Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCOLUCCI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a basic question, but for the Oil Filter & Pump combination like the EMPI Full Flow Filter Oil Pump. Does the engine have to be removed to do the install?
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I did such an install on my 72.

I am not familiar with the EMPI filter oil pump, but it should work the same....
I put it in with the engine out of the car. Although it's easier, it's not mandatory. You need to take out the bottom pulley (works best with a 2-arm puller), as well as the exhaust, to have good access. You may need to loosen up the case bolts around the rear area, and you may need an oil pump puller to pull the old oil pump out.

Depending on the thickness of the oil pump casting, new longer (M8? I forgot) studs may be required. Most recommend filling the oil filter before putting it on, and crank the engine (with the disconnected coil wire), until the oil light goes out. Only then reconnect the coil wire.

Don't forget to re-tighten the case bolts in case you loosened them Wink
I have neved done this before, but it worked out on my first try.

Best regards,
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FLCOLUCCI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!!!
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

No problem, I hope it works out Wink And welcome on Thesamba ! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

oil pumps are cam type 'specific'
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Good that you say that, I totally forgot. There are 3-bolt or 4-bolt camshafts.

Generally they can be held apart by the year (up to, including 1970, or starting with 1971). The shape of the slot in which the "key" of the oil pump is fitting, may be slightly different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unless you are 100% sure the engine is absolutely stock, a check would be good (through the hole of the old oil pump), because many (or most?) aftermarket "sport" camshafts are the early (!!!) type.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter & Pump combination install on 1974 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Quote:
There are 3-bolt or 4-bolt camshafts

haven't run across a 4 bolt camshaft....yet.

I was referring to the 'flat' cam end and the 'dished' cam end on the 3 bolt camshafts. The pump 'body' and drive gear are different for the two ends
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: