Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

This Caravelle Carat in Cincinnati has even the ultra rare all grey seats! Usually they are grey and black/blue.
paolo99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

Hi Peeps

I confess to being the owner....

Great to see the comments, and VIN decodes etc....I took it to Campbell River on Sunday and got spotted

End of the season now, and wondering whether to go for a full on respray....

Really interesting to read the comments on the specs....it's like the bastard son of a bastard son...so many odd bits and rumour has it it was built by a guy with a greek sounding name in vancouver?
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

paolo99 wrote:
Hi Peeps

I confess to being the owner....

Great to see the comments, and VIN decodes etc....I took it to Campbell River on Sunday and got spotted

End of the season now, and wondering whether to go for a full on respray....

Really interesting to read the comments on the specs....it's like the bastard son of a bastard son...so many odd bits and rumour has it it was built by a guy with a greek sounding name in vancouver?

Congrats om a very rare breed. If the m-codes mentioned earlier are correct this van came from the factory destined for Canada with that interior. The 113 (Canadian model) in combination with 148 (electric rear seats) indicates that.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

I see you have it for sale in your classifieds.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Just stumbled upon this. Don't' know seller, blah blah blah. From the ad:

"Options: Reputedly one of 6 brought into Canada by VW for use as transport for their executives. This is the 2.6 litre 5 cylinder, & the engine, along with the rest of the van has been well maintained with invoices to prove. It's mated to a 4 Speed Manual Transmission with a higher gear ratio in 4th for cruising."

https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/ctd/d/volkswagen-vanagon-caravelle/6621588803.html

At first I assumed it was an engine conversion by a skilled independent but the interior and engine sure look legit to me. That said, I do see a bit of the adaptor plate and have to wonder if its a KEP.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How about a picture of the sticker on the engine showing it built and certified with the 2.6 liter for Import 1989 model year?

Without that, its just another made up story.

Good luck with sale - love that colour and stance
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
Just stumbled upon this. Don't' know seller, blah blah blah. From the ad:

"Options: Reputedly one of 6 brought into Canada by VW for use as transport for their executives. ......"

How about a picture of the sticker on the engine showing it built and certified with the 2.6 liter for Import 1989 model year?

Without that, its just another made up story.

Good luck with sale - love that colour and stance

Not sure if part of that was directed at me (I was quoted) but I think this thread contains hints regarding the engine install.

It's interesting to see that the current ad has some of the original ad text.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
paolo99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

I lose track of the threads and comments

I added some of the info posted here to the craigslist advert (not sure if that was wrong thing to do?)

Not sure on the made up story part, from a few posts further up, but I guess difficult to get accurate info 30 years later and with all the sleuths here, we still haven't got the full SP but it's all interesting.

Would love to find more info, and I asked at VW when she went for her recent recall which needed to be fulfilled so she could get into the USA

Really want to get those electric rear seats working, just for fun. Must be fuse/wire or switch as both non operational.

Another option is to part the interior but such a shame to destroy what is clearly a VW interior.

I contacted the gentleman I bought the van from this week, and was sadly informed that he had passed away 2 weeks ago in his sleep. Roger, if anyone knew him, was a lovely, game old boy and a real tinge of sadness when you hear that from someone who was spritely and up on his feet a mere 6 months ago.

Again, very grateful for all of the comments and help in this section and I was pointed here by a real cool dude, pro mountainbiker and creates electric custom cycles....turned up on a 1949 Schwinn.....this thing was waaaay cool....coupled with the fact he barrels along at 60km/h

If anyone has any more info on my Caravelle, it would be gratefully received
xichael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

I saw this van posted on craigslist today, and after some googling, found this old thread. Here's the new ad: https://victoria.craigslist.org/cto/d/victoria-cool-volkswagen-vanagon/6975805446.html

I've downloaded the images and posted them here for anyone who might happen upon this thread after the ad's been deleted: https://imgur.com/a/OvrhDKG
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

xichael wrote:
I saw this van posted on craigslist today

13 and a half years and this is your first post?!? Cool
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

erste wrote:
xichael wrote:
I saw this van posted on craigslist today

13 and a half years and this is your first post?!? 8)

Everything has been fine up until now.
xichael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

erste wrote:

Thought someone might notice Laughing I was amazed I could still log in
paolo99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

xichael wrote:
I saw this van posted on craigslist today, and after some googling, found this old thread. Here's the new ad: https://victoria.craigslist.org/cto/d/victoria-cool-volkswagen-vanagon/6975805446.html

I've downloaded the images and posted them here for anyone who might happen upon this thread after the ad's been deleted: https://imgur.com/a/OvrhDKG

I can supply the original images if anyone needs them
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

xichael wrote:
erste wrote:

Thought someone might notice Laughing I was amazed I could still log in

and I thought I was a old lurker! Laughing
Ironically, I own a 85' with an 2.6i Overland Swap from years ago, glad to come across this thread and see those install pics and unique van interior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

so it appears this Vanagon is still for sale.

Price appears to have been dropped: $8888 CAD:

https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1989-volkswagen-vanagon-26-liter-manual/7096174210.html

Not affiliated, just bored at home, curious why it's sitting. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 2.6 Litre Caravelle Vanagon. Rare? Reply with quote

I think someone's trying to flip this. I've seen it stalled out @ anywhere from 8-11k CDN over the past 3-4yrs. Now all of a sudden it's 20k and a new owner I think. Doesn't look like much has changed.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/893585294713734
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: