Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus flippers
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Bus flippers Reply with quote

Hi all! I don't normally hang out here but I do own a '69 Bay window 7 passenger Bus that Dad bought new. It is 99% original and 95% complete but has the usual rust and is not running. It needs the heads rebuilt at the moment. I grew up in this Bus so although I am quite attached to it and would like to restore it I have too many other projects and in retirement have to face the reality of the inevitable down sizing.

I advertised it on a local VW Face Book site about a year ago, got some genuine interest but then some dude who has never seen the Bus came on and ripped it to shreds. I lost any chance to sell it and refuse to go back on that site now.

A few weeks back someone put an ad up in our local post office looking for old VWs. I contacted him and he turns out to be a car flipper. Buys cheap and takes them to the city and sells for a profit. I turned him down but he is insistent and keeps calling back, tells me it's not worth much and keeps changing his story. Quite frankly I do not trust the guy! I offered him one of my 944s for about $1000 under market value if he wanted a car to flip but he told me that was not enough profit to bother with. I offered him a type 3 and type 4 for cheap but he is not interested, wants the Bus bad!

Are these Busses really worth that much to flip?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

depends on condition and what he wanted to buy it for$$
how much did he insult you for$$??
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

Decide on what you want for it. He will either pay it or not. If not, tell him to piss off. Can he bodge it up and make a profit? Maybe. He either agrees to the price and actually comes up with the cash or he does not. These buses attract some starry eyed dreamers as well as skanky Craigslist bottom feeding grifters. Cash on the barrel is all that matters.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

I had a bus for sale on craigslist like 6 years ago. Kept getting texts from different people offering me a couple hundred so they could go crush it.

I told each and every one of those sons of bitches to get down on all fours and eat. my. ass.

Don't tolerate lowballers or bullies. Tell them to fuck off if they aren't offering what you want for the bus.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

FB is full of toxic idiots, don't bother or be in any way effected by those reply's. CL has similar problems and is a dying platform. List it here and/or Hemmings to connect with the proper buyer. Yes, cities have a better market for a Bus, it can grab an impulse buyer by parking it in a high traffic area.

Post some pictures here to get feedback on value.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd decide on a price and post it on The Samba.
After all, it's free. Very Happy

But expect some serious low-balling. Rolling Eyes
Ignore those.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

In all fairness though, are YOU being realistic about the $ you expect?
We looked at a half-dozen buses before we got our '76. One Bus advertised right here on the classifieds had a Type 4 engine with a very heavy knock (owner claimed his buddy said it was perfect), clouds of blue smoke billowing on revs, a cargo floor we couldn't look at because the cargo area was filled with a "spare engine", and a front floor that had literal duct tape covering splits. The owner was "shocked" by the splits under the tape and had "no idea" that they were there.
My point is the owner wanted $8500 for a bus that needed a Type 4 engine rebuild and heavy amounts of welding. He obviously thought we were a couple of rubes. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.
How much do you think your "rust in the usual places" bus is worth?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

Frankly, rusty needs engine rebuild buses are plentiful. Your number of posts shows you should know that already so I am not sure what the reason is for this thread. You can browse classifieds here to see what a similar bus is listed for. $1000 - $2500 for a non-runner with rust is common. You probably already know that.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

to be fair, looks like op is into mostly kit cars, off road, and watercooled. but here a couple pics from his gallery. i do see delux trim...but not terribly helpful
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

$1000. No one leaves a bus in a damp field for long and expects the bottom to not be rusted away as well as mice infested.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

From the snow pic, it seems the classic, bottom 6" all-around is rotted.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

so it's a bus shaped VW that likely doesn't roll

shame is that it (was) worth more than kit cars & H2o.

It's parts or a serious dreamer.. keep it for another 25years and then it'll maybe be split restoration territory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

pricing it above scrap means that at least the parts that are worthwhile will get harvested.

the flipper may be your best bet.. take his lowest offer and double it. then work back from there. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

Ya the market here is likely the same as in the US except that there are fewer Busses that are not total rust buckets from the long winters and salt slop. But there are also fewer people looking for them!

The prices you guys mention are about what I see here too. I would not expect to get more than that. I told the car flipper I wanted $2500 just to scare him off but he said he still wants it at that price. I doubt he will give it to me if he shows up though, I would expect him to low ball it in person.

Price is not my priority anyway like I told him I would rather give it away to someone who would give it a good home than to get top dollar from a flipper or parts seller. Suddenly he was a car keeper with all kinds of promises about what he would use it for.

Listing it on the Samba would be a total waste of time, no one here is going to drive to Canada for a rusty Bus! Or pay the money to get it shipped.

If it truly is only good for parts (I see far worse ones being driven to the local VW meets here) then I will use the parts myself.

I'm thinking the best would be for me to get it running in the spring, take it to a local air cooled VW event and sell it to the first guy that talks sense about it's future for whatever he offers.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I told the car flipper I wanted $2500 just to scare him off ...

That seems fair for a bus in that condition, year, and family owned since new. I would not go lower.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
oprn wrote:
I told the car flipper I wanted $2500 just to scare him off ...

That seems fair for a bus in that condition, year, and family owned since new. I would not go lower.

Thanks! It will not take a lot of effort to get it running. The bottom end is still good I am just assuming the valves are needing doing because it was a bit fussy on the idle and tended toward the odd backfire up the carb at low RPMs. Could be something simpler but I am assuming the worse. I also "borrowed" one of the CV joints for my 944.

When I do get it running I will expect to get in the $2000 to $2500 range but will let it go for less if I like what I see and hear. Oh! It comes with a number of spares too including a used transaxle and a new windshield, the interior is complete with all seats and stock upholstery(has not been butchered for camping), has all 5 stock 14" and a set of older 15" Bus rims.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

there are alot of Canadians here on the samba, listing it is not a waste of time

and it's closer to the right 'family' to move it along to..
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

Post several pics of the bus as well as a description. I'll try and give you an honest appraisal.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus flippers Reply with quote

Here you go.

Mods from stock:
full flow filter
RX7 oil cooler
deep sump
tach mounted on the dash
oil temp and pressure gauges mounted under the dash
slide out RV style step for old folks access
trailer hitch
Still has the factory gas heater complete.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: