Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trentb512
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

Hi all! I recently pulled a TDI from a 2002 jetta to transplant into the 84 2wd westy (going eTDI), and the transmission seems to be my main concern. I have a spare transmission which I look to rebuild over the winter in conjunction with building a wiring harness and going through the engine. Transplant happening spring 2021. I contacted Weddle and they sent me a quote for a nice long list of parts to do the rebuild. The quote included SA oiling plates, Peloquins LSD, and all the other parts and pieces Sean thought I might need for this application.

EDIT: Looking to be on BFG 215/65-16 tires after the conversion, so that I can hit some of the backroads in the far north where I live. Also planning on using GT gears Straight cut 3 & 4th gears now.

What I am hoping for from this post is to hear experiences from those of you that have rebuilt for this application, so I can make sure I do everything I can to ensure maximum enjoyment! There does not seem to be a topic anywhere that combines everyones experiences all into one. I am looking forward to hearing from everyone! TIA Popcorn

Last edited by trentb512 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

You should post your tire size and the gearing you're planning to use. That way folks can chime in with their experiences relative to the gearing you're proposing.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

Here is my experience doing basically the exact same thing. My parts list is on page 5. There is also some discussion in the first few pages about the gearing which R/P to get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

I ran a stock 4.57 aircooled transaxle for a year. Not tall enough for me. Current is a 4.14 ring and pinion and a .77 4th.

It ended up being a little too tall for outside FL. Had to go to slightly larger nozzles. Perfect now.

When I have it apart next time, I’ll get the 4th gear from GT if Gears is still selling them, but same ratio. It’s a straight cut gear and should be better for that part of the trans.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

If I were to recommend only one part for a TDi trans, it would be a straight-cut 4th gear

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

Could you elaborate as to why Gears?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

This previous thread explains why straight-cut is a good idea ..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735665
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

Makes sense, excellent contribution!
trentb512
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You should post your tire size and the gearing you're planning to use. That way folks can chime in with their experiences relative to the gearing you're proposing.

I haven't pulled the transmission apart to know what the R&P is, but I am guessing it will likely need to be changed, and Weddle quoted me for a 1.18 3rd and a .75 4th. Not sure if those are ideal or not, which is why I am doing some digging! Tire size is yet to be determined, but I have 16" wheels, and trying to find a bigger tire that is available in Canada... Also open to suggestions on the size! I will update my first post with the gearing and wheel info!

old_man wrote:
Here is my experience doing basically the exact same thing. My parts list is on page 5. There is also some discussion in the first few pages about the gearing which R/P to get.

Good post, I will have to re-read and take some notes!

gears wrote:
If I were to recommend only one part for a TDi trans, it would be a straight-cut 4th gear

I read your post about this - Once I decide on the gearing, I will have to get in touch to order a 4th gear from you! (assuming you are the man to talk to about buying the straight cut 4th gear by GT?)
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

gears wrote:

any value, or even availability?, for straight cut 3rd as well?
seems like for pulling longer passes that could be advantageous, obviously nowhere near the time spent in 4th but if its not a huge noise penalty why not

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

I'm just in the process of getting my transaxle rebuilt.

I went with:
4.86 R&P
1.14 third
0.75 fourth

I was running a 0.70 but I also run BFG's and found that to be too tall.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

All the gears in my racecar are square cut gears. Even with ear protection my ears ring for a day or two. Not from the engine, but the high pitch scream of the gears.

I understand this particular 4th gear is said to be quiet as a helical gear. I can hear my Weddle 4th gear now. It’s most noticeable on and off load. The thread linked above describes what the weakness of the vanagon 4 th gear is. I posted
a picture of my mainshaft bearing that 4th rides against in the gallery.

Third gear doesn’t have the same issue as 4th mainly because it floats in the open compared to 4th. So you could do a square cut 3rd and it would be an improved design, but remember gears are in pairs and are always meshed selected or idling. So, it could end up being a louder box and it’s not easy to revert.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI Manual Transmission Rebuild -> 84 2wd transplant Reply with quote

I am having Matt Steedle rebuild my transaxle for a TDI right now.

Im opting for straight cut gears in 3rd and 4th. Gears got a new design there where you have more points of contact gear to gear.
I asked Matt to get them, and when he got em, was so impressed that he bought a set for his personal rig.

Heres a google sheet for transaxle ratio/gearing numbers. It REALLY helped me gauge target RPM based on torque from the engine and translate that to time to shift and all that based on my wheel diameter:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12JGKCch4IlYBd82Se4meeJyEWiFunUgWUGWpDiGutP0/edit?usp=sharing

feel free to make a copy and whatever. Seems that this was around the forum here in excel format for a while and I tossed on sheets for manageability.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: