Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turnkey Engines
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WPBBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

Hello...newly 1972 Bay Window Bus. Super Excited and doing a lot of work on it already. I have an Engine and Transmission but would like to get them rebuilt or swap out for turnkey engine. Any recommendation on the source? OI see a number of sites offering the service...GEX, etc...any feedback on good sources? Thanks
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

if you buy a GEX engine the locals will steal it in the middle of the night and sink it in a gator infested swamp to put both it and you out of your misery.

*stay away from GEX.. it's bad, really bad

look into Headflow masters in California, https://www.headflowmasters.com/
or Mofoco in Wisconsin https://www.mofoco.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

WPBBUS wrote:
Hello...newly 1972 Bay Window Bus. Super Excited and doing a lot of work on it already. I have an Engine and Transmission but would like to get them rebuilt or swap out for turnkey engine. Any recommendation on the source? OI see a number of sites offering the service...GEX, etc...any feedback on good sources? Thanks

Check out the Buyer and Seller Feedback thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

If you intend to put many miles on your rig, then buying a cheap engine will cause you endless frustration. What is wrong with your present engine? I have about 50K miles on a high mileage engine I only did rings and valves in, less than $500 out of pocket IIRC.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

Unless you have a boat that needs an anchor x2 on gex. Mofoco is my choice. They have turnkey as well as longblocks.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
if you buy a GEX engine the locals will steal it in the middle of the night and sink it in a gator infested swamp to put both it and you out of your misery.

*stay away from GEX.. it's bad, really bad

look into Headflow masters in California, https://www.headflowmasters.com/
or Mofoco in Wisconsin https://www.mofoco.com/
ROFL......or a piranha infested pond.... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
WPBBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

Ok...the Jury is in...I really appreciate the feedback. To answer i have an engine that run (supposedly) I was just looking to make sure that I install something that is reliable....perhaps I have to rethink the approach.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

Since Colin also lives in Florida, and travels the country helping people with their VWs, I'd hold out for an appointment with him.
He will know what your engine needs, and will make recommendations to keep it running well.

Check out Colin's website and 2020 itinerary...
https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewforum.php?f=59

Good luck with your new van/bus!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
Since Colin also lives in Florida, and travels the country helping people with their VWs, I'd hold out for an appointment with him.
He will know what your engine needs, and will make recommendations to keep it running well.

Check out Colin's website and 2020 itinerary...
https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewforum.php?f=59

Good luck with your new van/bus!

great suggestion. Just keep lots of coffee and ice cream bars around to help pass the day. He was going to come by here to say hello this month, here being the Sacramento CA area, but we aren't having anyone by due to this SARS-2 thing until vaccines are available. Colin is a very knowledgeable person who can help solve many VW issues. Robbie at AirSchooled is too but I don't think he gets to FL as frequently as Colin does.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

Whao, this is an insightful thread on Turnkey Engines...

There's a ton of shops in California. A handful of listed builders here on the Samba, just go to the classifieds and search "turnkey".

A real deal engine costs money. Like $7k and up. Don't be enticed by these "rebuilt" engines for $2600.

Especially GEX. They're absolute shit. You should see the pig of an engine I'm tearing apart for a guy now from GEX who's becoming one of my of my closest customers.

I've torn 4 GEX engines down this year. Sadly for my customer's pocketbooks, the strain on my eyes and knowledge, I'd rather have a good ole boy throwing back Busch Lights to build an engine than the thieves in Booneville, AR.

Don't cheap out on an engine. Do your research, and come up with your budget.

Then, surpass your budget by $2k. Nothing sucks the joy out of bus ownership more than messing with a sick, tired, hodgepodge engine.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

EMW is probably the only place I would trust to build me an engine these days. I dont even know if they have turnkey options though.

FAT performance maybe, but I thought I read some stuff awhile back that they had gone downhill.

There is also ACE performance engines. They are good.

Either way, you will probably be looking at $7-8K+ for a turnkey type 4 that isnt a complete POS.

Kinda makes you wonder about picking up a subaru engine for 2-3K doesnt it?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Turnkey Engines Reply with quote

WPBBUS wrote:

Don't use GEX, don't use AVP, both are trash. Headflowmasters might be OK, but find a good local VW group and see if there's a good trusted local person you can work with.

If it's the original 1700 that came with your bus, it may very well be rebuildable without having to replace every single thing like you would on a 2.0.

Share some pictures of your bus. Maybe start a new thread for it though, as jaded old pricks and even moderators can't help but to throw bits of their miserable existence into unrelated posts whenever possible. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: