Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fork in the road
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Leave Westy in shop over winter? Or make a run for it?
Winter safe in shop
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Make a run for it
83%
 83%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 36

radar5667
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Hello Samba. I’m at a fork in the road. I got my Westy in May and I’ve spent time getting to know her and fixing the easy stuff. Not too many highly regarded Syncro mechanics in my neck of the woods so it’s been me and van sorting things out. Everything works, but I would like the entire cooling system done, CVs, solar, house battery system, truck fridge and propex heater installed. It’s a fair amount of work and I suppose if I am serious about traveling in my van I should man up and do it all myself. I have the Bentley and I have tools and a small shop. Now is time to get to the meat and potatoes. Did you learn everything about your van by doing it all yourself? Did you hire someone to do the work for you? It is almost winter and I have a choice to make. Leave the van safely tucked in my shop for duration of the winter (like until April 2021) and do what work I can. Or leave in my van shortly, traveling south before the big freeze into much warmer climate and deal with whatever happens on the journey. I have 10 weeks off of work starting in November which is very unusual for me. Not likely to have this amount of time off again without a major lifestyle change. So what’s it gonna be? Winter in the shop? Or hit the road runnin?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

50/50. I learned a lot as a 20 something exploring the open highways and byways of N America. That said I was a lot more easy going and willing to spend a night on. The side of a busy highway while I figured out how to adjust valves, grind a valve seat and rebuild a set of dual soles carbs.
Since then I’ve spent mucho horas in the garage turning a wrench.
I now feel ready for just about what ever comes along if it’s small I’ll repair it. If not I’ll get towed to Barstow or some other hot desert town to work out the issues. I now have a bit more money than time. Back then it was the opposite. There were also dubs in the junk yards. Not today.

My advice is. Life’s short. Pay for the AAA plus and hit the road. Find a good lady to balance your energy and give the samba members a holla’ when the Time comes u need us. I always answer the call when needed. Hit me up if on the side of the road in dusty Tucson.
Live life now so the memories are there later.

Ps nice looking rig.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.

Last edited by AZ Landshaper on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

radar5667 wrote:
Did you learn everything about your van by doing it all yourself?

Yes... except for:
Quote:
Did you hire someone to do the work for you?
Having a Subaru engine installed (Buslab).
Get the tools, buy the bits, read up on here on all the gotchas, and enjoy. Smile

Oh - and hit the road!
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

I learned by doing it myself, but also LOVE having a local mechanic to do all the stuff that's a pain or really best done on a lift.

I'd say fix only what you need to make the van reliable and start on your trip. You may not have this opportunity and you can save the upgrades for later. Also, by travelling in your van now, you'll get a good appreciation for what upgrades you prioritize.

Enjoy!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

If you've put a few thousand miles on it since May without issue, hit the road.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Bam. 100%. Make run for it Life’s too short. Don’t hang around till your too old or tied down w responsibilities.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Just slap that Heinkel on the back and hit the road. What could go wrong?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
kublerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Well, covid cases are spiking and hospitals are starting to run out of beds in more places across the country. May not be an ideal year to go all on the road.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Perfect time to go check out America’s wilderness areas (the ones that arent shut down due to covid.) dont surround yourself with people, take the road less travelled and roll the dice. Sounds like you are mechanically inclined. Amass a small arsenal of parts that may cause issues. Sounds like cv/axles may be nice to at least have on hand. Throw in an ignition switch, belts and come up with any other parts that seem worn and at the end of their life and hit the road. Maybe take the time to install the propex before you leave. Even in warmer latitudes, aux heat is nice to have. You might want to consider a gas espar. You never have to worry about fuel as long as you have gas in the tank. I guess this would also require the aux battery and solar so maybe not that quick and easy and would bite into your travel time. My diesel espar is one of my favorite upgrades. Well worth the time it took to install. Good luck and have fun.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

The stars are aligned for the road trip.

Start every day by lifting the lid and looking for trouble, coolant level, oil level, wet spots, just like Dave.

3000 miles is two months daily driving. Bring a bike , drive and enjoy.

If you are from WI you won’t need a heater in TX

Oh, and when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

-Yogi
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Multiman mirrors my thoughts. I have modified tons of boats and various buses/vans/181 things and houses over the years. I started out back in the Cretaceous by making everything perfect before the first cruise. I've learned it is far better--for me--to modify just the immediately obvious--like and an indoor/outdoor temp gauge and hit the road. The first night out I discover the bed idea I had would interfere with ....... and the light on the overhead I planned should really be on the other side. What happens is you wind up with fabulous experiences on the road/water and the exact vehicle/boat you want for what you actually do with it. I guarantee it will be different than what you dreamed you would do with it.

I had a friend who acquired a '46 Cris Craft runabout the same time I got a cruising sailboat. Both needed work. He took 8 years before he was satisfied with the perfect resto with 72 coats of varnish before the first ride. I went cruising every summer slowly correcting and modifying as I went along. My log books are something I treasure as they tell about both the process and the amazing things which happened to me an my family during the following years. I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world and now have a boat I am proud of and others tell me they think is beautiful. And my car? Well I think she is doing exactly what works for me.

My friend was disappointed in the power, speed and ride and sold it shortly thereafter. Would you buy a fixer upper house and rent an apartment for 10 years while fixing the kitchen, wallpaper and lighting?

Good luck and most importantly, have fun and great experiences.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

For example, if you need your Bentley when on the road, try this page. Great coffee and pastries.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

kublerwagen wrote:
Well, covid cases are spiking and hospitals are starting to run out of beds in more places across the country. May not be an ideal year to go all on the road.

Stay self contained.
Be careful when you must venture indoors.
Do all your own cooking and food prep.

You'll be fine.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

if you've done a few miles without much issues, pack a toolbox and hit the road south. The worst that can happen is breakin' down in the middle of nowhere but hey you've got a place to stay...
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Take the spoon so you don't miss a drop!

Ditto on buying the AAA Club towing package, a fire extinguisher or two, tools, spare wheel bearing, ignition switch, throttle cable, CV Boots and do the road trip.

Bring a camera and post your adventure.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

Go.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

syncro surf wrote:
Go.

What he said. We got our van early in the week and took it on a successful shakedown trip the following weekend, and after surviving that the next weekend we departed an already-planned 10-day 2,000 mile drive to the St. Lawrence River and back by way of southern New England.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517708&highlight=000

^ That stuff is about the van. Regarding what you should do for you, my advice is: If you want to be talked out of it, don't talk to me.

You'll have plenty of time to work on the van later.
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

If you've put a long trip in already, go on the 10 week vacation. Bring spares like hoses, oil, water tank water pump, etc. You'll never get a pocket of time like this again, so take it. There's tool supply and auto supply stores in every town in the country.

I like some of the other recommendations: AAA membership for towing. Extra tools. Stay as much self-contained as possible. Learn to cook in the van.

And don't overdo or overthink the modifications you'll make to the van; your ideas of the "perfect" location for a light or modification will change when you spend time in the van. My "perfect" setups that I dreamed about all winter with the van in the garage lasted about 10 minutes of actual use before I made a change.

I've just returned from a 17 day swing south form NC and SC and Kentucky. From that I'm taking the van south for the entire winter and not garaging it this year. Trip south to family late November for a few weeks (fly home for a month). Trip to the Everglades in January (fly home for a month). Trip to the panhandle and NO in March, bring the van back to Wisconsin. Salt roads be damned, I'll wash it good before I go but while it is a treasured car, the memories are more precious than potential rust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

You've satisfactorily gotten a few miles on her already. I say put a tool collection together with your Bentley, re-up your AAA, and map out where you think you'll be heading- research some good vw mechanics on your route, Synchro- knowledgeable, if possible, so if you end up in great need of mechanical assistance beyond your capability, you know who to turn to on the trip.
Schustie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fork in the road Reply with quote

I agree with the consensus.
Go for it! Get your essentials together as everyone has already stated, and hit the road.

Not much more I can add except perhaps add the APP Van Alert. They have a directory of "driveway Camp hosts" as well as hosts with tools and repair help, etc., sorted geographically. Build your database of potential help resources.

Have a great time!

"I like to see a day's travel in front of me and a day's travel behind me."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: