Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn Wiring Help :(
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

So, before I get a few sticks of TNT I thought I should see what all you guru's have to say.

68 Ghia:

I just finished wiring the horn system and pretty confident it's wired correctly. When I do a test by touching the green wire to the location in the yellow arrow is pointing, the horn sometimes works but mostly just sounds like there's a bad connection and all I hear is a click like a bad connection.

Could a bad horn relay cause this or the green wire not having a good connection on the steering column?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any thoughts? or would it be better to wiring the horn system w/out a relay and if so how do I do that?

Thank you,
Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

With ignition in the on position:

What is the voltage u see at the horn positive? (Measure from positive to good ground point nearby

What is the resistance between the negative connector at the horn and the end of green wire at the steering wheel

With ignition off, and horn disconnected, what is the resistance between positive and negative terminal?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

Very Happy Smile Laughing

and...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566567

Nicholas Cool Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Very Happy Smile Laughing

and...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566567

Nicholas Cool Laughing

Nicholas,

Nice picture to help those of us who are challenged like me !!! Smile Smile I have a few things to go check now, hopefully will make magic by the end of this weekend Smile

Thanks again!!

Lee

Last edited by Mrfun2fly on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

I also have a 68 I recently restored. Had issues with the horn as well. New powder coated beam, painted steering box, new wiring harness. The steering box had no contact to ground. I jumpered a wire from the steering box to ground. Here is a picture of the wire (don't mind the overspray, hadn't cleaned it up yet). Also had issues with an aftermarket horn button in a Grant steering wheel. After resolving the connection issues, my horns work great. Good luck.

Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
I also have a 68 I recently restored. Had issues with the horn as well. New powder coated beam, painted steering box, new wiring harness. The steering box had no contact to ground. I jumpered a wire from the steering box to ground. Here is a picture of the wire (don't mind the overspray, hadn't cleaned it up yet). Also had issues with an aftermarket horn button in a Grant steering wheel. After resolving the connection issues, my horns work great. Good luck.

Glad yours is working well bud! Gues it can't hurt to do something like this anyway. And I also have a spare relay I can try.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
With ignition in the on position:

What is the voltage u see at the horn positive? (Measure from positive to good ground point nearby

What is the resistance between the negative connector at the horn and the end of green wire at the steering wheel

With ignition off, and horn disconnected, what is the resistance between positive and negative terminal?

I will also try this and see what numbers I get . What kind of numbers should I be seeing?
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

Bingo!

Swapped out the original VW German relay and replaced it w one I bought a year ago on accident and schaaazam! Beep beep!

Thank you all for the sweet education, definitely adding that to my toolbox arsenal:)

Thanks again!

Lee
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

Relays are nice, but tend to fail. I just had one on my air ride setup go bad. A little bit of mechanical agitation is all it needed (smacked it on the counter top). Works like new. 😆
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
I also have a 68 I recently restored. Had issues with the horn as well. New powder coated beam, painted steering box, new wiring harness. The steering box had no contact to ground. I jumpered a wire from the steering box to ground. Here is a picture of the wire (don't mind the overspray, hadn't cleaned it up yet). Also had issues with an aftermarket horn button in a Grant steering wheel. After resolving the connection issues, my horns

Ugh...I'm back to my horn project. Yes the relay was bad and replaced the relay.

Questions:

On the 68 after wired correctly is the steering shaft hot?

If I touch the steering shaft with the center wire coming up from the shaft as seen in my picture above, should the horn honk?

Reason I ask is, when I touch the shaft with the center wire, nothing happens but when I touch the horn bearing under the turn lever with the center wire, the horn honks.

Fyi, the center shaft seems to move, thinking the horn bearing may need replacing so wondering if this could be the issue.

Thank you!

Lee
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

No! The shaft is not hot... It completes the ground. The relay is just waiting to be energized and power the horns.

Yes, touching the wire completes the circuit causing the horns to beep. Lemme look through all my pictures, I might have some of the steering column. I did have to replace my bushing, twice... The first ones solder failed and the wire fell off.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
No! The shaft is not hot... It completes the ground. The relay is just waiting to be energized and power the horns.

Yes, touching the wire completes the circuit causing the horns to beep. Lemme look through all my pictures, I might have some of the steering column. I did have to replace my bushing, twice... The first ones solder failed and the wire fell off.

Thank you,

I'm not electric minded but tell me where to plug things in and I can follow instructions lol

Right now I can touch the steering shaft with the wire and nothing happens. The shaft has lots of play making me think there's no connection from the horn bearing to the shaft?? Wonder if I need to replace wirh the following part or.parts

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/steering-column-bearing-111-998-559/

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/steering-shaft-contact-thrust-ring-111-953-535-d/
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

Just went through all my pictures... Nothing except the one I already shown above. My beam was powder coated, and I blasted and painted my steering box. There was no connection to ground through all the paint, hence the wire jumper. You won't be able to tell which bushing you'll need until you tear yours apart... Mine was an early 68, has the donut shaped one with the wire dangling. A pain in the ass to install for me. You will more than likely need a new bushing.

Have a look at this thread... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566567&highlight=horn+wiring

Good luck.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Wiring Help :( Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Just went through all my pictures... Nothing except the one I already shown above. My beam was powder coated, and I blasted and painted my steering box. There was no connection to ground through all the paint, hence the wire jumper. You won't be able to tell which bushing you'll need until you tear yours apart... Mine was an early 68, has the donut shaped one with the wire dangling. A pain in the ass to install for me. You will more than likely need a new bushing.

Have a look at this thread... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566567&highlight=horn+wiring

Good luck.

Well, the steering bearing doesn't cost much and since I need to take it apart might as well replace it.

Ugh...these horn systems are so goofy and have been giving me issues for years. I'm constantly learning but dang it, one of these days gonna get some TNT and really fix it! Laughing

Thanks bud!

Lee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: