Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘73 wagon front bumper
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Found a very heavy steel plate inside the front bumper. I never knew about this and the 412 has been in the family since 1975. The rear bumper has no plate. So I am guessing this is a factory install to combat the high front end stance? Has anyone seen this before? It is interesting and maybe a good conversation piece.
Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Intresting!
Never seen that before, my euro spec -73 dont have it, looks factory done.
Dont think its for lowering the front end but a try to tackle the US bumper or safety norms.

This is before 74 when the beefier alu bumpers where introduced on the 412

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

That is a stiffener against deformation from minor accidents.

My car has it. I will have to see if it shows up in the parts book......but my 1972 411 did not have it. I cannot remember how early or late in 1972 that car was made.....but my 1973 two door has it, my 1973 four door had it.

Why do they need it?

Now.....remember that in 1974....they went to the aluminum front bumper...with telescopic gas/oil filled mounts.
This was the latest design of the government mandated "5 mph crash survivability".

The object of the 5 mph crash bumper....was not safety. It was to prevent the car from getting damaged....beyond a specific $ amount. In Other words a simple 5mph fender bender could not total a car. It had to be kept to very minor cosmetic damage.
At one point in time later ....iirc.... there were even dollar amount maximums of damage you could sustain.

I can attest that the earlier steel bumpers with no plate inside.....if someone backed into you...or if contacted them ....had a habit of being not too tough..and too tough....all at the same time.
Wimpy enougn to crush inward in the center.....but tough enough towards the mounts to twist them inward and bend the bumper mount holes in the chassis. And....if the bumper gets dented in enough to contact the body.....lots of damage.

The later steel bumpers with the plate are tougher and sustain less BUMPER damage....ane can take more force....however.....eventually when the force gets high enough.....the force is transferred to the chassis mountjng points and the chassis starts bending.

The 1974 bumpers were revamped to be aluminum.....so during a very minor fender bender.....the cheap outer aluminum bumper starts distorting fast.....but if the energy gets high enough, the gas shock mounts travel inward to a lock point.

So early bumpers on cars in junkyards that have been hit...tend to be pretzels with more chassis damage. The middle years with this stiffener plate....the bumpers seem to be lightly bent....either fixable or serviceable...but we started seeing some defirmation at mount points......and the 1974/75....the bumper would be mangled.....the chassis usually ok....but the shock mounts permanently collapsed. They were one time use.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

So Ray,
Thanks for your wonderful explanation. The curious thing is why no stiffener for the rear bumper? The rear bumper on mine has exactly the damage you describe. Hit right in the middle and has a ever slight bow...not bad and easily repaired. I have a ‘75 Super and the bumpers have no stiffeners. Why not? As I recall beetles never had stiffeners. What makes the 412 so special?
Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Now that I have owned a 412 for two days, I can speak of experience. In the back seat of mine there were two additional bumpers. One of them had a metal pipe inside the bumper. Are overriders normal on the front bumper or just on the back? Walter from BC, Canada

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Walter,
That pipe in your rear bumper is for a trailer hitch. That is not a factory thing...after market install it appears. Bumper overriders were a dealer installed option front and rear which you can see on my 412. Love the color on your car!
Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for the quick response. If you take a real close look at the license plate, you will see it is from Oak Harbour, not too far from Seattle. I have no idea about the history of this car. Bought it on a whim because I drove a 411 when I was 16.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Walter,
These were unloved but well built cars. Was my mom’s car that we bought from Avalon Auto sales (vw dealer) here in Seattle in 1975. I was always impressed by how solidly built it was...not a rattle anywhere! Hopefully you don’t have too much rust in it. Maybe it’s been a NW car for it’s life. Then less likely on the rust. Good luck with her.
Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:
Now that I have owned a 412 for two days, I can speak of experience. In the back seat of mine there were two additional bumpers. One of them had a metal pipe inside the bumper. Are overriders normal on the front bumper or just on the back? Walter from BC, Canada

Interesting!...what year is the 412 you have? I have never seen the pipe version...I am almost wondering if that is a tow bar set up...note the piece/tab welded in the center.....oh...wait....Pepperbilly got it first ! Very Happy

Pepperbilly said:

Quote:
So Ray,
Thanks for your wonderful explanation. The curious thing is why no stiffener for the rear bumper? The rear bumper on mine has exactly the damage you describe. Hit right in the middle and has a ever slight bow...not bad and easily repaired. I have a ‘75 Super and the bumpers have no stiffeners. Why not? As I recall beetles never had stiffeners. What makes the 412 so special?
Bill

Well for one....the type 4 cars were some of the very first "crumple zone" cars. This is why you have to be careful with rust, lowering, cutting, welding and mods. There were sections on the front and back designed to crumple in an accident.

I am not sure how the two functions...'5 mph crash bumper" and crumple zone play together.

But also...does your 75 super have the telescopic bumper shocks? If so...the bumper needs no stiffeners. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Ray,
Yes, my Super has the telescoping bumper shock absorbers. But my question still remains...why would VW put a stiffener in the front bumper but not the rear on my 412? There is alot more to protect in the rear end of this car than in the front, unless we are strictly talking about the passengers.
Bill
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

I dont have much to add here other than a pic of the tow bar that came out of a 411, wery similar to the one above.

Also the 412 was the car in the air cooled series that best could carry extra weight such as reinforced bumper...still mysterious why it did not have it at the back, that makes me believe it was for crash safety reasons more than bumper saving.

/Lars S

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 wagon front bumper Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Ray,
Yes, my Super has the telescoping bumper shock absorbers. But my question still remains...why would VW put a stiffener in the front bumper but not the rear on my 412? There is alot more to protect in the rear end of this car than in the front, unless we are strictly talking about the passengers.
Bill

So on your super and on 412 for 1974.....as noted.....no stiffeners needed as the shocks do that function.

Both bumpers and crumple zones....telescoping/collapsible steering columns etc..... are about passenger safety. By the safety regs as they were written back then.....the bumpers are there to prevent damage to the OTHER safety systems of the car.

And the specs listed 5mph damage prevention in both straight on and angle contact. Manufacturers could use any combination of strengthened bumpers.....or bump stops....or over-riders...or energy absorbing sysytems....along with or in place of stronger or thicker bumpers.

The exact reason why VW did not put strengthening strips in the rear bumpers.....I have never found written reason. And.....just because I have not seen one does not mean they did not.
However......think about the crumple zones and the other collapsing safety systems in these cars.....and where small accident impacts are likely to happen......and this is what I would speculate....

On the 411 and 412.....if you allow the front bumper to be weaker.....and it crushes quickly and contacts the body.....it starts pushing everything rearward. The crumple zone is pretty much the whole front end starting at the line at the forward edge of the fuel tank or just before it. The fuel tank is held in by four puny 6mm screws and is angled to squeeze downward. The subframe is bolted to two composite rails in the chassis that easily collapse to release the subframe so the chassis rides over it.

Once you crush the bumper...and it contacts the front sheet metal and start actually bending the front end.....the deformation that happens pretty much totals the car. Once you start "crumpling" parts of the crumple zone.....its done.

The rear crumple zone......does not start until right at the rear cross member. You can do a whole lot of repairable bending to the rear end before you start the crumpling process.

Crumple zones are about absorbing energy. Again....that opinion is about if the metal reinforcing strip has to do with the safety systems.

Then again.....it may actually be less to to do with the crumple zone at all. Thinking about this:

Why would they bother ro put a pipe in the rear bumper for a hitch? That one is simple. I have never wanted or needed to install a hitch on a type 4 or type 3.....but I have seen the results from those who have.....and had no reinforcment Laughing ......it stretches, bends and mangles the bumper between the two bumper mounting plates.

And........if you have ever had to tow a 411 or 412 by bumper with a chain......even using the towing eye.....you know that its miserable. In reality the towing eye....being on one side with its rear counterpart usually being diagonally opposite.....is mainly there for maneuvering or chaining the car down.

Trying to steer one of these cars while being towed by one off center corner is a PITA. So.....people.....myself included.....while using a chain or tow strap.....commonly wrap it around the center of the bumper and secure it to the tow eye as well. .....just like I did on ky first 411 when I was 16 and had no idea hi1w to keep it running yet. Laughing

And.....it wrecked the bumper on my 1972 411. But......I can attest that the one on my 1973 412 with the strenthening plate.....does not have this issue.

So it might just be to allow towing without trashing the bumper. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: