Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Awesome pics, a beautiful bus!

Thatís good news that Lanner is working on a late bay conversion, he should upgrade the brakes in the rear as well, as I honestly donít know what to put there, his knowledge will be awesome.
Do you plan to upgrade the rear as well?
I know the original brakes are amazing on the bus, but sometimes the way we drive those nowadays, I wonít be unhappy to put discs in place of drums one day with this kind of engine and mountain driving.

Thank you for the compliments!

As for the rear, I do plan to swap to disc there too. I had originally planned to DIY something after getting these fronts done, but after talking with Lanner, he's planning a rear disk kit for bays that uses rear Cayman parts that has an integral parking brake setup inside the rotor. He's hoping to get that dialed in over the winter, so I think I'm going to sit tight a bit and see how that pans out. He's already aware of my interest in the kit Laughing

As for the necessity of rear disks, that's certainly debatable. I can confidently say that the stock rear drums and front Cayman setup is VERY MUCH a capable combo. I had to do a quick panic type stop this past weekend while cruising home from the ATL meetup. Was admittedly distracted watching a bicyclist that was coming across the road at an angle towards me from the opposite late, and when he got clear (he came around behind me) I looked ahead only to realize everyone was completely stopped in the middle of the road for something else up ahead. I had to jump all over the brakes and pulled it all down in a hurry. Pretty impressive response in the brakes TBH. Dude on the bicycle ended up riding back up past me and was like "nice stop" Rolling Eyes Glad I didn't end up plowing the back of that Toyota Camry Embarassed

But you are right though, the way we drive these now (and the way others drive around us), its not a bad idea to have greater capability. I know the rest of my powertrain is significantly higher performing than the stock parts, so why wouldn't I make the brakes the same? Regardless of how good the stock stuff might have been in its day.

The biggest advantage to me in going disk in the rear too are brakes that don't need to be adjusted, again have better heat capacity, etc, etc. Plus they would look the part better behind those big old Porsche wheels Laughing

67 Beetle (1500sp, 1776dp, 1915NA, 1915T fuel injected, 2276NA, 2276T fuel injected, 2084NA, 2056 T4, back to the trusty 1600dp)

74 Transporter (2.0 T4, SOHC EJ25) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Fantastic! And great news that Lanner has a late Bay. I should really contact him about doing similar with our 5x112 wheels. I'll throw in some interest for 4 wheel upgrade too... (Skills is likely sharing his head at me now...) 😀

Where did you source your calipers? New? Remanufactured?

Happy driving!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
Fantastic! And great news that Lanner has a late Bay. I should really contact him about doing similar with our 5x112 wheels. I'll throw in some interest for 4 wheel upgrade too... (Skills is likely sharing his head at me now...) 😀

Where did you source your calipers? New? Remanufactured?

Happy driving!

The 5x112 would be the tough part. All the Porsche parts are 5x130, so to do similar with 5x112 would require a full custom machined front hub, redrilled rotors, etc, etc. That's basically what Nate/Wagenswest brakes kits are, just with Wilwoods.

For my calipers, I went new. Let me tell you, be prepared for sticker shock. Reman is an option that can save a few bucks, but at least when I was looking (and even now), there are no reman calipers available on the market. These calipers are a very popular swap for a ton of different cars, so I think used ones get snatched up pretty quick, meaning there isn't a lot of cores for Cardone/etc to get their hands on to reman. Another options is take offs found on Ebay, pick-n-pulls, etc. Even those can be pretty pricey. The low cost ones sell very quickly. With some good hunting though, deals can be found. For me, I just bit the bullet and bought new.

67 Beetle (1500sp, 1776dp, 1915NA, 1915T fuel injected, 2276NA, 2276T fuel injected, 2084NA, 2056 T4, back to the trusty 1600dp)

74 Transporter (2.0 T4, SOHC EJ25) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

I'd be interested in a rear kit. Ive been thinking about trying to find some different compound front pads to test out on my stock system.

My brakes are gone through and operating correctly and work great for maybe about the first couple seconds in a panic situation. After that is frightening.

I've never driven another car that has the brake fade that a bus has. After a few seconds in a hard stop and it seems like they lose 50% of their power. After that, they cool off and you are good to go again. But damn, I'd like to do something about the fade.
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I will wait and see but the future looks bright with Lanner engineering it Smile
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Guess its time for another long over due update Embarassed

As per usual, the Bus has needed absolutely nothing other than gas and go. I'm right at 10k miles since the swap has been finished, and have ZERO regrets. Such an awesome machine.

Been running it around quite a bit lately with the weather turning into spring around, and being absolutely beautiful around here. Whether its just a quick trip down the local trail for an easy walk, or a (death) hike up through the mountains with all the kids in tow just to go see the dam from the over look, the Bus has been our machine of choice to get us there and back. Also have enjoyed a few nice drives back and forth to work too boot. This thing is HARD to beat. Just a few obligatory adventure pics. First one loading up on the way out, and the second on a mid trip break in a local park.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've also torn into several other small projects as time has allowed. In no particular order:

Vent Covers
Recently scored some westy vent block off covers for the under dash vent system. Mine originally of course would have tied into the door panel vents, but since those are long gone and I have smooth Werksberg panels, I've always wanted to get the giant holes capped off under the dash. Snagged these off of FB, and with a quick scrub and paint, they were ready to go on. Really finished out the look under dash I think.

Steering Box
Next up was a new steering box to hopefully tighten up the front end. My OG ZF box was getting pretty worn in the housing/output shaft area, and had some lateral movement in the shaft before it would rotate. Everything else under the front end is new, so this piece was the last hold out. Unfortunately new TRW boxes are no longer available, but I found this JP Dansk (?) box on AutohausAZ. It is at least distributed by a German company, although its origin I'm sure is from somewhere far cheaper. However, it is what I can actually get my hands on, so I'm giving it a shot. I did nothing more than give it a good coat of paint, filled it with oil, installed it, centered it, and made some small adjustment for free play. Don't have much time on it yet, but so far so good. Seems to have helped the Bus. The big tell will be the next highway trip. We'll see. Hardest part with the replacement was getting the pitman arm pulled off, but with a few tricks, I finally popped loose. Ultimately I'd like to see if the ZF box can be remachined, but I think its been dry so I don't have high hopes for its insides. We'll see, and I'll post up here when I tear it open.

The old ZF box removed from service.

The new JP Dansk box after its fresh coat of paint in the painting tree Laughing

Pretty easy install, just piloted the Bus right up on the ole' race ramps and had plenty of room to work

And fully installed

Shock Swap
Last up is new shocks. I'm swapping everything over to a new set of KYB Gas-adjust. I previously ran the Excel-G's up front with Gas-Adjusts in the rear. No complaints, but hoping that the new Gas-Adjusts up front are a touch firmer in compression, as my large wheel/tire combo and suspension in my factory wheel tub is really at the limit. With the Bus loaded I do get some consistent rubbing on big bumps. Need to also drop back to a 45 series front tire, and ultimately tub, but not looking to cut on anything anytime soon. The rears are getting swapped too, as I'm not sure how long my current rears have been on the Bus.

The goods

Shiny!

And done.... Also, still loving my brakes from Lanner!!!

All I got for now. Got some more things in the works, and will update here if/when they get in motion Laughing

[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

still hands down my favorite bus on the samba

amazing that you don't have to futz with it...gas and go is a beautiful thing

of all the buses i service the swapped ones get more miles than the aircooled ones.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
still hands down my favorite bus on the samba

amazing that you don't have to futz with it...gas and go is a beautiful thing

of all the buses i service the swapped ones get more miles than the aircooled ones.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Its a fun Bus for sure. I've certainly put more miles on this thing than many of my aircooled VW's before it. Its just too easy.

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Beautiful swap Vee Dub Nut!

Read through from the beginning but couldn't find anything on whether you tied in the original gas tank venting system and charcoal canister from your bus to your intake. I couldn't see anything in the pics either. Did you use them or do something different?

I've recently finished my own Subaru swap into a 76 Westy Automatic, but upgraded to a Vanagon Automatic transaxle for the external tranny cooler option. Absolutely love it.

DB
76 Westy Automatic
Subaru 2.5L SOHC
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Beautiful swap Vee Dub Nut!

Read through from the beginning but couldn't find anything on whether you tied in the original gas tank venting system and charcoal canister from your bus to your intake. I couldn't see anything in the pics either. Did you use them or do something different?

I've recently finished my own Subaru swap into a 76 Westy Automatic, but upgraded to a Vanagon Automatic transaxle for the external tranny cooler option. Absolutely love it.

DB
76 Westy Automatic
Subaru 2.5L SOHC

Thanks DB! Its been a fun project, and the end result has been a very enjoyable bus to own and drive!

Regarding the charcoal canister, no, I don't have any of that in there at the moment. The stock stuff was in pretty sad shape and partly missing before the swap, and on the 74 the canister is mounted to the firewall which conflicts with the EJ25 intake. So when I did the swap I just removed the canister, and so far haven't tried to remount it (also, I think the canister would need to be refreshed anyways). Currently the tank vent lines are just tee'd together, and then left open to the atmosphere like early bays where (have a hose that runs outside of the engine bay). I kind of expected to get some fuel vapor smell from it being arranged this way, but in practice that has been an issue at all. No fuel smells in the shop/garage when its parked after being ran.

The Subaru purge valve under the intake manifold isn't hooked to anything. To be honest, I can't even remember if its plugged in or not. I've had it both ways when I was trying to eliminate nuisance codes early on.

Adam

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Thanks Adam.
I mounted my canister just behind the top lid and plumbed in the gas tank vents and the crankcase/head breathers. Not nearly as neat and clean as yours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: