Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

Folks,
My van came to me missing most of the carpet and what it did have is thin flimsy junk.
87 weekender

I have heard that NONE of the aftermarket carpet kits are as good as OEM.

Is that true? Am I better of getting use orig. carpet, or is there an aftermarket one that is as good?

If you found OEM quality what was it and where?
thanks,
Nick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

I truly don't think you'll be able to find new OEM carpets, these vans are 30+ years old (you'll only be able to find used/worn-out OEM).

When I got my van (fully Westy) I replaced all the worn-out OEM carpets for Sewfine carpets and they're still looking great after 10 yrs.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

Years ago I replaced 100% of the carpet in my '87. I bought wool industrial low cut pile. Not cheap, but wears like iron. I made paper patterns and cut the carpet an inch oversize. Then I took all the pieces to the laundromat and washed them twice in the biggest commercial machine they had on the hottest setting. This took the sizing out of the backing and I was easily able to mold the carpet over the wheel wells in a single piece. The front piece on the floor was one piece also, but I needed two triangles where the footwell rises at the shifter platform. I used iron on carpet tape for this and the seam was almost invisible. I also eliminated the seam and rubber piece that goes across between the forward end of the seat pedestals. It was far better than any after market job I have seen and lasted until rust ate my lovely. Am about to do the same thing again on my '91 and have no qualms about tackling it. I had no previous carpet skills or knowledge except that washed carpet gets really floppy and formable. Carpet adhesive will hold it firmly in place so only use it where needed as it is very hard to remove if completely glued down.

D
swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I truly don't think you'll be able to find new OEM carpets, these vans are 30+ years old (you'll only be able to find used/worn-out OEM).

When I got my van (fully Westy) I replaced all the worn-out OEM carpets for Sewfine carpets and they're still looking great after 10 yrs.

Yes, I was thinking of used carpet in decent condition.

I'm considering SewFine for the interior, so thats a good option.

DuncanS wrote:
Years ago I replaced 100% of the carpet in my '87. I bought wool industrial low cut pile. Not cheap, but wears like iron. I made paper patterns and cut the carpet an inch oversize. ...snip ... Am about to do the same thing again on my '91 and have no qualms about tackling it. I had no previous carpet skills or knowledge except that washed carpet gets really floppy and formable. Carpet adhesive will hold it firmly in place so only use it where needed as it is very hard to remove if completely glued down.

D

I'd love to see some photos of this! Sounds cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

I've been looking for a replacement carpet for some time. I'm not crazy about the seams on the flat Sew-Fine carpet. Newton also makes a carpet for the Vanagon and OzzieJo posted his install and it looks good to me. It's molded and has three fewer pieces than the Sew Fine (technically two but thatks because Newton counts ne small piece).

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/t25/_carpets

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9460396#9460396
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still don't have any actual experience with these kits.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

I did a full interior panel set, front and rear seat covers and new front seat cushions with Sewfine about 5 years ago. It was all high quality work. I still have the panels in my current van but sold the seats. They do have a "squareweave" carpet kit option but the price is much higher. I had a sample of the squareweave material and I'd say its much thicker than their cutpile material.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

OzzieJo did a really nice install of that Newton kit. I think that kit looks the best out of the aftermarket ones ive seen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

I asked my wife if she would help me shag the Van , I mean, Bus , and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

Sorry, no pics as this was at least 25 years and 3 or 4 T3's ago. Might be some 35mm slides in the three full liquor boxes in the attic. Read unobtainable. But it was not a huge deal. I think it took a weekend, and made a giant difference. Well worth the effort.

A possibility would be to go to the carpet store and get a scrap of any color that more or less is the weight and pile height you want. Wash the bejassus of of it in hot water. If you can get it to mold around the front corner of the seat pedestal, you are in business.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
OzzieJo did a really nice install of that Newton kit. I think that kit looks the best out of the aftermarket ones ive seen.

He did say it was not straightforward though. But yes, it looks really good.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I asked my wife if she would help me shag the Van , I mean, Bus , and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Are we still discussing Vanagon interiors? Laughing

Abscate wrote:

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

I've installed the Sewfine kits in two vans. I've been completely satisfied. The first kit is going on 15 years.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

Each to his own. Unnecessary seams seem wrong to me and make me think that short cuts were taken. For me the beauty of Newton is it has very few. I always wondered why there is a seam across the front of the seat pedestals. Anyone know why? Would the Duke of Edinburgh want seams in the carpet of his custom ride? Why should you in your custom ride?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Interior, New Me. Now for carpet Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Are we still discussing Vanagon interiors? Laughing

Are you implying some innuendo of some sort, who, me?

Outcome may have been a bit subtle for this crowd.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: