Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Modified the release arm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Route the cable through the body

Large rubber pad

First I lubricated the cables then routed them through body and around pedals. Applied strip caulking around bolt holes then locked down the cables.
I hammered out the activation rod then drilled a hole. I cut one side of a grommet and slid that over the arm along with more strip caulk around the opening. I did this because of the Bently Manual section about water leaks. I also riveted on some large rubber bump stops. I will lubricate the rubber with silicone paste and see how long they last.
There is now plenty of cable travel to easily release seat backs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

And to top it off seat release cover

Final location for ECU and rear defrost duct

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

looking good!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Definitely looking good. Nice creative way to go about the seat release lever. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouragement.
I received the new pulley and tension rod. Hopefully they fit , then work..
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Fidnt Dit
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Got some junk in the trunk

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Man, That seat release cable artistry is next level. Shocked
Making me look like a hack..!
I just took a page from Bob's playbook and did quick/easy on those. Razz
Pardon me while i go sulk and feel totally outdone..

One thing i can't wait to do (if my car ever gets done) is hit those regular V8 shows - Good Guys and the like.
Open the frunk and decklid, but leave the carpet over the engine hatch.
Watch them try and figure out where the motor is..
Laughing

The Beetle has been fun that way.
Rows of cars, all with their 'hood' open..
They get to the Beetle, look at the gas tank, and it takes a minute for it to register.
Some it takes a second or two, some never figure it out! Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Rear package tray covered, shoulder belts installed. I will paint defrost vent same color as other interior items.

Interior carpet almost finished.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

very nice finish Cool
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
very nice finish Cool

Agreed. Very nice. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Since I decided not to completely seal the motor compartment I decided to mount the alternator a little different.
I also received a pulley that should fit.

Mock up looks like it should work so I will clean everything up, find correct hardware and put it back together.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Carpet in the Frunk

Working on the alternator install, unsnap the carpet, roll it up, clip the hatch into place...

Of course with the new pulley none of my fan belts will go on... Confused
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Let us know how the alternator and brackets work out.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

that self reflecting stuff above your engine, is that autosticking sound dampener?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
that self reflecting stuff above your engine, is that autosticking sound dampener?

It’s high temperature fiberglass/foil insulation.
I have sound absorbing mat on top of the lid.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Got nothing done today.
High winds that knocked me off my feet. Temp structures blowing away even though anchored. Sat holding one for a while during peak winds so it wouldn't hit my Westy that is immobile.
Tree went down across the street and while they were cutting it up the one next to it came down while everyone scattered. Two doors down another let go.
Then while I was trying to save my little Pomegranate tree I get a call that my car covers are blowing down the street and the beautiful flowering Pear next to my driveway was on my neighbors car.
Grabbed the chainsaw and worked my way into the car. Nice it had a sharp chain blade.
Instacart guy dropped off order and said he had been working his way to deliveries around downed trees and blocked roads all over town.
I was able to secure the structures to other cars but they will probably need major repair after this is over. Hopefully morning won't be as bad as last night and today.
Long story short
Got nothing done today. Confused
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Finally got an alternator belt that fit the new pulley then installed with the bracket and turnbuckle. Belt is tight
Once I get everything else back on I will try again.

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Rear heat vents below seat

Rear window defrost vent from low light Ghia

New ISP push button covers

Now back to the motor. After installing alternator a getting all hooked back up cranked engine and got nothing. After some time figured out the rotor in the brand new Pertronix vacuum advanced distributor was bad. Thought eliminating extra variable of vacuum retard would help......all the tinkering trying to locate issue probably set me back to 0. Checked rotor with ohm meter and it was an open circuit.
After changing rotor I did hear engine trying to start so back to step one and work through.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

It now fires up AND idles.
Time to do final tune of FI. It is running a little less that 2 points too rich. I have a really good article using stoichiometry to dial in the bypass, wiper, spring triad. I won't be able to complete that until after the car is on the road to read O2 on the Freeway.
I will take today as a WIN, as far as the motor is concerned. Cool
Oh, it sounds amazing!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: