Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 vw bus automatic
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

Hi, so I found a 73 vw bus with an automatic. How rare are these? It does not have an engine or title, but I found a type 4 engine to go in it. If they are rare then I would like to scoop it up.
TheFonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

Rare- not really. Less common- yep.
-76' Westfalia (project for my dad as a thanks)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452223&highlight=
^Check out my restoration thread
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

They are much less common but not rare. The automatic transmissions are quite sturdy and work quite well though much less refined than on modern cars. I like mine though I prefer standard in general. Mine is original to my bus and it works so I have stuck with it. Buy it if you want to drive an automatic bus.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

Have to disagree a bit:

Buses before 1976 with automatic transmissions are quite rare. Very few sold, especially the ones with dual carbs - so that means '73-'74. ('74 Cali automatic got fuel injection).
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

Well if it is not super duper rare, then i think i will pass. It has no engine or title, so it will be a lot of work.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

hows the body? a solid one is something you should think hard about passing up.
less work in metal repair is a HUGE plus
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
hows the body? a solid one is something you should think hard about passing up.
less work in metal repair is a HUGE plus

X2. With buses these days value is all about rust. Or lack of.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

Yes, I think rust is really the first consideration. I don’t know how many of the early automatics were produced, but I never thought of them as rare enough to be sought after.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

1971 viv wrote:
Hi, so I found a 73 vw bus with an automatic. How rare are these? It does not have an engine or title, but I found a type 4 engine to go in it. If they are rare then I would like to scoop it up.

1973 is kind of the first year of the more modern buses. It has good crash protection and a hatch over the engine on top of the improvement introduced in the '72 model year. The auto is fine and nice to have if you are driving in city traffic a lot.
1971 viv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 73 vw bus automatic Reply with quote

The body does look good. But I think I need to finish my squareback first as I dont really have space for another project. Maybe if it is still available when I’m done I look more into it. Thanks for all the information about it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: