Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust in Front Trunk
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Rust in Front Trunk Reply with quote

I came across a 1973 412 sitting in a field that was exactly the color of the 411 our family had in 1972. So I stopped in the next day and bought it for $2000 CDN ($1500 USD). Picked it up yesterday and have started into a full inspection. Thanks to this forum, I was able to open the front hood by reaching through the right headlights and found the following. Anyone have some advice regarding all the rust below the driver's side shock? Is it repairable or is this going to be a parts car?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in Front Trunk Reply with quote

You need to pull the focus back o those photographs so we can see exactly where they are in relation to everything...so distance should be somewhere between your first photo and the last two. And peel back the trunk liner a bit.

I would say though....that all of that area to include the spare tire well and kind up up that vertical wall....is less structural. Its actually part of the accident crumple zone....so you could ptach it and tack weld in sheet metal and cover it up with no problems. However.... If it goes down underneath and includes any of the three areas where the subframe bolts onto the chassis...or is at the top where the struts mount...its a bigger issue We also need pictures from underneath. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in Front Trunk Reply with quote

Hello Ray. Had a little bit more time to pull apart the front trunk material as it's Canadian Thanksgiving. Hopefully the following pictures will help. The hole is now bigger than before as I kept poking it. See what you think.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in Front Trunk Reply with quote

NurseryWalt wrote:
Hello Ray. Had a little bit more time to pull apart the front trunk material as it's Canadian Thanksgiving. Hopefully the following pictures will help. The hole is now bigger than before as I kept poking it. See what you think.

That damage...my new type 4 driving friend...is directly caused by the brake fluid reservoir or hoses...leaking and running down into that area. You can follow the trail of removed paint all the way down the firewall.

But...its fixable. Its probably one of the few places that even a novice welder like me can fix.

Literally you can cut a sheet metal plate the same shape as that whole area....strip away the rust to bare metal....and tack weld it in from either the top or bottom....or both.....then cover it with carpet. Perfect?...no....but no one will ever see it either.

OK....you also need to get down under the dahs and make sure that thee fluid has not leaked down the wall or onto that upper deck.

Most importantly....look under the car. There is a larger black T-shaped subframe that is held to the chassis by three big bolts. This is your suspension subframe. You need to look at the area surrounding the left hand side bolt which bolt up near there. Poke at the undercoating. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust in Front Trunk Reply with quote

Thanks Ray for spotting that. I was thinking about a piece of sheet metal as well. On my '66 Bug, everything had to be perfect, but this 412 will be harder to find parts. Even for BC Collector plates, they do not require the carpets to be pulled up for the photos, since they were originally glued down anyway. I will keep investigating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: