Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Came across this in my CL search. If anybody is near Des Moines and checks these out let me know. Interested but I’m up in Alaska and the COVID border restrictions aren’t allowing trips to the lower 48 to look at VW buses. Even though they should. Very Happy

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-selling-vanagon-an-westfilias/7174640367.html
slapin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/d/durango-1987-westfalia-wolfsburg/7176619502.html

This thing is cherry and at a great price. Had a few nice chats with the owner who did most of the work himself, with exception of the swap. I wanted to bring it to CA and put the Kennedy bits on it, but it has a 95 OBDII engine in it, which is a CA killer. He sent me some additional photos and it is super clean inside and out.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Fairweather's van is for sale.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2406181

Not saying it's a good deal, but wondered what had happened to him. Super cool van in person, but the last time I saw it was six or seven years ago.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banjojon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to this, but everyone has an opinion on whether to go with the original engine because parts are easier to find and cheaper or find a van with an engine upgrade.

This van looks like a good deal and I hate to pass it up because a few places scared me away from TIICO engines. Thoughts?

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/d/fort-collins-1990-volkswagen-vanagon/7177896447.html

Thanks
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

banjojon wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this, but everyone has an opinion on whether to go with the original engine because parts are easier to find and cheaper or find a van with an engine upgrade.

This van looks like a good deal and I hate to pass it up because a few places scared me away from TIICO engines. Thoughts?

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/d/fort-collins-1990-volkswagen-vanagon/7177896447.html

Thanks

Well, the TIICO motors were pretty much a crap shoot. Some built and balanced well, some not so much. Some don't make 50k miles, some go 150K. Since this one already has 60K on it, it's probably not one of the real dogs, but driveability and longevity depends quite a bit on how much has been done to sort it out (there's still a Yahoo group for Tiicos as well). There are a number threads here with specifics as well, but if it's a well sorted one it should have, IMO:
    Later ECU code, preferably an "E" code (last letter in the P/N) with 4-wire O2 sensor, but the "C" and "D" codes are somewhat better than "A" or "B" codes - "A" codes are problematic and don't control mixture appropriately
    A2 fuel rail and injectors
    Serpentine belt retrofit

Doing a compression check and leakdown test would be advisable as well.
banjojon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Thanks!
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

banjojon wrote:
Thanks!

No problem, if you have any specific questions just pmail me.
Keith
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

15" Pentas - not a crazy deal or anything

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/mississauga-pee...1509005709
Morris_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

This one is for sale near me. Any thoughts? It would be my first Syncro and it seems like it would be difficult to evaluate if it doesn't run.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/colorado-springs-1987-volkswagon/7202306777.html

Proud Owner of:
Morris - '82 Westy (RIP)
Milo - '86 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Morris_82 wrote:
This one is for sale near me. Any thoughts? It would be my first Syncro and it seems like it would be difficult to evaluate if it doesn't run.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/colorado-springs-1987-volkswagon/7202306777.html

The thought of 22k for a not-running van hurts my head. My opinion only- even a syncro westy shouldn't be more than 5k not running. I'm probably low on that because I don't value the syncro part like others do.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

And yet, it is still easily worth $22.5k if the body is in the shape the pictures portray it to be. I don't see any seam rust. If it were fully sorted, it would be a $30k van all day long and a new engine (worst case scenario) costs $3k, a used one can be had for less than a grand. Get it running, fresh paint, and it would be for sale for $40k...

The snag I see right off the bat is that it's missing the steering cover and the horn wiring is exposed. Why? What is fubar'd there? Electrical issues indeed.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

or maybe they were looking for a melted ignition switch
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

If they can't afford to take a $22k van to the shop and spend a couple hundred to fix "an electrical issue" (thereby making it a $25-30k van), you bet your ass that "decent mechanical shape" means it has not been well taken care of.

Hatch paint almost looks like it's had an engine fire.
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

I’m not so sure this is neither a good deal nor a nice van? I don’t like how it’s missing rear windows, leaving the interior exposed to the elements. I do have a spare engine I could drop in, however it seems more of a parts van. Assuming that what would be a fair price?

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/d/anchorage-vw-westfalia-syncro/7206466083.html

Obviously it’s a tin top.

Sabata
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

If you live "near Anchorage" go show them 3,000 cash. Obviously you can't know the trans is any good unless you can operate it. But, mostly, I'd guess if the mileage is accurate, the trans and front end would be worth 3 to graft onto a true Westy.. And, if you are lucky and its not full of mice, then perhaps a Westy top could be grafted on to that body.

Anyway, take your state check $'s and Covid check and thats about 3k, I'd guess. So, what's to loose?

PS. I left a bus in Homer for a few years, it was just dandy when I came back for it after I recovered from the cancer I associate with the Valdez disaster I went to help clean up. --ya, I know, the oil is still in the beaches, and everywhere, if you dig in a little, so a lot of good we did moppin it up, right? Anyway, I lived. Too many didn't.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

I wonder what the current street or market value for a Syncro transaxle (rebuild-able core) is these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Has to be $5k, right? If you can find me one for half that, I would be exceedingly interested.
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Has to be $5k, right? If you can find me one for half that, I would be exceedingly interested.

Agreed 💯 %
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Not mine, but it looks like a well sorted van with a SAH installed 1.8T - not cheep but way more into the van than the asking price. 41k

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/sacramento-1987-vw-vanagon-westfalia/7212359926.html
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://helena.craigslist.org/cto/d/lincoln-1984-vw-vanagon-camper/7209909095.html

score. wish I could take on a project. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Page 307 of 327

Jump to: