Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

Hi Diesel Folks

I'm trying to get my Vancouver Diesel started, and think that I have isolated the problem.... Or at the very least, THIS is part of the problem and I don't know what to do about it.

The cable from the solenoid to the starter is toast. Any suggestions on what to do? I still seems to be well attached to the starter, but that cable came unattached to that "L" shaped connector piece which attaches it to the solenoid.

Thanks
Ed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

Are you talking about the plastic covered female spade connector that fires the solenoid? Yeah that pops off if its not secured. I have a spring that applies tension and keeps it on. For me it has popped of at the most inopportune times and then you can’t crank.

Oh now I see what you mean, the braided copper cable into the motor. Did it break off?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

Oh now I see what you mean, the braided copper cable into the motor. Did it break off?

Yeah... that one. It was just hanging by a thread, and when I went to remove it it broke off.... so I guess the only way to fix it is to remove the starter, and then solder that braded cable back to it's "L"-shaped connector... and bolt it back on?

Could be quite a trick to solder that big cable..... anyone have any tricks?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

I hate to say it but it seems likely you will need a new starter sometime soon anyway. I recommend scrapping that big old thing and installing the new improved model SR28X starter featuring gear reduction. It will spin faster, pull less power and be easier on your flywheel. Plus, because it is smaller and lighter, it will be way easier to install and remove.

Chances are that copper braid is corroded away and I don’t know what it attaches onto but you could be wasting your time. Sure you could take it out and go to all the trouble but I wouldn’t bother with that old boat anchor.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

I hear ya... Thanks for the recommendation (SR28X starter)... looking for one, but can't seem to locate here in Canada. Amazon out of stock.

The braded wire looks OK, but zooming in on the fotos looks like it is also starting to pull off slightly from it's connection to the motor... ...if I attempt a solder repair perhaps I will need to solder a little bit on that end too.

I am only here in Vancouver for another 10 days so there is no hurry to locate a new starter since I won't be back again until next year... HOWEVER, my goal right now is at least to START UP the van at least once while I am here. I have not started her up since last year, and seems not a good idea to leave it ANOTHER year without starting up.

So I will keep looking for a new starter, but also attempt a ghetto-fix on this one at least in the hopes of starting up the van.

I am aware that this is a HIGH VOLTAGE un-fused wire that must be heavily shielded against contact with anything else.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

Looks like you could crimp a heavy duty eyelet on the solenoid end and reattach for now. Would be easier with the starter on the bench.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Looks like you could crimp a heavy duty eyelet on the solenoid end and reattach for now. Would be easier with the starter on the bench.

Thanks for the inspiration Mark... I think I'll give that a try. Part of the problem is that I don't have so many tools here in Vancouver --- I'll attempt to remove the starter with what I have here - and probably have to buy some more tools...
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

Alternative idea: Buy a TDI adapter from T3Technique and then get a TDI starter from the junk yard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

...so as I said, I really wanted to get Toni running a bit before I head back to Europe.
So I managed to pull the starter and do the ghetto fix with some hardware things I found in my mom's basement here.... and.... it worked!!!!

I think this starter itself is still pretty OK, but that braided cable will not last so much longer... it is very compromised where it attaches to the motor. I would ultimately just like to completely REPLACE that braided cable > I wonder how that could be done.

T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

Well done Ed,

look for Bosch 1 004 336 621. I never had luck trying to solder that corroded cable.
The brushes may be replaced anyway.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
Well done Ed,

look for Bosch 1 004 336 621. I never had luck trying to solder that corroded cable.
The brushes may be replaced anyway.

Thanks Max Smile
I'm quite surprised myself that it works.... now sure for how long however. I'll definitely be on the look out for a new starter... but might also attempt to completely replace that corroded cable. Maybe it is possible to open it all up and replace the cable completely from the inside?
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=Bosch+1+004+336+621

Laughing
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

It seems a bit of a weird design to have that uninsulated conductor exposed like that in the first place.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: fixing starter solenoid cable (1,6 D NA) Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=Bosch+1+004+336+621

Laughing

Aha Max!
Great! ...sorry I didn't looke up Bosch 1 004 336 621... I was assuming this would be a complete starter.

But this bushing holder look like the most reliable and affordable way to cure this problem. Also it is something small and light enough I could take with handluggage with me from Europe next time.

Thanks for the tip!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: