Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15'' tire options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Was ET25 intended just for the rears?

<shrug>

- Dave

All the wheels I have had the same ET25 stamp on them.

Last edited by jayinduluth on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Was ET25 intended just for the rears?

<shrug>

- Dave

I don't think so. I think it was a slight variation between 2 different suppliers. The stamps are different between the two pairs. I called VC about it, and they were unaware of the et difference. They offered an exchange, but i was ok with them. I didnt have any fitment issues, even with 255/70's. I ended up putting the 25's on the rear and the 30's up front. I will get some pics of the stamps when i get out to socal next month. I think the et30 ones have a vw audi stamp on them too. The et25 ones did not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

jayinduluth wrote:
Hello all - I just picked up 4 two year old 15" gowesty steel wheels and tires that are stamped with ET25 on the outside. As near as I can tell, they are exactly like this -
https://www.gowesty.com/product/wheels/25242/15-inch-steel-wheel-set?v=

FWIW, this is the only mark on the GW wheels at the link above (purchased 4/2020). These are ET25 and I run them with no spacers with 215/75 R15. My van is a '90 with big brakes and you've also figured out the wheel question so not directly relevant but I mention it here for reference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Finally getting around to posting pics.

Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 205/65-R15's on GW 15" alloy wheels (ASA Type Cool. Haven't put many miles on them, but all good so far. Trip to Boundary Waters coming up, so I'll report back on the drive / handling.

[/img]

Will post separately on how I fit the 5th wheel in the clamshell.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

that's an interesting looking tire tread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breakfastofvanagons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 205/65-R15's on GW 15" alloy wheels (ASA Type Cool. Haven't put many miles on them, but all good so far. Trip to Boundary Waters coming up, so I'll report back on the drive / handling.

[/img]

The features of those tires seem ideal for our vans. I have the exact same wheels that you have 15”x7” and contacted 2 separate local Michelin dealers to see if they would install those same Agilis CrossClimate tires on my wheels. They both said the Agilis CC is supposed to fit a wheel 5.5”-6.5” wide and they both recommended strongly against mounting that tire on my wheel and they would NOT do it. How did you convince the technicians at Costco or Les Schwab to go for it on yours?

Does anybody have experience with running this size commercial tire on these wheels and can you comment on problems with the setup? Some tire websites warn the tire can disengage from the rim if the rim is too wide because the sidewall doesn’t flex enough.

It seems the South African vans ran this tire size (205 65r15c) but on steel wheels that are typically 15x6. I already have big brakes and cant fit a 15” steel wheel on my hubs anymore due to caliper clearance issues. This size tire with a low diameter seems like the best way to get the highest RPM output and best MPG out of a stock engine but I don’t want to do anything risky especially with a fully loaded van by mounting tires that are too narrow for the rim. Any thoughts on this?
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

breakfastofvanagons wrote:
Crooked Designer wrote:

The features of those tires seem ideal for our vans. I have the exact same wheels that you have 15”x7” and contacted 2 separate local Michelin dealers to see if they would install those same Agilis CrossClimate tires on my wheels. They both said the Agilis CC is supposed to fit a wheel 5.5”-6.5” wide and they both recommended strongly against mounting that tire on my wheel and they would NOT do it. How did you convince the technicians at Costco or Les Schwab to go for it on yours?

Does anybody have experience with running this size commercial tire on these wheels and can you comment on problems with the setup? Some tire websites warn the tire can disengage from the rim if the rim is too wide because the sidewall doesn’t flex enough.

It seems the South African vans ran this tire size (205 65r15c) but on steel wheels that are typically 15x6. I already have big brakes and cant fit a 15” steel wheel on my hubs anymore due to caliper clearance issues. This size tire with a low diameter seems like the best way to get the highest RPM output and best MPG out of a stock engine but I don’t want to do anything risky especially with a fully loaded van by mounting tires that are too narrow for the rim. Any thoughts on this?

Had it done at Mavis Tire in a suburb of Chicago. Its called 'stretching' by tire techs. you mostly see it on tuners where tires are stretched anywhere from 1-3 inches.. Did say the worst that can happen is that when I'm at the track and powering through a tight corner while making a pass, one could slip off the bead of the rim...

They were not at all concerned about the .5" difference from the recommended, but it did come up. They don't make Agilis in 215s.
breakfastofvanagons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I kept calling around to tire shops and found Big-O tires and Discount Tires would both install the crossclimate on my 15x7 wheels. Then I remembered I had seen on EBay sellers in Germany and Italy selling the Agilis crossclimate in my preferred size 215 65r15 so I looked for Michelin’s website in both Canada and Mexico to see what they offer there. Turns out that the original Michelin Agilis is still alive and well, sold in Canada alongside the crossclimate in size 205 65r15. In Mexico you can still order just the original Agilis in both size 205 but also 215 65r15! Gowesty should import these and sell them instead of selling Kumho tires in 96 load rating. In Mexico they do not seem to sell the crossclimate at all. Im planning on visiting Tijuana soon for bodywork on my van and may buy those tires while I’m there. If I find that you can get that size in the crossclimate edition I will update this post. Here’s Michelin’s website in Mexico: https://www.michelin.com.mx/auto/tyres/michelin-agilis

revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I have a set of 15x7 alloy wheels I plan on putting on my van. Looking at either a 205/70-15 or 195/70-15 tire. I am leaning more towards the 195 tire, to help keep the overall tire size as close to stock as possible, and because I found a few options I like in that size. Is a 195 on a 7 inch wheel OK, or too narrow? A quick google search says 195 is the minimum for a 7 inch wheel, and should be OK. I was just hoping to see if anyone had some real world experience with this size.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
I have a set of 15x7 alloy wheels I plan on putting on my van. Looking at either a 205/70-15 or 195/70-15 tire. I am leaning more towards the 195 tire, to help keep the overall tire size as close to stock as possible, and because I found a few options I like in that size. Is a 195 on a 7 inch wheel OK, or too narrow? A quick google search says 195 is the minimum for a 7 inch wheel, and should be OK. I was just hoping to see if anyone had some real world experience with this size.

Nope. I found the same “guide” or at least a similar one. If I were to do it all over again, I would have called a tire shop first and just asked what size to put on those rims. They’ll say 215 minimum without stretching (which tire mfgs will not support) on a 15x7. I was pushing it at 205. 195 would be 20mm short of minimum recommended width. Stock tires are specified for stock rims. (Not 7” wide.) only advantage would be if you had stock wheels and were looking to upgrade tires. I’d say stick with 215s on 7” wide rims. Only variable would be how tall you want them. I liked 215/65, but many on here will say 75 with a more aggressive tread is their preference. I wouldn’t do 195. Call first before you get too far down the decision making. It can be frustrating because all tires don’t come in all sizes and ratings.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Nope. I found the same “guide” or at least a similar one. If I were to do it all over again, I would have called a tire shop first and just asked what size to put on those rims. They’ll say 215 minimum without stretching (which tire mfgs will not support) on a 15x7. I was pushing it at 205. 195 would be 20mm short of minimum recommended width. Stock tires are specified for stock rims. (Not 7” wide.) only advantage would be if you had stock wheels and were looking to upgrade tires. I’d say stick with 215s on 7” wide rims. Only variable would be how tall you want them. I liked 215/65, but many on here will say 75 with a more aggressive tread is their preference. I wouldn’t do 195. Call first before you get too far down the decision making. It can be frustrating because all tires don’t come in all sizes and ratings.

That is interesting to hear. Not long after I made my post, I realized that the B5 Passat in my driveway has 15" wheels on it, so I went to check the specs on that. Turns out those wheels are 15x7 ET45, and the OE tire size is a 195/65-15. I doubled checked online, and that is indeed the correct OE tire size. And honestly just looking at the tire on the wheel, it doesn't appear "stretched" at all. It looks very normal and fitting. So the tire size I am looking at is almost identical to that Passat tire size, the 70 profile will just have slightly taller sidewall than the 65.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:

That is interesting to hear. Not long after I made my post, I realized that the B5 Passat in my driveway has 15" wheels on it, so I went to check the specs on that. Turns out those wheels are 15x7 ET45, and the OE tire size is a 195/65-15. I doubled checked online, and that is indeed the correct OE tire size. And honestly just looking at the tire on the wheel, it doesn't appear "stretched" at all. It looks very normal and fitting. So the tire size I am looking at is almost identical to that Passat tire size, the 70 profile will just have slightly taller sidewall than the 65.

Sounds good. 195 tread width is 7.68" 205 tread width is 8.07" and 215 is 8.46". Not sure what advantage you get from narrower tires on wider rims that can run wider tires. Also, I'm no tire expert, but calling a tire place and going through the experience was informative.
zonxs7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Hi, (and I hope that I'm posting in the right place)

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my '84 Westy, and am currently running an original pair of 215/75/r15 BFG KOs. I've never driven the van with anything else, but would love to switch to a lighter/smaller tire to get a little more pep out of my stock 1.9 and stock springs (I think, is there anyway to tell? PO wasn't sure).

I was just about to pull the trigger on some 205/70/r15 nokian entyres, but am a little hesitant: I'd love something with a little more AT capability...Nothing fancy, just dirt roads/fire trails. Has anyone used the entyre for similar purposes?

I also happened to come across these tires:

https://www.tires-easy.com/205-70-15/radar-tires/renegade-a-t-5/tirecode/RZD0290

and was wondering if anyone was running them? I've never heard of Radar....but then again I had never heard of Nokian before checking this thread.

I know that AT Geolanders also come in a smaller size, but it seems like the load rating is right on tip of safe, and I tend to run heavy.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...I can't quite believe what a rabbit hole this has been!

Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

the Radar Renegade A/T 5 205/70R15XL 100H look good on paper.
how they function on the road/trails depends.. really on your own experiences.

they are properly rated XL 100.. so they'll hold up the load.
they are smaller than the 215/75/15 which is IMO too tall for a stock 1.9l engine. so will improve driveability and stopping ability.
zonxs7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Thanks! I keep reading about the original entyres seperating...Anyone have any experience with that?

Unfortunately the 2.0's aren't available in 205/70 r15, only 205/65, and I'd hate to lose that much height.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

The 15" Nokian entyres did separate on me--on multiple wheels. It became a critical problem in the middle of a long trip. I ordered Continental Vanco 4 season tires (see my post here) and they have been wonderful.

I just finished a 4500 trip through the mountain west--TX - CO - UT - ID - MT - ND - WY - CO - TX. The tires were great! Lots of washboard road in Utah, and lots of forest service road in Montana. No problems.

kourt
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Just back from Costco to get Michelin AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE 205/65R15 102T LR installed. At first they refused to install them on my 15” Rhein wheels mounted on a syncro westy. After checking the label on the van and load rating, the tech said he would be ok to install but was very hesitant. Then he told me that many customers had returned these tires or complained about the noise, which he said gets worse around 15k miles. I bailed and got refunded $568.54 Back to square one. Anyone with Agilis notice a noise difference from other tires?
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone with Agilis notice a noise difference from other tires?

Never had these tires, but I've had 3 different A/T tires and all were noisy compared to the all season Nokian Entyres I had. It's all relative, is my point. What do you have now? Maybe mildly noisy to you is deafening to someone else.
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I am running Nokian WR C3 205/65R15. I’ve put 25k miles on them and one tire suffered tread delamination during a rough back road climb up over a mountain. Those tires took a pounding on washboards and miles of very rocky jeep trails! These are fairly quiet tires and do very well in snow, ice and rain. I did find a set of these online at Discount Tire Zone in MA. Even the guy at the local Les Schwab suggested that I would save a lot of $$ by ordering online and then bring them in for mount and balance. So that’s what Im doing. [/quote]
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

VikingWagen wrote:
. Anyone with Agilis notice a noise difference from other tires?

Costco does a terrible job informing members of their tire policies.

Per the noise question, in short, no they’re not noisy.

Previous tires were from previous owner and I think they were 4 different types of tires. All all-weather 215/65r15s, but very worn. The Agillis are 205/65r15 and they’re a much nicer ride overall. Feels more firm and the noise difference is not something I even thought about after driving off with them. I’ll let you know after 15k miles if anything changes, but I’m not sure about the physics behind that. The tread is the tread. Maybe there’s a different rubber compound that it wears down to? Drove 1,400 mile trip on them with a loaded camper and two adults and I have zero complaints.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: