Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Hello,

I am working on a 73 VW thing with stock 1600.

Following parts have been replaced and are new

Fuel pump
Plugs
Wires
Pertronix electronic SVDA distributor
EMPI 34pic3 carb

So I have to motor timed to 7.5 BTC Running a Main 130 Idle Jet 60 Idle is around 870-900.

I am not sure if what I am about to mention is even a issue for the thing.

So first I will mention the engine is idling great hit the throttle no flat spots.

When I start off and shift through the gears all the gears feel great, This is the possible issue when I let off in 2nd or 3rd gear then hit the throttle again the vehicle will feel slightly sluggish at lower RPM and feels a lot better as the RPM's build.

I am starting to think this is how the thing is geared because I have tried the following option.

127.5 main with 55 idle
127.5 main with 60 idle
130 main with 55 idle
130 main with 60 idle

130 main with 60 idle seems to be the best option but all of the above option pretty have the same symptoms as I mentioned. This is why I think is is how the thing is geared.

I have a bug that doesn't act like that but those transaxles have a different gear ratio.

Any thoughts from anyone? Is an issue that I should look deeper into? If so any solutions?
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

You might check your timing dynamically and follow the procedure for the SVDA, rather than a static setting, before messing with carburetor jets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
You might check your timing dynamically and follow the procedure for the SVDA, rather than a static setting, before messing with carburetor jets.

Timing has been set to 7.5BTC with timing light with advance.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Post a photo of your engine.

What is the total advance set at with the vac line disconnected an plugged at the carb?
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

What is the total advance set at with the vac line disconnected an plugged at the carb?

I can’t remember off the top of my head. I will double check. When I hooked the vacuum line back up to check to see what the advance was doing with the vacuum line it was right around 30.
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

30* max timing with no vacuum line hooked up
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Also seems to do the symptoms above when I let off in 2nd or 3rd and try to do WOT. If I do partial throttle it won’t do it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Got any prior history we should know? Why did you replace the carb? These rigs were pretty pathetic when new, mine runs way better with a worn out rebuild than my first one ran from the showroom floor.
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Got any prior history we should know? Why did you replace the carb? These rigs were pretty pathetic when new, mine runs way better with a worn out rebuild than my first one ran from the showroom floor.

The old carb was worn and was rebuilt once. The accelerator pump started acting up and it would spit the idle jet out on its own. So it was time for it to be replaced. I definitely notice a performance increase in the new carb. I just don’t like the way it acts in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

You may try a little more advance like 32deg BTDC with vacuum plugged. Last time you adjusted your valves?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

I believe some if not all of the original engines were low compression, dished pistons.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
You may try a little more advance like 32deg BTDC with vacuum plugged. Last time you adjusted your valves?

Valve were just adjusted to .006 and yeah I might add a little more timing and see what happens.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Maybe go with 132.5 main jets and see if the power picks up. I wouldn't go outside of the recommended timing range.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Do you have the same carburetor and distributor in your bug? If not, try swapping the bug distributor into the thing.

I used an aftermarket SVDA distributor for a while and the advance curves must have been different from that of Bosch distributors because it produced noticeably less torque at low rpm than my Bosch DVDA.

Gearing will affect the torque across the rpm range, not only at low rpm.
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Do you have the same carburetor and distributor in your bug? If not, try swapping the bug distributor into the thing.

I used an aftermarket SVDA distributor for a while and the advance curves must have been different from that of Bosch distributors because it produced noticeably less torque at low rpm than my Bosch DVDA.

Gearing will affect the torque across the rpm range, not only at low rpm.

Yes same exact setup on the other vehicle.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

I have a stock 1600 DP AM022708 case with a Solex 34PICT3 and a DVDA,
timed to 5*ATDC with vacuum hoses on. Runs good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Thing stock 1600 sluggish or gearing Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
I have a stock 1600 DP AM022708 case with a Solex 34PICT3 and a DVDA,
timed to 5*ATDC with vacuum hoses on. Runs good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The problem with setting the timing at idle to the book specs is that it will not work well unless both the fuel system and ignition system are stock and work like they did when they left the factory 45+ years ago. I have retimed dozens of engines over the years that were timed to stock specs and put out little power because there was a mismatch of parts or something had failed in the distributor. Timing them at full mechanical advance will typically get them running much better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: