Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

RawUmber wrote:

As MarkWard suggested, your module likely has a problem. If you want to chase it down, remove your module again and try ohm metering from the ground pin (the one that goes to the screw ring tab) to the other pins/brushes. You'll probably find one of the pins is measuring <1Kohm while the other is much higher (Mohm).

By "module" do you mean the voltage regulator? OK I will remove it again, and test for OHMs. I guess if I find a definite problem with it, then there is a good chance that it is only the V.reg. that needs replacing.

First off.... is the ALT supposed to be grounded to engine block? I don't notice any wire coming from the ALT to the engine block, or to the NEG BATT terminal.... is this normal?

Next... here are some fotos of what is happening under that ugly black tape. The whole plug seems pretty oily... I did my best to clean it up > reinstall, but still no BATT LIGHT at dash. And V.Reg is still heating up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

The alternator grounds through the case to the block. No problem on a diesel to add a ground between the battery and alternator case.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The alternator grounds through the case to the block. No problem on a diesel to add a ground between the battery and alternator case.

Mounting bolts are rusty, but I hooked up a wire from the ALT case to the NEG BATT terminal, and not change Sad

I'm stumped.

Must be a bad V.REG.... at least.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone...
I am back in Czech and preparing to return to Vancouver and to fix my ALTERNATOR.

I check with my local parts guy who says that he can get a spare VOLTAGE REGULATOR, but he says that the ALTERNATOR should be 65v, but there are also VOLT.REG.s for 45v and 90v ALTERNATORS.

What do you guys think?? Should I just go for the 65V ??
Does anyone have a part number?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

Ed, I think they mean 65A, as in 65 Amps, not 65 Volts.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Ed, I think they mean 65A, as in 65 Amps, not 65 Volts.

YES! ....my mistake.

I'm probably just going to buy the 65A version since everyone says this is the most common. Let's hope it is correct and solves the problem. Shocked
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

For the Vlatage Reg. for a 65a ALT. my parts guy says there are two possibilites, and gave me two part numbers.
I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference and which one I should order?
068903803D
070903803A

Thanks
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

The VW part numbers have some meaning.
The first 3 digits tell what family the part was FIRST used on.
070 is an aircooled number.
068 is an early diesel number.

Your 82 diesel should use the diesel part but people have been known to switch alternators around in a pinch. Some 82 diesels have Motorola alternators.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The VW part numbers have some meaning.
The first 3 digits tell what family the part was FIRST used on.
070 is an aircooled number.
068 is an early diesel number.

Your 82 diesel should use the diesel part but people have been known to switch alternators around in a pinch. Some 82 diesels have Motorola alternators.

Mark

Thanks Mark.
Zoltan figured out that the 068 volt reg., shuts off charging to the battery at 14.7v, and the other one at 14.1v.

I ordered the 068 one. I hope it works, and there is not a deeper problem with the ALT..
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

The voltage regulator attempts to hold a constant alternator voltage at all times.
Nominal from VW is 14 volts for our alternators, like it says on the factory label if still present on an alternator.

Zoltan has it wrong. You can buy aftermarket regulators with different voltage set points but 14.1 is typical.

The VW part number means something for VW parts but with aftermarket parts is merely indicates it can be used as a close enough substitute for that VW part.

https://www.justkampers.com/us/068-903-803-d-volta...-1996.html

Mark
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The voltage regulator attempts to hold a constant alternator voltage at all times.
Nominal from VW is 14 volts for our alternators, like it says on the factory label if still present on an alternator.

Zoltan has it wrong. You can buy aftermarket regulators with different voltage set points but 14.1 is typical.

The VW part number means something for VW parts but with aftermarket parts is merely indicates it can be used as a close enough substitute for that VW part.

https://www.justkampers.com/us/068-903-803-d-volta...-1996.html

Mark

Checking the partnrs on aftermarket catalogs, the only difference was the regulated voltage where it was listed.
Otherwise they were all the same but the partnrs were not interchangeable.

Since that I also checked the partnrs in Bosch esitronic

070903803A has Bosch equivalent partnr 1 197 311 001 or 1 197 311 090 which regulates at 14.0V and has -7 mV/°K temp. coeff.

068903803D has bosch partnr 1 197 311 028 which regulates at 14.5V and has -10 mV/°K temp. coeff.

They are both marked as 14V nominal voltage and has EL 14V-4C/HR6 type formula
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

Lots of other aftermarket companies make various voltage set point regulators with the same VW part number application.
You are only looking at Bosch catalog specs for what THEY later decided to sell under the VW application number.

Ed said you told him 14.7v which is too high. Leaving aside the misleading info about the voltage set points, you may have missed the detail that the early alternators have a different size and regulators are made to match.

The 070 part fits 32mm slip ring
The 068 fits 28mm slip ring

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6D alternator not charging - batt. light on dash not lighting. Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I made it back to Vancouver all in one piece.... Smile

Just went out to replace that volt.reg. on the ALT, and the van started up instantly... BUT STILL THE BATTERY LIGHT WILL NOT COME ON WITH "KEY-ON".
However with the engine running the battery voltages goes up to 14.3V so obviously that means that the battery is now charging- so that means the ALT. is still good. Smile

But I am still wondering why the batt.light is not coming ON with "KEY-ON".
But...... there is a lot of corrosion on the bolt which holds the alt. to the engine - I am suspecting that maybe this is causing a grounding issue.

So next step I guess is to clean up all of these still rusty connection.

PS - Just checked again after 20min.
The same problem is still occurring - which is that the VOLT.REG. is heating up with the battery connected. And this is draining the battery.

So with the new VOLT.REG. the ALT is now properly charging the battery, but still there is some sort of short or something which is causing the volt.reg. to drain battery energy and heat up.

I don't understand this... if the ALT is now charging the battery then maybe the ALT is still good - maybe the problem is elsewhere?

Could it be that the rusty housing bolts are preventing grounding and causing this "short"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: