Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8t with stock 4 speed question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

Hi

I am considering installing a 1.8t and getting my current 4sp rebuilt at the same time and also installing a Peloquin.

Stephan has said that this setup works fine with the motor. I like that and wanted to hear what other owners with this setup think and any suggestions.

The person doing the tranny recommends a .82 final drive ratio

Also any suggestions on a good place to get the Peloquin and final drive?

Thanks
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

You should state what size tire you plan to run.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

I run 205/65/15's

Trying to keep the to the original diameter so I can fit int he garage.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

Stephan did my 1.8T, and we followed his recommendation for a higher 4th gear. No issues, we run 215/65/16s. Also, if you're reaching out to them, can you ask them who they use for the TBD install? I'd like to also add one to mine and haven't gotten around to it!
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

I will ask him. I'm planning to use Porters Precision for the tranny. He's really close to me and does work for many VW shops in the area as well from the Bay Area.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
I will ask him. I'm planning to use Porters Precision for the tranny. He's really close to me and does work for many VW shops in the area as well from the Bay Area.

I wonder if that's who Stephan uses too. Because when ours was in I know the trans was sub'd out to another shop for the gearing. Anyways, good luck. Are you supplying the Peloquin or just letting Porters do all the work? Shoot me a PM on the price for install once it's done!
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

I'll do that I'm not sure at this point what I will do, still working out the details, but GW sells it for 1400. Seems high so I'd like to see what else is out there and have contacted Peloquin.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

I have a Stock ratio box with a 1.8T, it works out fine. A slightly taller 4th is not unreasonable, but ultimately it will depend on the size tire you want to run. I am running 215/75/15s, the van works nicely with this set up and has great power, and I cruise at 70mph and 3900 RPM, generally getting around 18 mpg. The van/engine/exhaust combo does have a resonant frequency between 3400 and 3600 rpm (65mph), so I would suggest you avoid any gearing that will leave it in that range at whatever highway speed you are seeking. If you think you will end up with larger tires than what I am running I would suggest NOT changing the gearing. Another consideration is van weight and how much abuse you are willing to throw at the transmission. (I have a syncro, tranny is to be protected) Big power, coupled with big gearing, big speed and big tires and something is going to break or wear out. Like life, its all a series of priorities and compromises Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. When running at 3900 are you getting close to the end of the “good” RPM range for the 1.8? Is the tach ranges on the stock cluster still applicable?

Mines not a synchro and the driving is mostly just plain vanilla. Got the usual goodies that add to the weight current engine seems to be fine with it.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

No, 3900 is just where everything smooths out and feels right, I should mention it is 70 indicated but with the larger tires it is probably closer to 75 actual mph. The engine seems fine reving higher, and I have used 5000 rpm for 5-10 minutes at a time in third gear to pull up steep highway grades, The redline is close to 7000. They are incredibly tough little engines. In a perfect world there would be one more gear, but after awhile you just get used to the highway revs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

the 1.8T doesn't mind higher RPMS and will be fine with any gearing really.

I blew 4th gear in my trans 5 hours from home
I came home in 5.5hrs in 3rd gear on the interstate... that was ~60mph back instead of 70mph but 5hrs @ ~4500-5000rpms..
it's fine.. boost responds to 'load' not RPMs as much..
boost costs fuel makes heat. so if you put too tall of a gearing/tire combo then it'll be in 'load' and boosted stage easier and more often..

I prefer to keep the RPMs up vs loading the engine and staying in boost too much or constant
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
holocenevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

I have a SAH kit in my 89 Wolfsburg. I had the trans rebuilt by Rancho, with stock gearing, a 4.86 and a Peloquin. 215/75-15 tires. Like the other posters have said a longer 4th would be fine in some situations but the 1.8T doesn’t mind much of anything you ask of it. Yes the green band on the stock tach is accurate, the torque builds noticeably at 2000. The difference is that one can wind it to the rev limiter if you’re in the mood, and it likes it. I will put larger tires on soon. I’m sure it will still rally Ophir Pass up from the Ophir side. Hope this helps.
skyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

I'm in the process of the conversion, transaxle is currenlty being rebuilt. I have a syncro westy, will be running 215/75/15 tires and a 4.86 r&p. All my math pointed to a 1.17 3rd and a .78 4th. A few said that would be really good, a majority said don't do it. I called GTA to get gt gears, and after talking with them they really suggest staying stock or .82 4th, so I bought heavy duty stock 3rd ratio and a .82 4th. You can give GTA a call and they can run your setup and recommend gearing to fit your vehicle and driving habits.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

I installed the 1.8t kit from Stephans....best thing ever! I have stock gearing, which is fine. I run it up and down the freeway (up to Tahoe, down to the Bay Area) cruising at 80mph. She purrs. I have no experience with different gearing BUT I wouldnt mind seeing if it made a big difference. Good luck and see you out on the road up in Folsom or Sacramento area!

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
djsixbillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

Another happy 1.8T driver here - I installed the kit from SAH, and had my Syncro trans gone through by Porter's as well (this is the shop SAH uses). I kept the stock gearing and have no real complaints, but if I had to do it over again would probably go with a higher 4th gear. The engine certainly doesn't mind revving high at all, but the overall driving experience (NVH) for long distance cruising would, I think, be improved. Running 215/75/15 tires, for what it's worth.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I prefer to keep the RPMs up vs loading the engine and staying in boost too much or constant

Ditto - it just feels better too.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Do you just drive around in fourth gear, then? I'm assuming an 012 trans would drop the rpms down significantly in fifth.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Do you just drive around in fourth gear, then? I'm assuming an 012 trans would drop the rpms down significantly in fifth.

If I’m driving 50mph, absolutely. At 62mph or so, I shift between 4th and 5th on inclines, mostly for the reason above; I have 27” tires.
Besides gearing, terrain and tire diameter, one’s cruising speed is a huge overlooked factor.

I read posts about people driving their vans @ 80-85, which I think is nuts (but if I lived in South Dakota, I might have had a different view), so compared to a 62mph cruiser the optimum gearing for an identical drivetrain changes. Well, IMHO.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

The speed limit where I live is 70mph, so those speeds aren't just theoretical. 85mph is really pushing it in any T3 due to unfavorable aerodynamics, but I've certainly done it back when I had the WBX. Even though our T4 is the go-to rig for road trips (for soooo many reasons), my requirements for T3 gearing is that it should be able to cruise comfortably @ 73-75mph without sounding like it needs to upshift. Any engine/trans combo that can't deliver on that requirement is unsatisfactory.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8t with stock 4 speed question Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
my requirements for T3 gearing is that it should be able to cruise comfortably @ 73-75mph without sounding like it needs to upshift. Any engine/trans combo that can't deliver on that requirement is unsatisfactory.

@ 73-75, I can leave it in 5th, no problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: