Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Antenna "Shaft" Grommet
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source on where to buy these grommets? I'm looking for the round one that is in the headlight area, not the angled one that comes on new antennas

I seem to have misplaced mine during an antenna replacement. Embarassed
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Was anyone ever able to source this grommet? I need one too.

DirtyBlueVan wrote:
Does anyone have a source on where to buy these grommets? I'm looking for the round one that is in the headlight area, not the angled one that comes on new antennas

I seem to have misplaced mine during an antenna replacement. Embarassed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Why bother? This isn't a 12v wire and so no possible fire damage or to the ECU. I'd just put a few turns of tape around the wire where it passes through the tin and call it close enough. Easy to do if you pull the base and tape it outside before reinstalling. If you are worried about cold air coming in, wipe a little silicone caulk around afterwards. That cold air would represent 10 to the minus 13 in terms of the total heat loss. All that glass and little insulation? Not a biggie. I have several holes where relayed light wires and the front lighted Christmas wreath wires ago through and have never noticed anything.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

I understand your point but this isn't a grommet for the wire. It's for the antenna shaft. For me it would be simpler if I could find the grommet.

DuncanS wrote:
Why bother? This isn't a 12v wire and so no possible fire damage or to the ECU. I'd just put a few turns of tape around the wire where it passes through the tin and call it close enough. Easy to do if you pull the base and tape it outside before reinstalling. If you are worried about cold air coming in, wipe a little silicone caulk around afterwards. That cold air would represent 10 to the minus 13 in terms of the total heat loss. All that glass and little insulation? Not a biggie. I have several holes where relayed light wires and the front lighted Christmas wreath wires ago through and have never noticed anything.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Take some measurements and head to your local hardware store. They likely have an assortment of rubber grommets.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I'll probably end up doing just that. There's an Ace Hardware in town that has a good assortment of odds and ends like that.

I'm a lazy ass though and would rather point and click and have GoWesty or VanCafe or one of the other vendors send it to my front door!

MarkWard wrote:
Take some measurements and head to your local hardware store. They likely have an assortment of rubber grommets.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Me too. McMaster Carr if you make the measurements. Point and click.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Sorry, Leo. I assumed you had the one piece whip which mounts to the body tin and has nothing below except the wire. I tried a retractable angela once, but it quickly got bent and so tossed it out and went back to the OG style.

Does anyone know if you can get the modern glass mounted grids which can be used in an aftermarket application?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Chris @ Uniwerks can make you a antenna delete plug for the hole.
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/vw-vanagon/

Then you could put one of these behind the grill:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV9555Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

Get out your calipers and measure the old grommet (if you have it) and the hole. Take your measurements with you to your local full service (not big box) hardware store. In the electrical department you should find drawers of small electrical parts including rubber grommets and bushings. Buy the one that you need for pennies on the dollar compared with the aftermarket ones from the usual suspects.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna "Shaft" Grommet Reply with quote

^ Ace hardware if you have one nearby. And while you're there, you may as well buy 2 of every single o-ring they have as well. They're cheap and it's handy to keep a stock of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: