Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 546, 547, 548 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
3d printed this to keep my table from swinging

That table leg mod has been on my mind too! Nice to see your version!! Looking forward to seeing how it works for you.

Oh, and sorry to see your closet door got Mod'd to open w/table in standard location. My PO too..
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
3d printed this to keep my table from swinging

That table leg mod has been on my mind too! Nice to see your version!! Looking forward to seeing how it works for you.

Oh, and sorry to see your closet door got Mod'd to open w/table in standard location. My PO too..

1 Did the table leg mod years ago, and its been AWESOME!...If I were to do it again (if this notching table holder thing works) I'd make the pipe a bit longer and put the notch in the pipe

2 - I'm the PO (doh!)

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

radar5667 wrote:
Read the forum to get my list together, then hit up Amazon and others to get my tools and spares that will stay in the Syncro with me. Nice to have them tucked away for when whatever is next happens. Thanks to the Samba for the intel on tools and spares, with extra thanks to whoever mentioned the Bucket Boss Tool Roll. That thing is awesome

You store all those tools in your van at all times? Did you take up the entire under seat storage?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote="vanis13"]3d printed this to keep my table from swinging... No matter how tight I tightened the know it would lose up on bumpy road, we'll see how this works out..... The raised table had been awesome, for storing stuff on top of those cabinets and being able to lift the cabinet doors to get in there w.o having to move the table

*** Bonus, do you see the front table storage Laughing ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks brilliant! I'd been noodling the same problem for years. My solution that has worked well for a year or more was a heavy duty magnet screwed to the C-pillar (all kinds of lightweight magnets failed). If this didn't work I was going to install some kind of positive stop similar to yours.

And yes, up by the window. Very Happy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L36SXA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got two of my tires mounted on my new alloys and brought them inside to store them for spring - and sandblasted and painted my propane tank. Super excited to have gotten the full Westy kitchen and cabinet setup with my new parts van. I thought I paid WAY too much for that van, but it's been a real treasure trove of good parts. Yay!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Was a beautiful day yesterday, mid 70's, sunny! Finally got the TPS cover from VC to complete the rebuilt TB and Hall TPS kit, so I dug in. The Hall kit's paperwork needs a bit of an update, must have evolved a few times since Shoebox started offering them. Anyway, nothing I couldn't leap the gap of information/different parts included. The kit is key-on-powered, so when I got to that part, I tapped into the line indicated. Even tested the line they show as what they use, and it was in fact correctly showing 12ish volts key-on. So I used the janky connector to shakebite on the tap and looked in to see if the LED was showing operation. Nope.

Just then, my dad came by with something to put in the trash cans, and offered to help, to which I replied "I wish you could, I'm confused" since there was now no key-on power. I traced that back, and found that I had blown my fuse added in the black box. THIS was of great concern!! Started poking around only to find that one of my power steering wires had broken!!!

Anyway, after much more farting around than I had anticipated, I managed to wrap up the work. As it turned out, not mentioned in the directions, it is HARD to see the LED indicator for the Hall switch in full daylight, so having the sun set made the last step, setting the position, much easier. I think the LED should probably protrude into the little clear stub that comes with the kit. I didn't want to chance bending the leads as I figured I would snap them off.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

1 Did the table leg mod years ago, and its been AWESOME!...If I were to do it again (if this notching table holder thing works) I'd make the pipe a bit longer and put the notch in the pipe

You're on to something there. Solving two problems with one good solution. Made well, that is a sellable product. Wink

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yeah I would sure love one - or access to the .stl file to print my own. Looks super cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed out the thermoswitch for the radiator. Took the part down to the FAPS to make sure I got the correct size deep socket. 29mm fit but no deep socket available. 1 1/8" SAE worked fine.

Dan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Plugged some cheap Chinese LED bulbs into the cheap 9004 rectangles.

Cheap, but brighter! Took some adjusting to fine tune, then drove in traffic
with no embarrassing blindness (or at least no flashes from fellow motorists).

Specs + pics to be posted in "Fall 2020 LED beam pattern photos" thread...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743944

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday we removed some old bubbling purple tint and replaced it with new ceramic 35% - it dropped the temp in direct sunlight by 18° F

We also replaced the door to the closet with a pantry rack
And have cut the whole for sliding side door mod

mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote="jimf909"]
vanis13 wrote:
3d printed this to keep my table from swinging..

That's a great mod!
Can you share the STL file?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote="mcarlson_sb"]
jimf909 wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
3d printed this to keep my table from swinging..

That's a great mod!
Can you share the STL file?

I can, but it would really only work if your pins are the same diameter as mine and at the same (radial) place on the leg. what set up do you have?

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
Changed out the thermoswitch for the radiator. Took the part down to the FAPS to make sure I got the correct size deep socket. 29mm fit but no deep socket available. 1 1/8" SAE worked fine.

Dan

29mm is 1 9/64, very close. 1 1/8 and 1 1/16 (front radius rods, 27mm) are two SAE sockets that are worth having if you own a van. Obviously having the metric are nicer for socket drawer consistency, but when you are in the middle of project and have to run to the FLAPS, it's gonna be SAE for large sizes.
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

I can, but it would really only work if your pins are the same diameter as mine and at the same (radial) place on the leg. what set up do you have?

Currently we have the stock table that never locks in place, swings into the wall and makes a hole, and makes access to the water tank and storage a pain.

I'm looking for ideas to improve all that and your setup inspired me.

We have a few 3d printers and some skill with modeling.
I was mostly hoping to use your STL as a starting point.

My wife has been enjoying remixing prints for the van.
She just did a custom organizer for the kitchen drawer and is thinking of doing the same for the "spice rack" gutter.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mcarlson_sb wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

Currently we have the stock table that never locks in place, swings into the wall and makes a hole, and makes access to the water tank and storage a pain.

I'm looking for ideas to improve all that and your setup inspired me.

We have a few 3d printers and some skill with modeling.
I was mostly hoping to use your STL as a starting point.

My wife has been enjoying remixing prints for the van.
She just did a custom organizer for the kitchen drawer and is thinking of doing the same for the "spice rack" gutter.

PM me your email and I'll send it to you. can also send you the Fusion 360 file

Notice this is your 3rd poist...welcome! from the stock leg, you would need to install pins to use my solution and also if you want the raised table thing, there is a thread on that with several solutions.

Welcome to the madness!

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed, finally, the GoWesty dash illumination LED bulbs for the Heater Controls, and Rear Heater Switch. I went with the Orange version.
I’d bought them months ago and just kept forgetting to put them in.

Also went through all my parts and supplies , transferring them out of all the cardboard boxes they had been in, and into new plastic storage boxes that have carrying handles and stack pretty well on top of each other.
This way, I can grab a box and take it to the shop and actually know what’s in the box again. My previous storage was just haphazard and lazy.... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I’ve got another set of LED headlights on the way, should be here today.
They have the Angel Ring and Amber Turn Signal ring feature on them, wanted to try that out since I feel more turn signals on the nose of the Vanagon is better than stock, to catch other drivers eyes who don’t always seem to focus on the low mounted stock ones when they’re flashing . Stop signs are the worst, they seem to assume I’m not turning since they don’t see the turn signals for a bit.
With high and low turn signals flashing, maybe I’ll stand out a bit more at an intersection for the turn.
I used to see the same effect on the rear with the low mounted tail lights, especially if the vehicle behind me was tall, but adding the 3rd brake light changed all that for the better.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the LED headlights that have the DRL / Angel Ring feature and the Yellow turn signal ring.
A drive at night will be the real test, but a side by side view with my Truck Lite LED headlights shows a dimmer Low Beam out of these new headlights in broad daylight,....... Sad

Oh well, they were cheap as a set.... Razz Razz Razz And I can always reinstall the TruckLite set... Wink

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I test drove the headlights tonight . Low beam pattern is dimmer in output than my TruckLites, but the beam shape and color of lighting are okay.
High Beams are very good, far, crisp pattern.
So, they’re keepers for now. Cool
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The fuel gague hasn't worked the four years we've owned the van.
We've also had problems with the fuel filter getting clogged up with what looks like rust. So, we finally dropped the tank and did repairs today.

It turns out the inside of the old tank wasn't in as bad of shape as expected.
I don't know if it's worth keeping, giving away or what. But the new one is on so we'll see if it helps.

The fuel gague was just PO stupidity.
At some point the cluster gague must have stopped working. Brilliant surfer dude drilled out a 2 inch hole and put in a cheap replacement. Then proceeded to wire it incorrectly.
Ground went to ground
S went to +12
+12 went to the send unit
Then the other wire of the send unit went straight back to POS on the battery
Evil or Very Mad Shocked Evil or Very Mad

No wonder it always read empty

This is not the worst wiring atrocity PO surfer dude has committed.
We have slowly been cleaning them up as we find them.
At this point we have nearly rewired the whole van.

Oh well.. We have a new Bosch fuel gague wired correctly.
And can finally see when the tank is getting close to empty without having to look at the trip and do math

Cheers,
Matthew
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 546, 547, 548 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 547 of 630

Jump to: