Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Beautiful car. I am trying to finish my 70 vert before I'm finished ....
Best of luck to you.
Paul
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

pkbghia wrote:
This weekend I completed my rewiring of my 70 ghia restoration. Everything seems to be fine but I ran into this sentence in the instructions and wanted to see if anyone had any idea what it means:

"Black from ignition switch to fusebox terminal marked "K" to dummylight power at base of speedometer"

I got the black to the fusebox but the end of the sentence has me stumped.

Any ideas?

Hey pkb, I looked at mine and if you haven't figured it out yet, that black wire connects at the fuse panel, which you have done, and then splits and connects to the plug at the base of the speedo, just next to where you have wires running to the dummy lights. should be just off to the side of those 2 or 3 plugs along the bottom. Let me know if you need a pic.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

[quote="NoDents"]
Marcdeb wrote:
NoDents wrote:
I went for a "I'm Done" celebration ride.

Beautiful. That color really works well with the black interior and boot. Would enjoy seeing more pictures.
Have you considered putting your restoration process into one thread showing the entire process?
You did a fantastic job.

I did not create a restoration thread for this 3.5 year project. Although I would have received a lot of support during the process I did not need the trolls and nay-sayers questioning my intentions. I don't take criticism well and it would have just pissed me off.

I have post a series of photos on Instagram (rickbowen26) if anyone is interested in a high level overview.

I do have plans to document the process now after the fact. Look for a thread in the next few days.

That makes sense. I will anxiously watch for your new thread. Looks like a lot of very well done work. Must be a joy to drive. Really am liking that color. Laughing

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
I went for a "I'm Done" celebration ride.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fantastic job, looks amazing. The color is perfect. I like the little custom mods you have done. Now enjoy it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Congratulations on your "just finished" first drive! Wonderful car. I see you went back to the exact same spot shortly after, and cleaned up the road slightly. Wink
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Weighed my car yesterday.

Full tank of gas, Mendeola suspension, 915 5 speed transmission, Type 4 motor

2260 pounds

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Weighed my car yesterday.

Full tank of gas, Mendeola suspension, 915 5 speed transmission, Type 4 motor

2260 pounds
Now I have two favorite finished Ghias, yours and "The Aufgeladen Ghia". You both managed to capture the nostalgia of the original while giving it a modern vibe. I wish you many years of enjoyment.

And now for a very self serving question. Since you actually have a finished Ghia with a Mendeola suspension and some go fast goodies, how do you rate the Mendeola bits? Do they deliver on the promise?

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

After the first snow of the year

It was time to put her to bed for the year.

I'll give her a polish this weekend, put the cover on topped with moving blankets and call it done!

Winter projects will be an oil change, valve adjustment and getting rid of the plastic molding clips and replacing the aluminum molding with stainless steel.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:

And now for a very self serving question. Since you actually have a finished Ghia with a Mendeola suspension and some go fast goodies, how do you rate the Mendeola bits? Do they deliver on the promise?

-----
Emil

Well I must say with the Yokohama S Drive tires (205/40 & 205/50) the car handles VERY well in the canyons above Malibu CA. Ride is no too stiff even though I had to increase the height in the front by tightening up the springs. I have 17" wheels necessary due to the 12" front discs; should have stuck to the 11" discs and 16" rims. Would have cleared the front fenders better.

Only complaints are the emergency brake currently does not hold the car in place. I need to arrange a trip to CoolRydes and have Kevin see what's going on there. Also turning radius is not as tight as stock.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I got to add some paint! It is not perfect but I am happy with how it turned out.
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Congratulations on your "just finished" first drive! Wonderful car. I see you went back to the exact same spot shortly after, and cleaned up the road slightly. Wink

WOW. That’s very nice.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Put mine away into her new Ghiahaus, aka, the Dub Shack!

Left her in for the night so she can get the feel for her new surroundings.

Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Not a big accomplishment, but the first part has been installed back on the car after a year in the body shop.
Dancing

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looking VERY Awesome Marc! Now the real fun(?) begins! Can't wait to follow along.
Jeff

Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Replaced the flexible fuel line that was rubbing on the driveshaft. I have been smelling gas in the garage all week but not a drip until Sunday morning when it dumped about a gallon on the floor.
Close call.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

No snow or sunshine as shown in the previous photos here, but lots of rain.

If you won't drive your Ghia in the rain, you won't be driving your Ghia in New Zealand at all. So I drove it in the rain today.

Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Steelz21 wrote:
Replaced the flexible fuel line that was rubbing on the driveshaft. I have been smelling gas in the garage all week but not a drip until Sunday morning when it dumped about a gallon on the floor.
Close call.

Apparently not. I came home to another huge puddle of gas under my car. Fuel dripping from both ends of the tunnel. I’m thinking the steel line in the tunnel has let go.
Checked under gas tank and it’s dry. Same at the rear end.

Looks like a project this weekend. Any helpful hints are more than welcome.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Steelz21 wrote:
Steelz21 wrote:
Close call.

Apparently not. I came home to another huge puddle of gas under my car. Fuel dripping from both ends of the tunnel. I’m thinking the steel line in the tunnel has let go.

Same problem here. Installed a new fuel line front to back NEXT to the tunnel, opposite side of the rear brake lines.
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Steelz21 wrote:
Steelz21 wrote:
Close call.

Same problem here. Installed a new fuel line front to back NEXT to the tunnel, opposite side of the rear brake lines.

I just finished doing exactly that. A little painting and re-assembly tomorrow after work and it’s back on the road.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
My "Winter Pandemic project".

It's been almost 15 years since Sophia got a new lease on life. She's getting a freshening over the winter.

Looks like I parked her a bit early Sad The weather in Ohio was fantastic the last 7-10 days.
Anyhow, it gave me a chance to play in the unheated garage. Since the motor is out it seemed like a good time to do a bit of housekeeping.
I was having a issue with a slight thumping noise in the rear when I was taking off from a standstill. It was pointed out that the red urethane mounts are not the greatest. Since they are nearly 15 years old I thought it might be a good time to replace them.
Even with the engine out it was (for me) a royal PIA. New cuss words were invented assuring a special place next to the Dark Lord!
But after about 4 hours I succeeded.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 148 of 166

Jump to: