Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Has anyone towed their Syncro behind a RV, I thinking about it, it will allow more stuff to be brought along and kayaks or whatever can be mounted on top.
The RV is a class B+ with a Ford v-10 with a towing package . I thinking that the driveshaft should be removed for better turning radius. What would your concerns be.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

I’m not a fan of flat towing. Had a crazy wreck once. Ever since, I have used a trailer with electric brakes.

Removing the driveshaft seems like a pain in the butt. A decoupler would be way easier. Flat towing is going to wear the driveline just like it would driving it. Lots of moving parts.

So, for short trips, it’s probably fine. I would not flat tow cross country.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

it's fine, and others have done it for thousands of miles.

you can buy a RV braking system for the Tow'd vehicle which is required in some states @ the weight rating of a Syncro loaded with gear anyways. I see those on craigslist from time to time so watch the market.

you do not need to remove the driveshaft for turning radius.. it'll follow the RV in any regular turning radius it'll do just fine. the VC doesn't really care since there's no power being applied. it's the differentials and tires (diameter) that will impact the radius.
https://albany.craigslist.org/pts/d/albany-blue-ox-tow-bar-brake-system/7211824945.html

we did this for ~1ooo miles when we had a break down on a NY to FL family trip.
it was 'fine' albeit a little outside the ratings of the towing vehicle Wink
* had a 1.8l ~105hp Jetta I4 fwiw
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Be super Anal to ensure that the van is in Neutral before taking off. There's a fellow member here that towed his Syncro behind his motorhome and left it in gear. He said he had noticed some resistance when he first took off and then it cleared up and rolled fine.
Needless to say it took out his Trans and his engine, he estimates that the driveline was spinning about 14K before it exploded.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

very much a valid point.. multiple REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT warnings and reminders need to be placed around the flight cabins of both vehicles.

there's a Bay guy who did the same behind his motor home.. 1st gear @ 45mph is destruction and smoke quite possibly even fire.

if you are a forgetful, distracted or just plain stressed out type of individual take a serious look at your attitudes and behavior
I've a few friends that I wouldn't ever recommend such an endeavor to..

and don't listen to those who say it can just pop into 1st gear..
they're likely either parroting some alert others have said
those others quite likely forgot to put it into neutral and can't accept that fact.. instead blaming it on witchcraft.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

You’re spinning lots of “stuff”, but its all at “no load”.
How often will you be doing full-lock turns while towing, that might wear out the VC? Once or twice, at very low speed.
Much less than when driving the Syncro.
No stress, no problem.

I’d build a wooden “fixture” that positively, absolutely, and VISIBLY holds the gear lever in neutral. Plywood and 2x4s.
I highly doubt it would “fall”into a gear.

The risk is someone knocking it into a gear while loading stuff, cargo shifting, a dog, kid, well-meaning old fart who always leaves a parked car in gear, or just forgetting. One glance at the “neutral fixture” and all is well.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
How often will you be doing full-lock turns while towing, that might wear out the VC? Once or twice, at very low speed.
Much less than when driving the Syncro.
No stress, no problem.

I’d build a wooden “fixture” that positively, absolutely, and VISIBLY holds the gear lever in neutral. Plywood and 2x4s.

Sodo, I’m surprised you of all members are in this camp. Time for you to do a
temperature study.

My syncro trans axle is like gold to me. At least when your driving the van you can monitor it. Flopping along behind an RV, if something is coming apart, you’ll never know. You’ll be thinking all those folks passing you are pointing at your cool vw only to find the next time you stopped a driveshaft u joint failed and you’ve been whacking the pavement for the last 200 miles.

Short day trips fine. Longer trips, I’d use my trailer.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Removing the drive shaft is a 20 minute job and I don't even have to raise the van. I do have a decoupler with a solid shaft inplace of the VC. Does anyone have photo of the tow bar installed.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

lotsa pics in the towbar threads
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=towbar&search_forum=20

maybe wld*wsty will chime in.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520559&highlight=towing

WLD*WSTY wrote:
I tow my Syncro four down behind my motorhome all the time. No special precautions, other than shifting into neutral, unlocking the steering wheel, releasing the parking brake, and closing the vents to keep out diesel smoke. Thousands of miles without any problems!

Larry H.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

ok because we like pik-tures more than following links to other threads where it's already been discussed ad nauseum but hey who like to search through the forum for such obscure things like a tow bar.. shirlely no one else has blazed this trail before.

anyways.. if your Universal joints are about to explode in the next trip then maybe you should pass on the notion altogether, stay home and grease your rotating bits and bobs. Wink

a tow'd tire monitoring system would be handy though. that's far more likely to happen. than grenading a transaxle or driveshaft.

from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9100124

danfromsyr wrote:
more about the roadmaster brackets in these 2 threads

from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4780390
insyncro wrote:
I purchased this many years ago from a Vanagon owner who towed his Syncro behind a Class A motorhome.
This unit is very well built and I use it for the same purpose.

Hope this helps anyone looking to tow a vanagon.

dylan

from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461071&postorder=desc

BillWYellowstone wrote:

Tow Bar, Blue Ox

Braking setup. Has compressor, uses inertia to activate, presses the brake pedal. Not shown hooked up, but switch on front of van with pull out pin attached viia cable to towing vehicle, switch activates braking to stop.

In position ready to go.

Unfortunately, it was at this point we discovered that the fuel pump in the motorhome went kaput. Enought to start and idle and move around, not enough to drive anywhere, so... as you can see, we got towed. 120 miles to a place that could fix it. 80 gallon, almost full tank had to be lowered. Part ordered, but they looked at it Tues AM, I drove away Weds 2:30PM.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Sodo, I’m surprised you of all members are in this camp. Time for you to do a
temperature study.

‘No load’ has its benefits. Such as no heat generated. The heat of stirring might be the most significant contributor. Mark I’d be very surprised if there was any real heat.

A guy could put his hand on the tranny out of curiosity though.
Or squirt it with an IR temp gun.

I’m totally with you that this trans should be built correctly, in good mechanical condition, and maintained like gold though. Towed or driven.

So here it is, y’all knew it was coming, right?

When’s the last time you changed the gear oil? Its only $20 and theres no good reason to have metal dust in the lubricant of a rare antique transaxle. Its only detrimental.

In the words of another Samba member “that stuff needs to get out of there.” And it can, for just $20 ( if you can do the work yourself).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

At $10/quart, it's more like $50. But I definitely agree with you.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
At $10/quart, it's more like $50. But I definitely agree with you.

That makes some sense for an over-engined trans.
I’ve seen test where in some conditions 7-11% better lubricity was offered by specialty oils. Any little bit helps.
And most certainly if you drive it fast & hot.
But all that 7-11% goes away after the oil’s no longer clean.
Expensive oil can cause a problem dumping the crud out, and in that way can be worse than cheap oil.
Its good when you keep it clean.
Don’t buy oil that you’re attached to Wink .
Unless you wanna settle it (purify it). But that’s another story - for the hobbyist. Wink
(Gravity purification is a good way to get value from specialty oil) Exclamation

Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

I'll be the skunk in the garden party. Get rid of some stuff and you won't need to tow a full blown Westy behind a big RV. I can imagine you will spend 1/2 your time searching for the thing you want which will undoubtedly be buried under your other stuff.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

I think the westy needs a tow hitch rack with a tent and a pop up trailer to complete the series
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
Has anyone towed their Syncro behind a RV, I thinking about it, it will allow more stuff to be brought along and kayaks or whatever can be mounted on top.

Are you thinking the Syncro vs. another vehicle you own because of the ease of carrying things, or just carrying things in general? I was thinking a trailer instead might be a better choice, but of course that involve buying a trailer & racks, etc.
I’m guessing you probably have already figured this out.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

a vanagon makes a great tow'd behind a motorhome. as a road trip weekender vehicle for excursions away from the mobile hoe base.

people certainly use and lifestyle these in very varied ways.

me I bought a 82 rabbit to tow behind my vanagon for when I camp, to carry stuff and to use as the runner to town/places so I
1) don't have to break camp for (kayak launching, store/firewood running/sight seeing)
2) often times I want to do one/some of the above and my other half wants to stay @ camp and read a book or vice-versa. so i/we don't do all that I/we want to do at some time.

more options, more fun (more complications more hassle too )
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Wouldn’t this reverse load on the ring and pinions as well as the gear pairs for an extended period of time and at highway speeds, at a high rpm? I would be interested to hear what Gears has to say about this. I’m sure you can get away with this, but is it a good idea?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
weekender vehicle for excursions away from the mobile hoe base.

Mobile hoe base huh? A girl in every port? Wink
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Wouldn’t this reverse load on the ring and pinions as well as the gear pairs for an extended period of time and at highway speeds, at a high rpm? I would be interested to hear what Gears has to say about this. I’m sure you can get away with this, but is it a good idea?

I wouldn't think so, they'd be more floating so slop/lash could be a factor.
but there's no reverse loading as the tow'd syncro wouldn't be dragging it's weight against the transaxle to slow down either.
it's just a wagon behind a kid. the driveline really is just spinning.. and the only thing spinning is in the differential areas. the VC doesn't sense any power input to get warmed up.
since the gear pack is uncoupled. and the R&P does the internal oiling so that's covered.
if flat towing causes a wear/failure issue you already had an immanent wear/failure coming. but that may just me IMHO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: