocate to New Mexico. It's nice here Smile

Anyhow, I hope you get it sorted out. I've decided to put an AHU in my 85 Vanagon, not my Syncro. I have a complete M-TDI, except it needs an new IP. My 02 Jetta TDI has over 400k miles on it. I'm hoping I will get similar reliability on my 85 M-TDI conversion.

Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

So, slowly but surely, it is coming along. I received my 12v oil pump over the weekend, and proceeded to pump the oil pan out.
CAUTION: LOUD!

Link

The pump says to limit work to 30-minute intervals. I had to run three work-cycles to get the pan drained. I ended up with 7 quarts in my bucket (Towards the end, I dumped an extra liter in the engine, so I could visually verify the pan was empty). S0, in reality, I pumped SIX quarts out of the pan. Yeah.... I'm going to have to rethink this oil drain valve idea.....
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

The JX pan has two oil drains - one at the front and one at the rear of the pan. I don't understand the need for the pump.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

Syncro, with a skid plate. The front drain is the only accessable one. Ant it is pointed uphill...
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Ain't That About A Kick In The Crotch..... Reply with quote

If the engine is installed correctly with Syncro TD bars, the front one will drain perfectly on level surfaces.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: