Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

First post after in this section. I need some help from the forum. For many years I have been hoarding a complete 4x4 syncro drive train. I am now starting to think about putting it on the road. Maybe a Schwimmwagen replica. I would like to use trailing arm front suspension to keep things reasonably VW. Below is a sketch I made of a possible solution. The basic idea is a steering knuckle fabricated from easy to access parts, to which a micro stub axle set is bolted. Uniballs are used instead of king pins or ball joints. Link pins connect the knuckle to the trailing arms. Shims used to set camber angle.

The biggest drawback would be the need for a custom front beam to achieve the needed separation to avoid castor change through travel. I hope the drawings are clear. Any comments are appreciated. Note: I just estimated the CV joint center position at 2.5". If anyone has the real dimension, that would be helpful.
If this idea is workable, I will figure out steering arm geometry next.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65BAJA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be interesting. In for the results.

I'll finish it!... Some day....
Edit, I started in 2003 and still haven't built a driving Baja. lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, the first issue I see is lack of steering angle. 25* doesn't seem much. I don't know what stock steering angle is, but I think the guys I've talked to building desert cars were getting at least low 30's steering angle on their inside wheel. Also a 1" spherical bearing with 7/8" misalignment spacers might not produce much steering angle either.
Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good comment.
there must be a uniball out there with +25* angle. Probably 3/4 bolt/link pin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

Really old thread but did you ever build this? looking at doing something similar.

thanks
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

Steering angle is your issue, even with high-angle joints I have to run misalignment spacers too and very careful setup to get enough steering lock.

Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

Picking up this post as I am getting back on the project After 5 yrs.
Several years ago I did get the front end fabricated per the above drawings. The key piece is the steering knuckle (see below pic). Uniball joints with misalignment spacers. This allows steering angle of about 40 deg. For reasons I forget (parts fabricated +4yrs ago) we used 3”x3” trailing arms. Custom front beam that is narrowed to provide stock track width with these arms; coil over vs torsion springs.
I now plan to model the suspension after a class 5/1600. Stock arms, torsion leaves/bars. Stock width adjustable beam, but 7.5” separation. Will go with rack and pinion steering. Looking for a mid-‘80’s GM rack now. This provides offset pinion and center load. Anyone have one?
I will most likely seek professional help to make sure castor angle, bump steer, Ackerman angle, etc are addressed.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

Since you are effectively using a ball joint, why would you not use them where they would have the most rotation in the direction where you need the most rotation?

The angle of the trailing arms cannot exceed the angle that the CVs are limited to.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

Yes, this configuration allows max flexibility. I think I will be CV limited in suspension movements and steering articulation. I see a post today on 40 deg 934 CV’s. Might be overkill my needs
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

The point is that you are trying to use the “ball joints” in the direction that they are the least efficient in steering angle but also where the would be weakest.

It really wouldn’t take much force to separate the joint or break it if the steering was at its limits & you struck an obstacle that would force the joint beyond its range of motion an it doesn’t appear that this would be a serviceable joint once it failed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Druck1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments
The application is unconventional. I believe there will be sufficient steering angle, so next up is to perhaps incorporate travel stops so that neither the uni ball nor the cv joint functions as the stop.
I am still working this out and open to other ideas. I would like to retain the vw beam/trailing arm configuration vs go with A arms
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm Reply with quote

someone else manufactured a buggy front knuckle like this using uniballs but it wasnt intended for 4x4.
id think running them like this may not be "optimal" for strength but if you hit something hard enough to shear that uniball, i think that'll be the least of your worries
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: