Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 412 wagon bright work
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: 1973 412 wagon bright work Reply with quote

Gotta start the restoration somewhere. So let’s start with the body trim. I have all my original pieces but many are dented. Gonna need to replace/repair all the bright work except for the 2 lower fatter rocker strips. I can clean those up. What to do or where to get suggestions are greatly appreciated. This is my mom’s old 412 that she bought in 1975 and now I want to bring it back to it’s former glory. Means all the world to me!
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 wagon bright work Reply with quote

Good luck with the restoration. What condition is your mom's 412 on? is it going to be a mayor restoration? I am in the middle of one right now and would love to learn more about the process. Can you share any pictures?
cheers,
Abel
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 wagon bright work Reply with quote

The good news is the wheels are the most rusted part of the car. It lived it’s life here in the pacific nw so no exposure to nasty winter road salts. Undercarriage is really rust free but as I pull it apart I may find bad stuff. The 412 is dirty from being in storage for at least 15 years...I did not want to wash it So I kept it away from water. Gonna have the wheels blasted and powder coated for starters. Got a real soft spot in my heart for these unique 412’s.
Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 wagon bright work Reply with quote

That looks like a good starting point! That'll clean up fine and you can concentrate on all the stuff that goes bad from sitting. Ask me how I know... Confused Gas tank clean out, hoses, seals, brake master, and so on...I'd concentrate on that, honestly, to keep up your enthusiasm up, once it runs and drives well enough to take out on a casual spin. Maybe you're very experienced and have the drive to complete an extensive resto right out of the gate, though! Very Happy

Last edited by ubercrap on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 wagon bright work Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!
Looks like a nice project, not so rusted out.
Sorry I have no suggestion for the rocker trim but if you need any pieces of the body trim the late Type3 trim (which is still available) has the same profile and can be cut to fit the 412...some tips in this link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658413&highlight=trim+type3

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 wagon bright work Reply with quote

Thanks Lars S. Your help is appreciated!
Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: