Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Brazilian Beetle fuse box selection difficulty
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibraajl64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: 1974 Brazilian Beetle fuse box selection difficulty Reply with quote

Greetings gents,

I got an1974 Brazilian beetle in my hand as a restoration project.

as you see in those pics below there is no fuse box right now, and I got confused about which fusebox should I install on it. 8,10 or 12 fuse box, should I go for a single level or double levels. here a couple of fusebox types that I found through the internet. Kindly help me to select one of them or advise me if there is another fusebox I should looking for. I have already added pics of my VW bug project in order to support the explanation.

Single Level Fusebox, 8 Fuse
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Single Level Fusebox, 10 Fuse

Single Level Fusebox, 12 Fuse

Fuse Box, 12 Fuse, 2 Level (With Relay Tower)

my 1974 Brazilian Beetle front trunk view

my 1974 Brazilian Beetle back engine view

thank you
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Brazilian Beetle fuse box selection difficulty Reply with quote

Hi, 1974 was the last year of the 8 fuses box in Brazil, but it seems the box it's there in your first pic? (sorry but the pics are too small & grainy to discerne anything...)
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
ibraajl64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Brazilian Beetle fuse box selection difficulty Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Hi, 1974 was the last year of the 8 fuses box in Brazil, but it seems the box it's there in your first pic? (sorry but the pics are too small & grainy to discerne anything...)

Maybe the fusebox is buried under this nest of patchy wires.

here is a close photo, it may help. Even if the fusebox in there, I want to replace it to get a better connection.

Do you think is better to replace it with a single level 8 fuses box or to upgrade It with another type?

thanks
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Brazilian Beetle fuse box selection difficulty Reply with quote

If the fuse box is there you should be able to see it from inside the cabin. An 8-fuse box should be below the cables in your pic. If the car is wired for 8 fuses IMHO there is no need to change the box unless you want to add more circuits such as amps, etc.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
ibraajl64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Brazilian Beetle fuse box selection difficulty Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
If the fuse box is there you should be able to see it from inside the cabin. An 8-fuse box should be below the cables in your pic. If the car is wired for 8 fuses IMHO there is no need to change the box unless you want to add more circuits such as amps, etc.

Thank you, that was helpful information.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Brazilian Beetle fuse box selection difficulty Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

This is the question you need to answer. If you only plan to make use of the existing wiring, the easiest solution is to get a fuse box to replace the one the car came with. Even if you don't have a fuse box under all that wiring you could measure the width of the fuse box opening and someone can confirm if that matches an 8, 10, or 12-fuse width.

Also, what wiring diagram are you planning to follow? This will dictate more than anything else which fuse box you need to use. No use buying an 8-fuse box when you plan on using a 12-fuse wiring diagram. You could choose to use a fuse box with more fuses, but you still need to answer the question which wiring diagram you plan to use as it will dictate how many fuses the fuse box will need.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: